Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Strikes Back! Early April 2000

Weather-history

Posted

Very nice to see! I think I've only seen snow in April in two or three years so it's not all that common here. I'd love to not only see snow this April but see my first ever lying snow in April here in Torrance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It's been a while since I've seen proper April snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my only snow of that winter 3-4 april 00, was also featured in airline at luton airport, disrupted flights, in the same airline show, liverpool airport no snow

all these bbc weather forecasts class! been viewing them all (bismuthcadmium) the one for 24th June 1994, serious storms for SE England, never seen rain like that on bbc radar

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

I don't have particularly vivid memories of that event - I think we did manage some snow showers but nothing particularly heavy. It seems a forgotton event - but it was potent for the time of year - giving southern parts much more wintry conditions than experienced all winter.

For those who say winter is over by end of feb - the above broadcast proves them wrong and how northerlies well into April can bring very wintry conditions. Maxima of 2-3 degrees is very cold for early April. I think the Arctic had been very cold during winter 99/00, a bit like the winters of 97/98 and 98/99 when northerlies in April delivered the snow goods. There does appear to be a link with cold late blasts of winter in April following on from mild winters - 2008 being another example, and going further back 1993, 1994 delivered cold wintry blasts in April after relatively mild winters, 1989 as well and 1981. Coincidentally the last three Aprils have failed - coming on the back of cold winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

What a day that was, I remember it well - probably one of the first days of weather I remember very vividly. It's such a shame those sort of synoptics are so rare because I would happily take that this spring after the autumn we've had!

winter*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

We had almost 9cm of snow on April 4th 2000 and a 24 hr max' of 2.1c on the 3rd; it was the largest single April snowfall since 1981. It was also the wettest April on record here with 156.0mm so all in all an excellent month.

Posted

Although I remember it fairly well, the thing that I will never forget from this month was that about 2 or 3 days later after the snowfall we have a magnificent auroral display. The only time I have seen the aurora, other occasions the weather hasn't played ball or I have missed out because I didn't know it was happening. Unforgettable sight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At Cleadon there was heavy and persistent rain and sleet overnight 2nd/3rd with a temperature around 2C- low altitude and the winds off the North Sea restricted the extent of the snowfall there. The 3rd remained cloudy, with some snow flurries during the afternoon. The 4th had sunny intervals and some potent snow showers with temperatures dropping by a few degrees in some of the heavier showers, but there was no lying snow.

Interestingly Hastings had a snow cover early on the 4th according to Weather Log with a minimum of 0.1C, as the main frontal belt continued to produce snowfalls on its northern flank as it cleared southwards.

Btw was the forecast by Sarah Wilmshurst issued on the 3rd rather than the 4th? It looks like it judging by the synoptic progression.

Posted

Snowed here all day on the 4th but didn't stick. My brother was on a geography field trip to the North York Moors and much of it got scrapped due to blizzard conditions.

What I didn't realise at the time was how much warmer it was nearby - up to 17C in the Netherlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I remember that day very well, I was moving house - from one part of the Mendips to another. Getting those big Pickfords lorries around narrow, snowy, Somerset lanes was an absolute nightmare.

• 10 months later...
Posted

I remember this day very well.

I was using a ride on mower; cutting golf greens for 7 hours in continuous moderate-heavy sleet and a strong NE wind.

Despite full waterproof gear and plenty of layers I've rarely been so cold and miserable and ended up wet through and suffering mild hypothermia.

When I went indoors for the half hour lunch break I was unable to eat or speak for the first half of it and by the time I'd thawed out enough to function it was time to go back out again.

What fun!

Posted

I remember this day very well.

I was using a ride on mower; cutting golf greens for 7 hours in continuous moderate-heavy sleet and a strong NE wind.

Despite full waterproof gear and plenty of layers I've rarely been so cold and miserable and ended up wet through and suffering mild hypothermia.

When I went indoors for the half hour lunch break I was unable to eat or speak for the first half of it and by the time I'd thawed out enough to function it was time to go back out again.

What fun!

Lol, after that, it baffles me why you like such climes. :crazy:

Posted

Lol, after that, it baffles me why you like such climes. crazy.gif

Aye, perhaps it's a bit like women and childbirth. The memory of the pain soon fades and you're ready for the next session, if session is the right word in that analogy.