Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Rooms In Your House

4wd

Posted

The coldest one here could be described as a box room or store and though it has a radiator it's on a minimum setting, the radiators here run from a wood stove so don't work until someone wakes the stove up.

It has a double glazed window but it's often noticeable that draughts come up around the skirting board,

Anyway this morning I had to go in there about 10 am and it was only 6.2C!

I looked in again just now and it is comparatively cosy at 9.3C.

I'll hasten to add most of the house is about 15C or more and the room with the stove about 21C just now.

Last night was viciously cold with temperature below -4C and wind gusting around 25mph.

Posted

When we first moved here in the 70s there were draughty sash windows and minimal heating apart from an open fire and back boiler in one room downstairs.

I remember having some frog spawn and tadpoles in a large jar in my bedroom and there being ice on it.

So I guess that was sometime in March.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Last year a had new gas filled double glazeing instaled and the loft double insulated. It realy does not seem to be any warmer at all ! We dont have gas where i live so have to rely on storage heaters which are a real faf to regulate. We use our spare bedroom as a kind of walk in wardrobe, but there is no heater in there and can drop down to 4 or 5C sometimes. I could plug an oil filled radiator in there but it would cost an arm and a leg to keep that running 24/7, so every now and again i run the dehumidifier in to keep the damp at bay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I have a cold zone in the house containing the washing machine/dryer and downstairs toilet. It is completely unheated and shut off from the kitchen (which is heated) at all times. Needless to say, the downstairs toilet doesn't get a lot of use in the winter months!

I measured the temperature in there last winter - it was around 6 or 7c.

Posted

Every blummin room.No central heating and one blow heater and one Halogen heater with 1 of the 3 tubes working.My living room regularly gets below 10c when colder weather is happening.So far ,in the living room [this one has my heating equipment in it ]I, have recorded 5c. Other rooms were probably lower. Currently in living room ,with halogen heater on, it is 11.8c. I am fully garbed in coat ,hat and several layers of clothes.

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The downstairs loo gets pretty chilly, though I don't measure the temperature in there! In 09/10 the temperature in the house was regularly only 15C, and much colder than that in the room above the garage due to single glazing and a weak boiler. Since we got double glazing and a new boiler last spring the temperature has rarely dropped below 18C in the house, other than in the loft and downstairs loo. Even when we were away for a week in December the temperature was still 14C despite the central heating only being set to come on low a couple of hours a day. The heating isn't on all the time either, I just have a warm house now. When we got back from spending a month in Florida last summer we set the thermostat at 25C for a couple of days, and that felt beautiful!

My next door neighbour always has their house at 25C, and as I live in a semi detached house I'm sure some of their warmth helps heat our house.

Posted

I have a nice warm flat in Portsmouth, but over the last year I have had to rent a cheap place in London (in addition to the Portsmouth flat) for work purposes. It is basic to say the least and has no central heating or double glazing. I returned on Wednesday after a couple of days in Portsmouth to find the living room measuring a frigid 3C. Fortunately a Calor Gas heater and hot air fan quickly get the temperature up to 20C+ but it does leave the bedroom, kitchen and bathroom very cold. Thus I have been sleeping in the living room during this cold spell as I am regularly having to get up at 0230-0400 for work. In the peak of summer we couldn't get any air in the flat at all and we had the opposite extreme!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Just wondered 4wd, on your website last winter your season total of snow was an astonishing 44 inches. What is the most you have ever seen?. I can imagine you have seen some impressive totals in your location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Here in Newcastle we had a total of 25 inches last winter, but the largest depth at any one time was 16 inches / 40cm.

Posted

Every room in the house I grew up in! Only single glazed windows didn't help, especially when you consider the house backed onto open fields less than half a mile from where the Woodford Met office station is now - notorious frost hollow! Ice on the inside of windows and seeing your own breath while in bed was fairly commonplace. It was nice when the heating worked, but it seemed like the boiler was on the blink far too often!

The house I'm in now is tropical by comparison!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Same with our new one bit daft that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

My next door neighbour always has their house at 25C, and as I live in a semi detached house I'm sure some of their warmth helps heat our house.

My brothers mid terraced house benefits from that sort of thing. I think his neighbours moved from warmer climbs so run their heating quite high meaning he doesn't have to.

However our house is a detached former coach house with no cavity wall space, limited insulation (although much better than when we moved in) and catches easterly winds more than any other (we're on a hillside facing south east but with large houses opposite blocking out the sun outside of summer).

Heating the living room (whole house really - it's a big space with stairs straight off it) to 18c in the morning means it can be 11-12c by the time the heating comes on 8 hours later. It has been taking 6 hours to reach 20c.

Winter is expensive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

My bathroom is always freezing, always, even in summer, it's always freezing cold.

Besides my bathroom, my kitchen is often cold

Edited by Aaron