Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2012 Kit / Equipment & Shopping List

Paul Sherman

Posted

Back by popular demand and more especially for the Newbies coming out Chasing for the 1st time, these threads usually throw up things that maybe some of the newbies have forgotten etc

My List for 2012 as Follows

Got/Taking

Barons Wx - An essential piece of Kit

Streets and Trips 2010 (GPS Kit)

Laptops x3 Wifi Enabled

3 x Microsoft GPS Recievers

Verizon & Sprint Datacards to run GRLevel3 and Live Stream whilst on the Move

Tripod

2 x Canon EOS Batteries

2 x Panasonic Video Recorder Batteries

1 x CanonXs

1 x Canon 400d

1 x Panasonic Handy Cam

1 x Sony HD Camera

2 x 8Gb Sandisc Card

12 x DAT (Digital Audio Tapes)

Polarising Filter

Remote Release Cable

70-300mm Canon Lens

18-55mm Canon Lens

10-28mm Canon Lens

About 10 cables and Invertors for what we need to run in the Cars

4 way adaptor (Essential for when we are in the Hotel)

1 x UK/USA Plug Adaptor

1 x Dashboard Suction Mount

3 x Radio Units (6 Mile Range)

2 x Weather Radios

Clothes

Shades

Open toe Sandals

Trainers

Waterproof / Fleece

Cd's - This is useful as we can alternate the Music XM Radio gets repetative

Passport

Money

Flight Tickets

INSURANCE

The list goes on and On

It is also a really good idea for people to Bring Cd's as a varied variety is very good, if you are burning Tracks to Cd the tradition is to donate the Cd's to the Stormchase CD Library, that way we collect more and more every year and not just play ABBA GOLD wallbash.gifaggressive.gif

The cars also had MP3 Slots where people could plug there tunes staright into the Car and play their playlists

Please add what you are taking and things I might have forgotten or what might be a good idea, Insect Repellent for Recluse Spider Bites for instance

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

My list:

Myself,

I'll look into burning some music cd's, from ipod / mp3 player

Lots of fresh pants

Posted

Back by popular demand and more especially for the Newbies coming out Chasing for the 1st time, these threads usually throw up things that maybe some of the newbies have forgotten etc

My List for 2012 as Follows

Got/Taking

Open toe Sandals

Paul Sherman

Is that open for just the big toe or little toe? :fool:

And you not taking a mobile phone this year I see?

Do you want my radar detector (hmmm saves money.....)

Posted

I never take a Mobile - I just use the Netweather One Quentin. Calls back to the Uk at 0.01p per minute, I am a cheapskate me, or I get Big Dog to phone on his moby at £3 per minute, I pay him back with bowls of water and Winalot when we get back to the Uk ;)

Posted

I pay him back with bowls of water and Winalot when we get back to the Uk ;)

Mega lols! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by lewisosd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The livelier the better!

Can anyone please recommend a reputable insurance company which covers storm chasing? I have standard travel insurance - but to upgrade is an obscene amount!! :nea:

Kirstie

x

Edited by windygap

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Paul,

Have you still got that Tornado Warning Alert Tensioner that was bought in Joplin last year and then attached to an appropriately named acronymed car? You must remember - the one the state trooper took an interest in?

Posted

Paul,

Have you still got that Tornado Warning Alert Tensioner that was bought in Joplin last year and then attached to an appropriately named acronymed car? You must remember - the one the state trooper took an interest in?

Lol

Lol very funny story with that actually and you have just reminded me I have to get Tom back for what he did to my car as well.

Giving a Car back to the Rentals with " I'm A Barbie Bi t ch" and a picture of a Dog dressed up in pink stuck flap side down to your Window Visor is not a good thing, I dont even know what made me look there when we were cleaning the cars out, all I know is it went into the Bin at DFW Airport with the above mentioned Device you mention above. Security must have had a field day on June 12th last year. Pmsl

Posted

Don't forget if you're on Tour 3 to take plenty Ibuprofen ;) There's a couple of birthdays on that one :whistling::drunk:

Also some bug off juice stuff for the mozzies in the evening!

Can anyone please recommend a reputable insurance company which covers storm chasing? I have standard travel insurance - but to upgrade is an obscene amount!! :nea:

Kirstie

x

The one most people use has now stopped covering storm chasing for whatever reason, Kirstie, but keep an eye out on here as I think someone is looking in to an alternative :)

Posted

Also some bug off juice stuff for the mozzies in the evening!

:)

Ahh Walgreens, the home of "Bug Off Juice..." usually the first stop on most tours, although I believe our beloved leader (AKA The Sherminator) uses this as an excuse to stock up on lowly American beers, and some Imports... don't be fooled by the mans' mild nature and kindness, underneath he's :crazy: . He will get you a gnat hairs breath of a tornado, and send you headlong into a hailstorm that will punish even the tough.

