Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Northerly still there on 06Z, showing snow arriving next saturday evening, deep FI though but something I hope happens, ecmwf though needs to improve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Been light rain for about an hour or so....I give up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Been light rain for about an hour or so....I give up

Probably best. 2.2C right now after a high of 3.2C.

Cloudy though, meant to warm up through the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Ive went to chorley today and I saw grit all over the place. plus it wasnt

even icy there. Whats a point putting grit out while the weather is not

actually snowing/frosty?

thats 1 day worth of grit just been wasted.

Edited by pip21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

It could rain like it is here then freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Its snow graining here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Temperature currently at -0.5c here where it has been steady since about 1.30pm so it's looking like another ice day today. The last few days have been really strange though with the bulk of the cold appearing to be the surface type and this having the unusual effect of stripping more of the snow from the hills than down in the valley.

Posted

Light snow flurry here around 4pm, pretty chilly. Considering all we got on Thursday was freezing rain and sleet, last weekends snow is still around with lawns still covered ect. Although lower lying areas of town seem to of lost it.

Posted

Well I finally got my snow fix today, amazing what 7 miles further NE makes. It was quite astounding where the snow line started and finished around Clitheroe, talk about being a localised event.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted

Just look at those temperatures recorded in the east, day and night. That's what we're missing out on.

I can't remember the last time a cold spell failed to deliver as much as this one. There have been many times in the past when we've missed out on the snow due to unfavourable synoptics, but they were usually due to being too sheltered. This spell has been woeful, given how much more promising the synoptics have appeared to be - all that cold air around and we get nothing but rain. We're even struggling to get crisp sunny days and hard frosts now.

A complete and utter shambles.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Just look at those temperatures recorded in the east, day and night. That's what we're missing out on.

I can't remember the last time a cold spell failed to deliver as much as this one. There have been many times in the past when we've missed out on the snow due to unfavourable synoptics, but they were usually due to being too sheltered. This spell has been woeful, given how much more promising the synoptics have appeared to be - all that cold air around and we get nothing but rain. We're even struggling to get crisp sunny days and hard frosts now.

A complete and utter shambles.

The really cold air is in the south east, with its 'tendrils' reaching eastwards..but then we have mild to very mild air to our west over ireland and even to some extent scotland, so we never really stood any chance for really low overnight minima.

Anyway, its likely to be the last night of overnight frosts for those by the coast, tomorrow onwards temperatures climbing both by day and night. I would not be entirely surprised to see any of that colder air to the north end up over the north sea rather than land, but the east and north east are probably in a better position.

Could be that by Friday we could be close to double figures down here, and overnight highs of 6C...not long remaining now for autumn to change to spring unfortunately..roll on next autumn, we may even get a winter to follow it lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I really can't wait to see the back of this dreadful period of weather that passes as winter. I haven't seen the sun for over three days and it feels like a lifetime! Yet again today has been very dark and overcast with little or no wind. temperatures barely change through day and night, sitting around 3 to 4c.

Thoroughly bored.com now, I can't begin to stress how much. :lazy:

Posted

I really can't wait to see the back of this dreadful period of weather that passes as winter. I haven't seen the sun for over three days and it feels like a lifetime! Yet again today has been very dark and overcast with little or no wind. temperatures barely change through day and night, sitting around 3 to 4c.

Thoroughly bored.com now, I can't begin to stress how much. :lazy:

totally agree with you Liam, absolutely bored with the entire thing thats pretending to be winter, when in fact it isnt...the strange thing is, the amount of snow england has had, and we've missed the entire lot, even overnight lows are a joke -18C in the south and it struggles to get to -1C thanks to high pressure to the west..yawn

Posted
The really cold air is in the south east, with its 'tendrils' reaching eastwards..but then we have mild to very mild air to our west over ireland and even to some extent scotland, so we never really stood any chance for really low overnight minima.

That's the point I'm making - at least with most cold spells we actually get the cold if not the snow. This one has just teased us, allowing Atlantic infestations to ruin any chance of us getting something meaningful out of it. So close yet so far. A sickening waste.

Posted

ECMWF still not going for next weekend northerly, cant believe it, fear a gfs backtrack on 00Z's

Posted

this is one of

examples when snow missed us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

WOW 60% chance of snow next weekend.......YAWN....wake me up in December LOL

Anyone for a white christmas :rofl:

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

this is one of

examples when snow missed us.

It didnt miss me, i got 6 inches in less then 3 hours out of that, i think that was the one anyway if memory serves me correctly.

EDIT : maybe it was the monday night, not the tuesday, maybe someone from here remembers, i know we got some top ups in the afternoon on the wednesday anyway.

Edited by BUSTED FLUSH

Posted

ECMWF still not going for next weekend northerly, cant believe it, fear a gfs backtrack on 00Z's

Well it looks like some people are already starting to think, if they haven't done already about taking their customary 9/10 month break before we start to get on the cusp of next winter if the morgue that is currently the model thread is anything to go by.

Not a good sign to be honest, maybe I should just pack it in now myself and forget any wintry prospects for the foreseeable future but I just cannot stay away lol

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Not sure why you're all downbeat. I warned everyone last September that a weak nina leads to poor winters :p

Posted

Well it looks like some people are already starting to think, if they haven't done already about taking their customary 9/10 month break before we start to get on the cusp of next winter if the morgue that is currently the model thread is anything to go by.

These people are not true weather enthusiasts, IMO,. Weather happens all year round not just winter. I can't believe so many people on this site allow their lives to revolve around winter. I for one don't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

These people are not true weather enthusiasts, IMO,. Weather happens all year round not just winter. I can't believe so many people on this site allow their lives to revolve around winter. I for one don't.

Me neither,

I like to see snow falling and on the ground but TBH i get a bigger buzz from a good thunderstorm.

Snow is ok but there is a trade off with it (freezing cold mornings and bad driving and walking conditions) not found with most other weather and the freezing rain crap from this week just puts the tin hat on it..

Yes i like to go out walking, wrapped up in cold and snowy weather but i'd sooner go out walking in shorts and T shirt in warm summer conditions any day.

It's all down to personal preferences but as i get older, mine is heading more and more into the warm camp.

Posted

To be fair though nobody has said they are, they are winter/snow fans, which most including me are on here, but I am a dry weather fan so always interested in weather, on the models etc hoping for dry settled weather in spring and summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

I love snow - probably more so because I've seen so little of it during my 40 something years on the earth :-). Let's face it, if we were snowed in with -10 for months on end each year even then my bet is a lot of us would get fed up with it. We enjoy the excitement of will it/won't it each winter. Same goes for Summer heatwaves and thunder storms.

As sad as it is to have a non descript winter - without this it wouldn't be half as exciting when it does actually snow for us.

Just my feelings of course.