Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2012 Kit / Equipment & Shopping List

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

This is great. My Mum is so worried about me doing this. She just does not understand!

It's not unusual. My Mum made me write a will the first time I went chasing.....

Posted

It's not unusual. My Mum made me write a will the first time I went chasing.....

I don't think i'll let the family see this post laugh.png

Do most of the hotels have free wifi?

Edited by boomerang

Posted

I don't think i'll let the family see this post laugh.png

Do most of the hotels have free wifi?

Yes they do, or at least most do

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Every single Hotel I stayed at last year (46) had Free Wifi so yes they do have Free Wifi.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Well yes to anyone that needs to use the Skype phone using it.

Yes to most motels having free wifi. It is almost the norm now.

As for phoning home , I buy a phone card. These you can buy at Wal Mart or the 8 till late shop nex to the hotel in Irvine.  Every year I buy a little mobile from Walmart and a phone card. The phone cards cost anywere from $10 upwards but $10 will last you the full 10 days and be used anywhere and I can use the throw away mobile to phone from.  The phone card has a scratch area and you dial the number on the card , type in the number under the scratched bit, it tells you how many hours call time you have left.

You can use the phone card from a gas station, airport and motel room.

I leave my will somewhere in my home office

My mother doesn't understand me either but then she never did, she is Chinese!

Posted

<p>Well yes to anyone that needs to use the Skype phone using it.

Yes to most motels having free wifi. It is almost the norm now.

As for phoning home , I buy a phone card. These you can buy at Wal Mart or the 8 till late shop nex to the hotel in Irving.  Every year I buy a little mobile from Walmart and a phone card. The phone cards cost anywere from $10 upwards but $10 will last you the full 10 days and be used anywhere and I can use the throw away mobile to phone from.  The phone card has a scratch area and you dial the number on the card , type in the number under the scratched bit, it tells you how many hours call time you have left.

You can use the phone card from a gas station, airport and motel room.

I leave my will somewhere in my home office

My mother doesn't understand me either but then she never did, she is Chinese!

Posted

Started the pre-tour countdown yesterday, checked the latest SDHC cards format and work in the camera. Now to find the battery charger for the camera.

Next, batteries to be replaced in preparation, although last years didn't really get and airing so they may well cope again.

Posted

Are there live Streaming this year cant find the link any were on the site

I would say without doubt there will be live streamimg.

Tom ...

Posted

A question for time served chasers.

When it comes to packing, I assume all camera equipment etc and valuables get carried with you in the aircraft cabin?

What about camera tripods?

what type of luggage is best to take?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

When it comes to packing, I assume all camera equipment etc and valuables get carried with you in the aircraft cabin?

Sorry for lurking in this year's thread, I went last year ;)

I had most of my camera equipment and valuables with me in the cabin, that is, stuff that couldn't easily be replaced or is fragile. ie. tripod and some other accessories went in the suitcase for the hold - if it got lost, I could replace tripod etc at a shop. But things like dedicated chargers/cables and the camera/camcorder and its batteries were with me all the time, as it would have been v. awkward to find dedicated batteries and chargers for the cameras quickly.

However you might feel like splitting some kit between bags to minimise further risk, if you want. Once on the tour of course you can split stuff between bags because mostly you have both bags with you all the time.

But think that if you had to cope because the airline lost your case, could you still be up and running with sufficient kit on the tour immediately (albeit after doing a spot of shopping at Walmart for more underwear and shirts and whatever else!)

Maybe I plan ahead too much and am too practical! I didn't get checked at customs, tripod was in bag with some other things and I don't think suitcase was opened or checked at all.

Preferred case is a large soft holdall, l got a soft sided case from EastPak (I overpack though :) about 65 litres and a bit more for expansion.

Of course others may advise differently :)

Posted

Sorry for lurking in this year's thread, I went last year tease.gif

Oh dear, sorry about that smiley there, didn't mean to pull that face!

Posted

Sorry for lurking in this year's thread, I went last year tease.gif

I had most of my camera equipment and valuables with me in the cabin, that is, stuff that couldn't easily be replaced or is fragile. ie. tripod and some other accessories went in the suitcase for the hold - if it got lost, I could replace tripod etc at a shop. But things like dedicated chargers/cables and the camera/camcorder and its batteries were with me all the time, as it would have been v. awkward to find dedicated batteries and chargers for the cameras quickly.

However you might feel like splitting some kit between bags to minimise further risk, if you want. Once on the tour of course you can split stuff between bags because mostly you have both bags with you all the time.

But think that if you had to cope because the airline lost your case, could you still be up and running with sufficient kit on the tour immediately (albeit after doing a spot of shopping at Walmart for more underwear and shirts and whatever else!)

Maybe I plan ahead too much and am too practical! I didn't get checked at customs, tripod was in bag with some other things and I don't think suitcase was opened or checked at all.

Preferred case is a large soft holdall, l got a soft sided case from EastPak (I overpack though smile.png about 65 litres and a bit more for expansion.

Of course others may advise differently smile.png

I think you have covered it all there. My tri pod goes in the hold all main items i.e. cameras etc hand luggage. I do my self a check list (tick sheet)

Phone chargers, electrical adaptors etc If you do suffer fromn hay fever, do not forget to take something with you. Every year one member of our party needs something to help cure sniffing and sneezing because they are well into spring over there.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Camera valuables I carry with on the plane, along with laptop.

Camera tripod I pack, but if it's taking up a lot of space, you can quickly drop into Walmart and pick up a new one for about $30. I did that on one tour and left behind the one I took as the replacement was a lot better.

If push comes to shove and your have too much luggage coming home you can leave it behind.

As to the luggage I take a soft wheeled holdall.

Posted

Camera valuables I carry with on the plane, along with laptop.

Camera tripod I pack, but if it's taking up a lot of space, you can quickly drop into Walmart and pick up a new one for about $30. I did that on one tour and left behind the one I took as the replacement was a lot better.

If push comes to shove and your have too much luggage coming home you can leave it behind.

As to the luggage I take a soft wheeled holdall.

Yes, wheels do help! Considering you are moving luggage about everyday, up and downstairs/to motel rooms, each day on the tour.

Posted

Good advice there lads. Only bit I'd add is dont pack too much clothes. You'll only need shorts and a T shirt pretty much every day. 1 set of smart casual going out stuff might be a good idea but you probably wont get to use them over there.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Always check your kit. Tripod, check. Test the mechanism, pieces of tripod. Bugger! Credit card needed. doh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Reaching countdown T-10 days and counting:

Camera batteries - recharged - check

Remote timers - checked

Wireless triggers - checked

Camera batteries - recharged check

ESTA - Applied for and approved - Check

Passports - check

Lightning trigger - not checked - off I go