Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wednesday 4th April 2012 Weather & General Chat

Posted

Same here TM.

Unbelievable conditions out there. I hope the farmers have prepaired and got there lambs in.

yes its probably full on lambing just now so one hopes they listened/watched the tv forecasts about higher ground snow

My cup overfloweth John, although I can't help feeling for any birds which had nestlings after the long spell of mild, quiet weather.

Conditions unchanged here with continuous moderate snow and serious drifting. Temp', -0.3c.

delighted for you young man-shame you don't have a web cam-how about one?

I'll be in Sheffield this afternoon but will give driving up to the top of Ringinglow a miss I think!

Posted

Overcast with moderate rain at the moment. Almost constant moderate to heavy rain overnight. The min temp was 2.9C just before 7am.

Temp: 4.3C

Humidity: 90%

Sustained Wind: 15mph NE

Max Gust: 38mph

30.2mm of rain has fallen so far (more than Feb and Mar combined), since midnight, making it the wettest day since 6th September 2008 already.

Posted

In fact the weather you and PM are reporting and the weather here, more or less at sea level inland, is a very good illustration for newbies on just how altitude can change the weather.

Here its 3.5C with slight rain and the radar showing the heaviest prpn is now south of here and indicating that snow is falling over much of the Peak.

Your temperature at about the same time being -0.3C in snow.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Still full on blizzard here John, 5/6 inches of snow with 1ft+ Drifts.

Temp -0.6c

Wind Chill -7.9c

Dew Point -2.4c

Wind E/N/E 24mph gusting 49mph

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

yes its probably full on lambing just now so one hopes they listened/watched the tv forecasts about higher ground snow

Prepared here,but this is a shock to the system no doubt after that very warm spell in March.

2c here with heavy snow earlier and strong to gale force N/NE wind and strong drifting/blizzard,wind eased a touch to earlier,snow moderate and drifting.

8 inches so far most april snow since 2000.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Still snowing heavily and blowing a blizzard in exposed areas. Average depth of snow is now over 30cm, will wait until it stops to do some proper measurements, or the 1800 reading, whichever comes sooner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Cloud and patchy light rain has been edging southwards all morning, and the NE breeze is picking up, 7C...Snow is possible, I guess (recalling 181 and all that?). But not just yet...

Posted

Still snowing mod/heavy here.

1ft+drifts

around 6inch snow

Temp -0.6c

Wind Chill -0.8c

Dew Point -2.3c

Wind E has now dropped to 8mph but still blustery at times.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sleet and wet snow 2.4c

wind f4 NE

rainfall since midnight according to Davis 21.8 mm but this will be on the low side.

Had a trip out drifting snow at Holmesfield made me decide it wasn't a good idea considering it was still snowing madly. However in the hour the snow line has risen a lot so when I left it was snowing at Graves Park Meadowhead I think that's around 770ft and hour later it was sleet and wet snow. So it could well a be a different story now at holmsfield.

Posted

The rain has finally stopped and the sun is coming out.Still rather windy though with a current temp of 4c.

Raining again now lol

Edited by sunny scunny

Posted

Still snowing heavily and blowing a blizzard in exposed areas. Average depth of snow is now over 30cm, will wait until it stops to do some proper measurements, or the 1800 reading, whichever comes sooner.

There's quite a bit less than 30cm here, near Hartington. I'm not sure if it's to do with my altitude being slightly lower at 280m, or being assumedly further west than you, since most places in Derbyshire's Peak District are west of here. I imagine a combination of the two.

Anyway, the snow's eased off recently and is actually looking sleety in lighter bursts. The depth is highly variable but I reckon a mean of 12cm wouldn't be far out.

Posted

The snow is light now and the temp' has risen to 0.1c according to the Davis on the roof. Just been out to measure as it's probably reached its maximum depth, the mean of 12 measurements where it's undfrifted is 30.4 cm. That's the heaviest fall since Nov 30th 2010 and the heaviest in April since 1981.

The snow is also thawing from beneath due to the relatively warm ground so I would expect a steady decline in the depth unless it freezes tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

The snow is light now and the temp' has risen to 0.1c according to the Davis on the roof. Just been out to measure as it's probably reached its maximum depth, the mean of 12 measurements where it's undfrifted is 30.4 cm. That's the heaviest fall since Nov 30th 2010 and the heaviest in April since 1981.

The snow is also thawing from beneath due to the relatively warm ground so I would expect a steady decline in the depth unless it freezes tonight.

April 1981 - I was going to ask you how this event measured up as I thought it might be fairly exceptional for the time of year, thanks for the info.

Posted

April 1981 - I was going to ask you how this event measured up as I thought it might be fairly exceptional for the time of year, thanks for the info.

It's a very similar event to the one in late April 1981, the main difference being that the 1981 snowstorm one went on for almost 3 days and resulted in a mean depth of 59cm with enormous drifts. In other respects, the temperature fluctuating between a little below and a little above 0c, the mean wind speed around 40 mph and the intensity of the snow, very similar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

It's a very similar event to the one in late April 1981, the main difference being that the 1981 snowstorm one went on for almost 3 days and resulted in a mean depth of 59cm with enormous drifts. In other respects, the temperature fluctuating between a little below and a little above 0c, the mean wind speed around 40 mph and the intensity of the snow, very similar.

That's the one I remember gave us a foot of snow started Friday and finished Sunday evening. Saturday morning it turned to rain with a rapid thaw then turned back to snow which put it all back again. Snow line was well below 500 ft as Snow was lying in parts of Heeley Monday morning still.

Nothing like it since and this didn't manage it here.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Showers since the word go today, these being of rain, sleet and hail. Strong, cold NE'ly wind bringing the showers in off the north sea.

At the moment, overcast with a recent light shower

Temperature : 4.9C

Humidity : 90%

Dewpoint : 3.3C

Pressure : 1020.8mb, steady

Posted

On and off showers all day today round Doncaster, with the odd flurry of snow.

Posted

9inches of snow(same as april 2000)with strong drifting most of the day,until later this afternoon when the snow got abit wetter,still drifting higher up,thawing from underneath and wet from the trees.

Still the coldest april max the same as april 4th 2000 going by the old reading at -1(which can`t be accurate, otherwise coldest april day I`ve recorded equalled result!!!!.

2.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Mostly clear, 3.9C

Posted

It's days like today that make you glad to be alive!

Continuous moderate-heavy snow started just before midnight and continued throughout the morning and early afternoon, becoming lighter after 1400 g.m.t. The temperature got above 0c by 1300 g.m.t and a thaw set in, the snow already thawing steadily from beneath due to relatively high ground temperatures and compacting quickly once the thaw began, reducing the mean depth from just over 30cm at 1300 g.m.t to 22cm by 1800.

A few light snow showers since the main area of snow moved away.

Considerable drifting in a NE gale throughout the morning, the drifting stopped once the temp' got above 0c.

At 1800 g.m.t;

Temp', 1.1c

Max' today, 1.1c

Min' last night, -0.5c

Grass min', -0.1c ( thermometer buried )

Rainfall in 24 hrs ending 0800 g.m.t, 29.0 mm ( 26.4 mm of it from midnight to 0900 b.s.t and all melted snow )

Rainfall from 0800-1800 g.m.t, 10.6 mm ( melted snow )

Sunshine today, nil

Mean wind speed at 1800 g.m.t, 23 mph NE

Highest gust today, 61 mph NE at 0928 g.m.t

7 oktas Ac, As, Cu and St fractus

Mean depth of lying snow 22cm, snow very soft and wet and thawing steadily.