The Sherminator lives, breathes and eats supercells.

Oh and I forgot to mention he's away from home for 4 weeks with no mobile, does his wife know?

Does she heck....... :nonono:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Paul,

:lol: still got photos of that on my laptop!

Posted

Oh and I forgot to mention he's away from home for 4 weeks with no mobile, does his wife know?

Does she heck....... :nonono:

7 Weeks actually - By the way she just read this and said she could not give a Flying..........................Cow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Camera experts! Probably been asked a million times before, but, I'm currently looking at buying either the Canon EOS1100D or the Nikon D3100. Both come with an 18-55mm lens. The Nikon is obviously a bit more expensive but is it worth the extra you think? I see it also does 1080p 24fps video where as the Canon is only 720p. Is there a massive difference between the two? Cameras I mean, not HD resolution :rolleyes: Been reading a few reviews and the Nikon seems to have the edge (in their opinion) but was wondering if anybody had experience of both or either? Or should I look at something else entirely. Ta.

Posted

Camera experts! Probably been asked a million times before, but, I'm currently looking at buying either the Canon EOS1100D or the Nikon D3100. Both come with an 18-55mm lens. The Nikon is obviously a bit more expensive but is it worth the extra you think? I see it also does 1080p 24fps video where as the Canon is only 720p. Is there a massive difference between the two? Cameras I mean, not HD resolution :rolleyes: Been reading a few reviews and the Nikon seems to have the edge (in their opinion) but was wondering if anybody had experience of both or either? Or should I look at something else entirely. Ta.

Age old argument. I am a 100% Nikon user, but more than willing to say Canon are great cameras. I always found the cheaper canons tended to have a little more functionality, but Nikon's had slightly better picture quality. I am a purist, buy a video for video, and an SLR for stills, but this is becoming a very old fashioned outlook. My advice for you is to head for a camera shop and play with both, then make your mind up. What ever you choose I don't believe you will be disappointed with either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Age old argument. I am a 100% Nikon user, but more than willing to say Canon are great cameras. I always found the cheaper canons tended to have a little more functionality, but Nikon's had slightly better picture quality. I am a purist, buy a video for video, and an SLR for stills, but this is becoming a very old fashioned outlook. My advice for you is to head for a camera shop and play with both, then make your mind up. What ever you choose I don't believe you will be disappointed with either.

Thanks, never had an SLR before so I guess I should be impressed by either!

Posted

WOO! ITS KIT LIST TIME AGAIN! :clapping:8):D

So here my preliminary list for Chase 2012 ( TOUR 5 ) .... (( BEST TOUR :p ))

Right So ....

Mac Book Pro. + Case + Charger

Nikon D7000 + As many cards i can find +batteries +charger + Filters + Shutter Release

18-105mm F 3.0 , 10-20 mm f3.5 .

Tripod ... dunno yet wether ill bring mine yet or just do the same as last year and buy one over there. ( got a great one for just $30 ! )

iphone 4 ( my video blog tool! :) ) + CHarger + Portable Charger

CLothes

Passport

Insurance

Money.

Travel First Aid Kit

Travel Adapter

BOOM! BRING IT ONNNNNN!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Finally getting organised.

Ordered some SDHC cards from Amazon, boy are they lightning quick.

Even running with a 12M pixel image and a + Large jpg, they are really fast.

Ideal for those lightning storms with frequent lightning.

Just in case your interested they were: Lexar 16GB 133X Professional

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather, Thunderstorms

Hi All,

For mobile phone in the US I've got a redpocket Sim (AT&T). Pretty good package, 2gb data and includes 200 mins of calls to uk landlines.It was about $50 for the month as a one off payment for their max plan. Sim is extra but you can use again. Just hope it works. It took around 2 weeks to arrive once ordered. I expect you can buy them locally in the US.

Cheers

Nick - Tour 2

Posted

Hints & tips on mobile phone usage, anybody?

Best & cheapest way to use a phone in the USA with text & calls to the UK is..........what??

Checking three their call rates are £1.40 per min, surely there's a cheaper way?

Posted

Surely the best way is to use the Netweather Skype Phone at about 0.02p per minute ??

Worked crystal clear last year with no delay and nearly free phone calls to Uk and Ireland etc

I know I made a few 20-30 minute phone calls that cost about 0.40p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hints & tips on mobile phone usage, anybody?

Best & cheapest way to use a phone in the USA with text & calls to the UK is..........what??

Checking three their call rates are £1.40 per min, surely there's a cheaper way?

Last year I skyped using the hotels WIFI and it cost nothing. Next year I will use FaceTime through Wifi. I guess it depends on what time you need to call.