Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 Onwards

Posted

A friend just said, Thunder and heavy rain north of Heathrow....

Im approx 14 miles north of Heathrow, skies went dark to my s/sse, a very brief shower ( 2 minutes ) but no thunder heard here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Bone dry here, and one shower last week after the threat of showers 'everyday' last week. It'l probably be bone dry again here all week.

Posted

Have had a few brief hail/rain showers this pm but now eagling my eyes on a cell approx 25 miles to the WSW which has been recording

a rate of over 200mm per hour in the last 15 mins!

As is always the nature with heavy showers the downdraught stage will soon be replaced by an updraught stage with less intense precipitation

and it is moving rapidly on the strong flow.

At 16.20 the rate was 30mm per hour and at 16.35 the rate was over 200mm per hour!

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

LOL I was just coming on to say the prospects of thunder today were looking bleak...then bolts detected W London....funny, and its unlike me to be unduly pessimistic.

Posted

Surprised I haven't heard any thunder here yet, some of these cells are very mean looking.

post-131-0-62619600-1334678882_thumb.jpg

^ This is that blob on the radar to the south of me here:

post-131-0-61442200-1334678907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

Posted

The cell decayed somewhat as it approached BA12 with max rate of around 25mm and just a little hail as the gust front passed

over, would love to have been under it at that 200mm per hour rate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Rumble of thunder and some rather large hail here, nice cell popped up on radar just to my south

post-4149-0-57490400-1334679285.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Convection is kicking off here now :)...Aj I hate you just a little bit you know :p

Posted

Some thunderstorms look to be getting going over the North Midlands now, which will be the same area that is affecting AJ. I have to say, tomorrow is looking good for areas in the South Midlands - so much so I am thinking of taking a day trip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

One blustery shower here a couple of hours ago, but that aside its actually been a very sunny day!

I have a little more hope for tomorrow here, being under the Met Office warning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looking good here now with 2 anvils to the W/SW...

post-3392-0-28740800-1334680678_thumb.jp

And a storm passing by to the south...

post-3392-0-14897900-1334680690_thumb.jp

The big anvil looks to be heading right this way :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Will give it until sunset if nothing happens then I give up and wait to see what tomorrow brings.

To be honest, I find the chances of thunderstorms for our area are pretty poor when winds are blowing in from a south-westerly direction during theseshowery sort of set-ups. To me it always seems any showers lose intensity as they come in along the Severn estuary towards Bristol. Then they re-intensify after they pass. It's what happened a lot last year. There's still plenty moving in from SW today but personally, I'm not expecting anything thundery here. Tomorrow looks a bit better though as the centre low swings over/just to the north of us?

Still willing to be surprised though....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yet again another near miss here. Thunderstorm recently to my North as per AJ's reports. :/

I dont know what to think about tomorrow. Some very heavy rain around the low and the charts predict some CAPE etc but what do others think of this? Embedded Thunderstorms seem very rare or is this showers immediately behind the rain etc?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I've seen one cb this afternoon haha, other than that it's been a perfect day to hang the washing out - no rain since last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yeah.. nothing here today, as I thought would be the case yesterday.

Posted

Yet again another near miss here. Thunderstorm recently to my North as per AJ's reports. :/

I dont know what to think about tomorrow. Some very heavy rain around the low and the charts predict some CAPE etc but what do others think of this? Embedded Thunderstorms seem very rare or is this showers immediately behind the rain etc?

I'm not expert but I think it is the showers to the south of the band of rain.

Some bolts being detected across Lincolnshire and NE Yorkshire too now. I wonder if I should go out and chase now. Problem is I have no faith in evening storms at this time of year and in this set up.

Posted

Light hail shower here again as a CB just grazed the area, these showers here are definitely being caused by the terrain assisting convection.

Some bolts being detected across Lincolnshire and NE Yorkshire too now. I wonder if I should go out and chase now. Problem is I have no faith in evening storms at this time of year and in this set up.

Don't bother, pulse storm activity is always a letdown when I've been looking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Best of the showers/storms developing down the spine/east of the country......something that has been happening for a while now. This is depsite the best of the showers being forecast for more western areas. There really has been an east bias for a while now on the storm front and is the reason why I've remained thunderless for so long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Here's the cell that just passed north of Birmingham and is heading this way...

post-3392-0-21505100-1334682281_thumb.jp

I've been watching it for a while now, but it's lost some intensity on radar and also has had no recent sferics.

It still looks very menacing though, so I'm not losing hope yet.

Posted

Don't bother, pulse storm activity is always a letdown when I've been looking.

Yes you are right, they already seem to be dying. They may intensify again but it is impossible to know where and when. Evening in tonight I think.

The rest of the week is full of opportunities though.