Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meteorite Burn Up 'over Uk'

Posted

Hi all,

Did anyone else see the magnificent fireball tonight about 21.40 ? Went North to south in the East ? Biggest I've ever seen .....

Posted

Jeez no ..... Seen plenty of those, this was defiantly a meteorite ... Had a mate call from Stoke he saw it to from th M6 ..... So not local to North Warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

It was seen in multiple locations all over the UK, have a look on meteor watch.org. Definitely a very bright meteor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

It seemed to go directly over Birmingham.You could see bits & lumps coming off into the tail :clapping:

Edit; Certainly between me and you W09 :p

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Sky news have it on their ticker ..... Met office confirming a meteorite :) cool

I guess at that altitude it's probably over the North Sea or further ......

Posted

I've just been watching the start of Independence Day on E4+1, the bit where the alien spaceships arrive in huge fireballs.............during the first ad break I switched on Sky News and read reports of a fireball spotted in the skies over Northern England!

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I saw one last Thursday. It was magical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Hi all,

Did anyone else see the magnificent fireball tonight about 21.40 ? Went North to south in the East ? Biggest I've ever seen .....

OMG yes! I concur, the brightest one I've seen......was closing up at work when I saw it head N-S across the sky.

Posted

ROFL of all the nights to be watching Independence Day. Missed this one, but saw a meteor a handful of years ago around October time which was also well reported in the Northwest area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Guys calm down, it was only 400 miles wide. :rofl:

Posted

The more I think about it, the more i'm starting to think I could have seen a flare-up reflection of this. I can't remember what time the ad-break during ID4 was on, but I had gone into the bathroom to set one of the chargers and remember seeing a blue hue across the frame. Thinking to myself that the Moon was bright tonight, infact it would have been on the opposite side of the house facing east. Shrugs, Having seen 2 myself I can vouch that anyone lucky enough to see this won't forget it in a hurry.

The BGS seisometers are also quiet for that period in time, so unlikely it came to ground intact on the mainland.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

400 miles is pretty big.

I never saw it but it was apparently seen over Leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Why do I keep on missing these things? First the northern lights, now this.. sheesh, I need to start paying attention.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Why do I keep on missing these things? First the northern lights, now this.. sheesh, I need to start paying attention.

Buy a dog.

You will see lots of interesting things while out walking day and night.

Posted

well we were coming back from Dartmouth when we saw one from Slapton line at about 7.45pm on Friday night out over the sea,it was glowing red

with a shimmering blue tail it was awesome trouble is i can't find no reports about that one.

Edited by BARRY

Posted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17248959 I see the BBC are on there toes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

I walk every night, out and away from nearby streetlight pollution etc. and when it`s clear I see a trailer quite occasionally maybe once a fortnight (at cost of falling over obstacles and walking into fencing etc.) but gutted I missed this one?

Not taking into account doomsday trash-talk but on Sunday the 5th Feb I saw the longest brightest meteorite I have ever witnessed except this was opposite heading due north from south lasting over a second which is long for an object moving at tens if not hundreds of thousands of MPH so are we seeing an increase and for a particular possible reason?

Watch the next one introduce a global apocalyptic wipe-out of all life-form within 1000 hrs just after my lotto win :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Seems its not only just us http://science.nasa....ruaryfireballs/ seems strange to me something doesnt add up IMO

Does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Posted

Does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Nope but NASA admit on that website that they don't understand how these meteorites are getting here from the asteroid belt. There is no common source and there seems to be a large peak in February, although there are a couple of other peaks throughout the year. As for conspiracy..... This is the internet. Why are you surprised?? :D

Posted

Indeed, a 1990 study by astronomer Ian Holliday suggests that the 'February Fireballs' are real. He analyzed photographic records of about a thousand fireballs from the 1970s and 80s and found evidence for a fireball stream intersecting Earth's orbit in February. He also found signs of fireball streams in late summer and fall. The results are controversial, however. Even Halliday recognized some big statistical uncertainties in his results.

There we have it.