Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 Onwards

Posted

There's a few electrified cells in the Channel, not much good to those of us on land though. Despite a promising Met Office forecast (I posted in the old thread) It's looking decidedly un-thundery here really, lots of low stratocumulus has come in and it's pretty hazy too. Sunshine is very limited with high cloud blocking much of this in any gaps. Temp has actually dropped slightly from earlier.

Lets see what this afternoon brings..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

We have thunder and lightning here at the moment. We are doing really well so far this year!

Posted

We have thunder and lightning here at the moment. We are doing really well so far this year!

Just poped up on the net weather extra radar with lightning overlay on, really does show it off in these situations. Maybe just maybe it will eventually reach me in a few hours time!

Posted

Well how odd - three times this week, rumbling thunder here in Broadstone. Always in the distance but better the the big zero last year! Still rumbling away in the far distance, not lightning seen and it's blinking cold!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Exeter - EXETER

EGTE 140801Z 1409/1418 07008KT 9999 FEW030 TEMPO 1409/1418 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1409/1417 4000 +SHRA TSGS BKN012CB

30% chance of Thunderstorm Hail with Heavy Shower of Rain from now till 1700z

SOUTHAMPTON/EASTLEIGH EGHI 140801Z 1409/1418 06008KT 9999 FEW040 TEMPO 1409/1418 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1409/1416 4000 +SHRA TSGS BKN012CB

Same but between now and 1600z.

Good day for the south west I hope, nothing seen on the GFS as people have mentioned but the idea of a Spanish Plume towards the end of the month has been highlighted every now and again.

airpressure.png

ukcapeli.png

h850t850eu.png

h500slp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Thunder heard four days in a row for some, i havent heard thunder since december, and it was june last year before i got my first thunder day, can anyone go for five days in a row?... that would be very unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Mammatus from a few days ago. Picture doesn't do it justice, didn't have my camera, just my iPhone, was gutted that I couldn't get home in time to find my camera.

Other than this thing which didn't even give any rain, we've been completely dry and sunny for days!

post-8895-0-08119300-1334401324_thumb.jp

Posted

Low cloud more broken up and 'heaped' now, and can make out some larger cumulus/towering cumulus to the E/ESE through the haze. Looks far more like a hazy thundery summer day now, but with far lower temps than you would expect of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Some crisp convection here which I didn't expect. I doubt anything other than a sharp shower will come from it though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Exeter - EXETER

EGTE 140801Z 1409/1418 07008KT 9999 FEW030 TEMPO 1409/1418 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1409/1417 4000 +SHRA TSGS BKN012CB

30% chance of Thunderstorm Hail with Heavy Shower of Rain from now till 1700z

SOUTHAMPTON/EASTLEIGH EGHI 140801Z 1409/1418 06008KT 9999 FEW040 TEMPO 1409/1418 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1409/1416 4000 +SHRA TSGS BKN012CB

Same but between now and 1600z.

Good day for the south west I hope, nothing seen on the GFS as people have mentioned but the idea of a Spanish Plume towards the end of the month has been highlighted every now and again.

airpressure.png

ukcapeli.png

h850t850eu.png

h500slp.png

You honestly think a Plume could be pulled off? Please, please, please, please!! :pwub.png

Posted

It was hailing earlier, which quickly turned to snow!

Under the shower temperatures was 1-2.c

Currently 6.c

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

You honestly think a Plume could be pulled off? Please, please, please, please!! blum.gifwub.png

Like so many things its very easy to get very absorbed in some of the terms used on the threads here.

Plume is something that is pretty complex and to be honest its a shade early for the genuine Spanish plume to be around. Indeed its not strictly correct as it really needs the air to be sourced from North Africa and that is not what that chart you refer is showing as the flow is west of south off Iberia?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I was speaking this morning with someone who lives in the area where Thursday evening's hail storm was at its maximum intensity, about 1km from here. He reliably informs me that the hail lasted for around half an hour and by the time it stopped was 8-10cm deep. The size of the stones was generally 8-10mm, with some up to 13mm in diameter.

It was after midday on Friday before the fields in the area affected turned from white to green.

Posted

I was speaking this morning with someone who lives in the area where Thursday evening's hail storm was at its maximum intensity, about 1km from here. He reliably informs me that the hail lasted for around half an hour and by the time it stopped was 8-10cm deep. The size of the stones was generally 8-10mm, with some up to 13mm in diameter.

It was after midday on Friday before the fields in the area affected turned from white to green.

blimey 8-10cm is some depth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Hail

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

my that is a long and informative post!

Almost as informative as yours ;)

Posted

Been quite a few cells near the channel coastline over Devon and Cornwall this afternoon, with slight convergent sfc winds towards that region on recent obs. Be interesting to see if there are any reports of funnels or spouts around that region or just offshore, as convective cloud bases are, or should be, a little lower today than has been the case over the past few days.

Trough shown on fax (06UTC) shows the focus of the showers/storms:

post-9715-0-70671200-1334414556_thumb.gi

Water Spout over Bray Co Wicklow This morning near Dublin City . drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Thinking of taking a road trip to try and catch some storm activity. Living in Bristol so thinking of south coast as there are a few sferics around there at the moment. Any advice on best place to go? I'm not very experienced so any help would be appreciated.