Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 8

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Welcome to the new thread everyone: Please continue here….

Link to the old one here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72536-north-west-of-england-regional-discussion-part-7/page__st__800

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well for the first time in 5 nights I can see the stars! Today was another horrid grey affair which passed without a hint of blue sky let alone sunshine. It turned quite foggy this evening but the cloud has managed to clear overhead to reveal the night sky albeit with patches of fog drifting off the sea from time to time.

I hope the clear skies manage to hold out until the morning, I've forgotten what a sunny morning feels like!

Currently 2.9c.

Keeping my eye on the potential northerly outbreak for the end of this week, this evenings 18z was quite tasty with -10c uppers and plenty off PPN over NW England in the form of snow.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Well for the first time in 5 nights I can see the stars! Today was another horrid grey affair which passed without a hint of blue sky let alone sunshine. It turned quite foggy this evening but the cloud has managed to clear overhead to reveal the night sky albeit with patches of fog drifting off the sea from time to time.

I hope the clear skies manage to hold out until the morning, I've forgotten what a sunny morning feels like!

Currently 2.9c.

Keeping my eye on the potential northerly outbreak for the end of this week, this evenings 18z was quite tasty with -10c uppers and plenty off PPN over NW England in the form of snow.

Fingers crossed but it looks like an outlier and the countryfile forecast has its doubts as well, just watched it on the BBC iplayer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Lovely morning today. Quite refreshing in the breeze which is surprising as its a nwley. But it is an azores nwley. Clouds clearing and red sky. Makes a pleasent change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Currently 2.9c.

yep the 00z and ECM both showing it now for sunday.. things can change so once again like i said late last week i will reserve judgement til later in the week. Credit to the GFS though if it comes off, been showing it for days now

Posted

and its still there on the 06z allbeit a bit earlier!! bring on the watered down version on the day ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

and its still there on the 06z allbeit a bit earlier!! bring on the watered down version on the day ha

Yes mate GFS 06Z Shows a wintry weekend for the NW,like you say thought this is the GFS

and i cannot help this will get watered down in the next couple of days,but for now nice

to look at and if it verifys some nice beefy snow showers for the region starting saturday evening

and now back to reality....let the down grades begin LOL :lazy:

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

Yes mate GFS 06Z Shows a wintry weekend for the NW,like you say thought this is the GFS

and i cannot help this will get watered down in the next couple of days,but for now nice

to look at and if it verifys some nice beefy snow showers for the region starting saturday evening

and now back to reality....let the down grades begin LOL :lazy:

C.S

haha yeah mate it can only get worse, early days though so we'll have to play the waiting game... prob end up as a nice sunny northerly haha

Posted

Well I can hear thé gusting winds outside so to my untrained eye/ears that would suggest thé Atlantic has taken over again, neither is there any real sign of it letting up anytime soon.

But tbh I don't really care about another prolonged cold spell anymore, we just had one of those and it delivered diddley squat for quite à few of us in this region so à breif transient snow event to see out the winter as has been depicted by thé models for next weekend would do me just fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Fog can be lethal especially during rush hour on a motorway. Take a look at this incident at M6.

Six people are still being treated in hospital, one with serious injuries, after an accident in fog closed the M6 near Penrith in Cumbria on Sunday. Police say 12 cars were involved in a pile-up, with ambulances ferrying the injured to hospital because the helicopter service was grounded by the weather.

Fog_Crash.jpg

M6, Near Penrith

Edited by pip21

Posted

GFS 12z continues the theme for a wintry weekend in the NW

plenty of snow showers pushing in on a NNW saturday afternoon

a very brief afair it has to be said but for those areas who missed out last

week IF the GFS verifys then a bit of snow is likely

C.S

Posted

Fog can be lethal especially during rush hour on a motorway. Take a look at this incident at M6.

Six people are still being treated in hospital, one with serious injuries, after an accident in fog closed the M6 near Penrith in Cumbria on Sunday. Police say 12 cars were involved in a pile-up, with ambulances ferrying the injured to hospital because the helicopter service was grounded by the weather.

M6, Near Penrith

I'll be amazed if that doesn't have a fatality, I know the fire brigade will probably of cut some of them cars apart to free trapped passengers but how someone can get out of that right hand car alive is a miracle.

Sadly it looks like the fog last night did claim one life in Cumbria... http://www.bbc.co.uk...umbria-17009236

I know when driving home last night the fog was limiting visibility down to about 25m in places and most were driving around 30mph, yet a couple of cars were still using the outside lane of the dual carrageway through Macclesfield and were driving like it was a clear sunny day. Annoyingly some people just don't think these days when driving.

Edit - Given the recent high profile of pile ups on motorways, especially from fog, I'm amazed how there isn't a story about this on the BBC.

Edited by Martin M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Things looking promising for us here in the NW for this weekend. Fingers and everything else crossed for no downgrades.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Things looking promising for us here in the NW for this weekend. Fingers and everything else crossed for no downgrades.

Looking good for nearly everyone on Sunday....if only it would stay like this.... :rolleyes:

post-10773-0-22933800-1329154048_thumb.p

Posted

Looking good for nearly everyone on Sunday....if only it would stay like this.... :rolleyes:

post-10773-0-22933800-1329154048_thumb.p

I like the look of that, as I'm in the heavier stuff. What a pity it will look absolutely nothing like that come nearer the time. :sorry:

Posted

I like the look of that, as I'm in the heavier stuff. What a pity it will look absolutely nothing like that come nearer the time. :sorry:

it's already looking less potent than this time yesterday and this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

GFS 12z continues the theme for a wintry weekend in the NW

plenty of snow showers pushing in on a NNW saturday afternoon

a very brief afair it has to be said but for those areas who missed out last

week IF the GFS verifys then a bit of snow is likely

C.S

12Z actually seems to have upgraded after the northerly, mon 20th Feb, looks like a favourable angled Atlantic attack, but I do expect the northerly to be downgraded

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

M6, Near Penrith

Tragic, it's a wonder people weren't killed looking at the mangled wreckage in the pic. People don't slow down for the conditions which were pretty nasty over much of the county last night.

Snow this weekend? :p

Posted

12Z actually seems to have upgraded after the northerly, mon 20th Feb, looks like a favourable angled Atlantic attack, but I do expect the northerly to be downgraded

I Fully agree the old problem with the GFS,one we get within 48hrs it will totally dismiss the idea

C.S

Posted

ECM says no, more downgrades to come I feel.

But the big three do of sorts agree on the weekend for a NNW

GFS and UKMO for a period of 48hrs,ECM only a brief 24hr affair,yes i admit

you would have to favour the ECM given the GFS past records in these kind of

set ups,the GFS would obviously be my cup of tea and i would bank it right now

why?well because it gives our region a unstable NNW with PPN of the irish sea

which at this time of year can give us irsih sea stremers and plenty of heavy snow showers

with lots of convection and evap cooling.

i think at this stage a halfway house between the GFS and ECM ls the likely outcome.

C.S

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

A pointless day of weather here in Oldham today, just a rapid thaw of remaining snow and rain showers, 7'C.

Still unsure about this weekend, signs point to a confident cooler phase with possible snow, but this will be very short lasting because as we progress through next week the outputs show more average or mild temperatures again (and a lot of rain) :(.

History; in terms of Winters that have had mild starts and cold ends; does show that another cold snap is expected, possibly late Feb/early March I suppose.

Despite that me, (and I'm sure along with many others), are mostly eagerly anticipating April and May now.