Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

But whenever someone discusses the possibility of showery cool wet weather in summer they get rounded on so maybe some people are put off posting in summer. I admit, i am a cold fan full stop, below average temps, whatever season, obviously nothing comes close to a good dumping though.

Posted

Light snow flurry here around 4pm, pretty chilly. Considering all we got on Thursday was freezing rain and sleet, last weekends snow is still around with lawns still covered ect. Although lower lying areas of town seem to of lost it.

Such a shame last Monday and tuesday were so mild seemed to lose most of the cover then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

These people are not true weather enthusiasts, IMO,. Weather happens all year round not just winter. I can't believe so many people on this site allow their lives to revolve around winter. I for one don't.

Magnificent post, and one I strongly agree with! I like a lot of different seasons all year round, for example winter in summer, and summer in winter, and of course traditional seasons.

I think we've had a decent spell of cold, and people's attitudes towards this cold spell remind me somewhat of the summer if 2004, when people suggested it was poor, when actually it was fairly decent. The reason I suspect is too much expectation, last December was a rare event, but I guess everyone expected another December '10.

I'll be looking forward to more Spring-like weather in the next weeks or so, and perhaps the emergence of some Spring flowers.

Posted

Magnificent post, and one I strongly agree with! I like a lot of different seasons all year round, for example winter in summer, and summer in winter, and of course traditional seasons.

I think we've had a decent spell of cold, and people's attitudes towards this cold spell remind me somewhat of the summer if 2004, when people suggested it was poor, when actually it was fairly decent. The reason I suspect is too much expectation, last December was a rare event, but I guess everyone expected another December '10.

I'll be looking forward to more Spring-like weather in the next weeks or so, and perhaps the emergence of some Spring flowers.

I am on this forum all year round - yes I tend to be on it much more in winter as I love the anticipation of deep cold and snow, but I also love the anticipation of a heatwave, or a thunderstorm and the first frost and fog of the season, the prospect of a late winter blast in April, the anticipation of the first magic 70f of the season, the anticipation of the first storm of the winter season, - there are so many reasons for staying in tume with the weather all year round.

As a whole though there are two times in the year when my enthusiasm can wane and those times tend to be during March especially if there is limited wintry or early spring warmth prospects, last March was a very trying period for weather watching, the other time in the year is the second half of Sept and well into October when we tend to see very benign weather - too early for cold and usually too late for warmth (last year was an exception).

Posted

Such a shame last Monday and tuesday were so mild seemed to lose most of the cover then.

Yeah that heavy rain, was it Monday or Sunday night? seemed to do abit of damage, but not as much as I thought it would. For some reason its not got quite as cold here as other places even though we have to snow. Unless that weather station at All Hallows is abit dodgy (have to admit that has seemed a little high this past couple of days). Like I've said before, its like travelling to a different town at times, in the center, not much evidence of snow, then as I get closer to home and it comes back again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Still got some sort of decent cover here, infact that rain hardly did any damage, only on the roads but it would have gone on the roads by monday anyway. Steady thaw here for last week but it certainly will be gone soon. When i sat here last saturday as the snow began to fall, viewing the GFS 6z, i would have said the snow would still be on the ground but not necessarily just the snow that was about to fall, infact i had visions of that morning being my last of feb without any snow cover, and by monday i was all but writing off winter, just shows you how quickly you can go from a really promising situation to a real kick in the nuts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well its been 3.3 degrees practically all day here and all evening weve had orange cloudy sky that looks like a snow sky! How annoying just not cold enough"......bummer! Yet my partner is freezing his gonads off at nearly -5 in barnsley!

Posted

Still got some sort of decent cover here, infact that rain hardly did any damage, only on the roads but it would have gone on the roads by monday anyway. Steady thaw here for last week but it certainly will be gone soon. When i sat here last saturday as the snow began to fall, viewing the GFS 6z, i would have said the snow would still be on the ground but not necessarily just the snow that was about to fall, infact i had visions of that morning being my last of feb without any snow cover, and by monday i was all but writing off winter, just shows you how quickly you can go from a really promising situation to a real kick in the nuts.

But who's to say it won't change back to a more favourable picture again? :p I wouldn't loose faith just yet, the models this winter have been really poor most of the time beyond t+76 I think. And even this past 2 weeks they've struggled within that time frame.

I know most of the region has not had much, if anything all winter, but for me until 3 years ago I hadn't seen snow cover last more than 3 days at most without fully melting. Now 3 years running including this winter, it's happened twice or more each year. Certainly not a poor winter in my book here even if it has nothing in terms of sheer snowfall and cold to the last 2 years. Suppose that's me comparing it to what I've grown up with in the 90s and most of the 00s :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

foggy over here, Temp of 2c

but no sign of any cold weather or storms arriving maybe not until next week.

This week is going to be one of those weeks which is dull, mild, cloudy and boring and nothing else. This week

which I do not looking forward to. hate this sort of weather. :bad:

Edited by pip21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

4.3C, overcast, boring, ugly.

Turning colder again by next weekend, from the NW this time, so perhaps some Irish Sea snow? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

take a look at this bbc pressure chart http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

by thursday it seems that the north westerlies, origiinating from greenland

are coming this way with some couple of cold fronts might providing

wintry/snow showers. Winter may strike back for vengence by then. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Overcast and depressing day here, even more so after hearing about Whitney. :(

Yep same here, it is sad about Whitney, a few tears in the eyes hear listening to her music on the news.

Posted

The next few days are going to melt most of the untouched snow areas even in the south east as temperatures could hit double figures by midweek. Then all eyes look to the north, although how significant this forecasted northerly/north westerly will be remains to be seen.

P.S. RIP Whitney Houston.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

4.3C, overcast, boring, ugly.

Turning colder again by next weekend, from the NW this time, so perhaps some Irish Sea snow? :D

Something to keep you occupied then bt :lol:

Posted

Yep same here, it is sad about Whitney, a few tears in the eyes hear listening to her music on the news.

I only find out about it 'because it's all over my F/B timeline, I haven't even seen the news yet. I grew up listening to her music.... What a waste eh?!

Very off topic, sorry about that.

Posted

Something to keep you occupied then bt :lol:

Something for us all to watch.

Why can't a polar low just develop in the Irish Sea and paste us all!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Something for us all to watch.

Why can't a polar low just develop in the Irish Sea and paste us all!!

Because a polar low cannot form in the Irish Sea as it defies it's own name! :p

Posted

Because a polar low cannot form in the Irish Sea as it defies it's own name! :p

Uhhh, yes it can, and has done many of times in the past.