Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

kold weather

Posted

Is this system due to change direction ...everyone is forecasting snow for here but the radar looks like it will clear here by 9ish ...am I missing something ...still nothing at all here ...just rain ...wet roads, no sign of the freezing rain also (not that we want that - v dangerous) ..temp still hovering around 0c

Can't see it happening yorkieblade. I'm not far from Bramall Lane and all looking rainy sleet and can't see that band shifting our way before it gets too far south, which it looks to me like it already is.

Hope I'm wrong tho may I add.

The band we need to look at is out in the north sea near hull. This is now moving north west! This is the first time I've seen a flow change! It will curve north west then south west towards south Yorkshire/north Derbyshire round 9pm giving us a couple of hours of snow

Can't see it happening yorkieblade. I'm not far from Bramall Lane and all looking rainy sleet and can't see that band shifting our way before it gets too far south, which it looks to me like it already is.

Hope I'm wrong tho may I add.

Posted

The band we need to look at is out in the north sea near hull. This is now moving north west! This is the first time I've seen a flow change! It will curve north west then south west towards south Yorkshire/north Derbyshire round 9pm giving us a couple of hours of snow

North West? You sure...

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

fat lady is singing softly here should be singing loudly by nine as the front clears away then a hard frost to come. Going to tricky tomorrow as they'll be plenty of black ice around after todays wet weather.

Posted

Steady snow still here in Grimsby, not sure for how much longer though. I recon we have had about an inch or slightly more. Current temperature -0.6

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

I admire your positivity lol

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Hope your right mate ..nothing here at all for 1.5 hrs and before was light drizzle

Posted

Look out in the sea the westward shift in the precipitation is causing it to veer slightly north as it moves over our region. The due south shift is stopping very quick on net extra radar

I have checked and rechecked, unless my bearings are totally out of kilter with the UK then the precip band in the N.Sea is moving a more SW direction.

Hmm I think the lack of snow is causing me to crack up! You are right! I think it was the precipitation expanding over the sea to the north west! Haha damn /:

I have checked and rechecked, unless my bearings are totally out of kilter with the UK then the precip band in the N.Sea is moving a more SW direction.

Posted

There is a chance of heavy snow across West and South Yorkshire later on.

Heres why..

The NMM for 8pm

post-8968-0-52469800-1328817324_thumb.pn

As you can see above there are two main clusters, one over North West England/Wales the other over the East midlands.

The reality is everything is further east by 50 miles, the meto radar shows where the PPN currently is.

post-8968-0-74344400-1328817314_thumb.pn

Red is the area that should be over the East Midlands, instead its over the North Sea.

Black is what should be over Wales and North West England (highlighted by the white circle)

Later on the NMM project these two clusters join together and push north and west, this should happen over Wales and western parts of North West England. Everything is further east so in theory the joining of the two fronts would happen across central northern england.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Still snowing here about an inch so far, temp -0.5c. Just had to drive to Sprunehorpe and back, more snow there,A15 main road from Sprunehorpe white over to Caenby Corner and very slippery!

Posted

been snowing here quote steady for over 2 hours - nice covering - how long is this expected to last now

An hour tops I would say.With a bit of extra luck perhaps slightly longer.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

This has turned into another quite good event here. Today already classed as a snow day at 0900 by MetOffice standards as we just managed to hold onto a half cover from Saturday evening's dumping. Tonight has then seen another inch or so on top of that and its still snowing.

Just driven into Hull and the roads were OK, but get past Saltend and it was just tracks and very slippery!

Currently -0.2C and dewpoint of -0.9C so it'll be treacherous in the morning as it wont be going anywhere.

Posted

An hour tops I would say.With a bit of extra luck perhaps slightly longer.

cheers - the area still off the coast - where is this heading

Posted

There is a chance of heavy snow across West and South Yorkshire later on.

Heres why..

The NMM for 8pm

post-8968-0-52469800-1328817324_thumb.pn

As you can see above there are two main clusters, one over North West England/Wales the other over the East midlands.

The reality is everything is further east by 50 miles, the meto radar shows where the PPN currently is.

post-8968-0-74344400-1328817314_thumb.pn

Red is the area that should be over the East Midlands, instead its over the North Sea.

Black is what should be over Wales and North West England (highlighted by the white circle)

Later on the NMM project these two clusters join together and push north and west, this should happen over Wales and western parts of North West England. Everything is further east so in theory the joining of the two fronts would happen across central northern england.

I hope you are right!! ive given up already!

Posted

Well that was a great snow event here with another 3 inches.There must be at least 5 inches in the fields now.I'll take some pics in the morning.

Posted

cheers - the area still off the coast - where is this heading

Roughly in a SW direction so you could get an extra fall of snow if yoy are lucky

Posted

3 inches here this evening..........and up on the Wolds Way at the top of the village about 8 in the fields now ........

just very light snow now .......but perhaps a bit more if that stuff in the North Sea goes W or SW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

I drove home from Donny to Bev this eveining and the journey was quite interesting and demonstrates the capriciousness of this 'event' although there is a theme. It had been raining steadily but lightly in Donny but this had just turned to snow and was just dusting the pavements as I left Donny. This continued in this vein until I passed Thorne on the M18 when it began to come down a little heavier and the outside lane began to white over. This was the situation until the N side of the Ouse Bridge when the outside lane became completely white and no-one was using it. Towards Gilberdyke the entire motorway become white and I exited the M64 and headed into N Cave. Here and into S Cave it was the worst, there was at least 2 inches on the ground (possibly more) and it was still pouring down. The conditions were very poor and I was grateful for my winter tyres!

I left S Cave with some trepidation and headed for Rudstone Walk on the B1230. Amazingly this was completely clear and the road continued much in this condition into Beverley where the raods were pretty much black (wet) with about an inch on pavements etc. This is lying on the existing snow which has not melted.

In summary it appears that it is rain further West with a band of heavier and drier snow in between, with the snow getting wetter and less heavier the further East you go.

I have also looked at the precipitation over the N Sea and, to be honest, I am not sure what it is going to do. I will just have to wait and see.

Always nice to see more snow but I would prefer to live in S Cave tonight. I hate being greedy.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Snow has finally stopped here. Been steady to heavy snow since 1:30ish. Definitely not what I expected! Seems to be a solid 2-3" of additional snow today... maybe more. Still wouldn't be surprised if whats out in the North Sea starts to push back westwards and give us a little more before this is over...

Posted

got about 3 inches here in cleethorpes, not bad :drinks: temps are good to -0.6c dew point at -0.7c :drinks: