Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office Updated Website

Posted

I notice the Met Office are in the process of changing their web pages; and right now among the new pages I cannot find anywhere a UK forecast beyond 5 days. Does the met Office intend no longer publishing forecasts and outlooks for 6 to 30 days? Or perhaps someone can advise where to find them in the new pages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

The new website is awful and I have complained. Among the things missing is the observations page, to get a recent observation somewhere you now have to type in each place name individually rather than see a collective version. It just reminds me of the Poor BBC version and this has been recently updated with incorrect information ie the record temps in London graph is completely wrong!

Posted

Is that right about the Obs pages? Goodness! I use that every day at least twice to compare my readings with those of the nearest stations

which as it is at present can be done at a glance.

Posted

I couldn't find the rainfall radar for ages and even when I had it was so awful I went on to 'will it rain today's radar.

Just another ego trip IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I notice the Met Office are in the process of changing their web pages; and right now among the new pages I cannot find anywhere a UK forecast beyond 5 days. Does the met Office intend no longer publishing forecasts and outlooks for 6 to 30 days? Or perhaps someone can advise where to find them in the new pages.

I think the 6 to 30 day outlooks are still there, you have to change the default weather location to your location, it will then load the 2 day summary for your location, at the bottom of the summary there's a link to the extended outlook....Very convoluted indeed, and I totally agree with you, the new web site is a disorganized mess to put it mildly!

Posted

Ah! Found it. At the bottom of the chosen UK location forecast it says "Regional Forecast". That is where the further outlook to 30 days is found. Very messy.

Posted

I have to say that I liked the new site more when it was in Beta, but now it doesn't seem so good and some of the features I liked haven't been working properly at times recently. I hadn't noticed the lack of observations page which is another point.

The new website is awful and I have complained. Among the things missing is the observations page, to get a recent observation somewhere you now have to type in each place name individually rather than see a collective version. It just reminds me of the Poor BBC version and this has been recently updated with incorrect information ie the record temps in London graph is completely wrong!

Got to agree about the BBC 'Average conditions' graphs, they show the record max for London in August to be 33C.. I guess they forgot about the existence of August 2003 (38C) and other months. Other cities are wrong too. They've also removed some UK (e.g Birmingham!) and world wide cities, you get various capitals without climate data that used to have it, e.g. Tokyo. I usually find it more reliable to type a city in Wikipedia and go to the 'climate' section.

Posted

I have to agree with those who do not like the new web site-very messy as its been described and not easy to get what you want. It is there but not easy and certainly neither quick nor convenient.

Can I ask in all seriousness that those of us who do not like it write to them, they ask us to do that with our feedback. That is the only way to perhaps get some change. Explain why you think its not as good as the old site, keep at them, there are many thousands who use Net Wx-if we all wrote they would have to do something. The outcome is in our own hands. Please don't say its a waste of time and continue complaining in here.

I'm off to send an e mail myself.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I like it very easy to navigate. The only thing that doesn't work is searching via post codes. Observation page is there as well http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/ scroll down and you'll see the link at the bottom of the page.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I operate on a very low signal at times due to being internet dongled and maybe being out in the country on a canal.

The new rainfall radar really is too much for me to wait for, it takes an age and then jumps from hour to 3 hours.

My HTC also doesn't like it.

Posted

I would like to repeat what John Holmes said, send them feedback and who knows they "might" listen and change but nothing will change from posting on here (with the exception of letting off a bit of steam, which is not a bad thing)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Yeah I've got to agree. I find it hard to navigate round, everything all over the place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

You can even customise the site as well just scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the links and if you keep cookies you can alter it too your preferance. Only downside on the UK map on observations it would be nice to be able to click on the area and bring up the data. Haven't tried it on the phone but I got an app for it anyway.

Posted

I like it very easy to navigate. The only thing that doesn't work is searching via post codes. Observation page is there as well http://www.metoffice...r/observations/ scroll down and you'll see the link at the bottom of the page.

not quite true Pit

If you have chosen a location close to your address then when you click on UK observations it defaults to that site not the UK list. The only way to stop it, so far for me, is to not have a default local site forecast.

So far they have not replied to my comment about this.

Posted

i think the phrase if it aint broke, dont try to fix applies here. it didnt need an upgrade; and its creating hassle by trying to be more modern. leave it as it is, so much easier and the general consensus is the same.

Edited by azores92

Posted

I have to agree with those who do not like the new web site-very messy as its been described and not easy to get what you want. It is there but not easy and certainly neither quick nor convenient.

Can I ask in all seriousness that those of us who do not like it write to them, they ask us to do that with our feedback. That is the only way to perhaps get some change. Explain why you think its not as good as the old site, keep at them, there are many thousands who use Net Wx-if we all wrote they would have to do something. The outcome is in our own hands. Please don't say its a waste of time and continue complaining in here.

I'm off to send an e mail myself.

Sorry John, but I've reached an age and a state of mind where I cannot be bothered with hassle. Hey, I've even stopped arguing with Jethro on this forum's serious debate section. I think I'll just get my information somewhere else. Maybe the met office will notice their hit count falling and ask why.

Posted

I have to disagree Alan-it takes less than 1 minute to send your view-it just MIGHT IF we all do the same have some effect. Doing nothing gets us nowhere, one might say the same about so many times when in general life the majority (if it is a majority dislike the nw site) have done nothing and had to suffer the consequences.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

it's a joke the new met ofice website some1 like my self with limited eyesight it's hard to navigate i kept some of the old links, also i use the mobile site and u can't get the 30day forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i already sent them an email stil waighting for a reply. Also made my comments on their feedback section.

Posted

I did the same but the only response so far is they are very busy!

No two ways about it, as it stands the new site is awful. I welcome an attempt to embrace improved web capabilities but the implementation is poorly coded and slow and unattractive compared to many other national agencies and commercial sites.

In any case, these changes should not be at the expense of providing data more clearly and simply.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

the reply to my e mail just received-make of it what you like!!

Good afternoon John,

Welcome back to the Met Office.

The reason you received the acknowledgement email in reply to your earlier message is because we have received a massive number of emails from the general public in connection with our current web refresh. Due to the recent/latest weather conditions we've also been receiving a tremendous number of calls from the public so please accept our apology that we are only able to respond to you now. Resources have been stretched.

Moving on, you are correct about it being early days in the current lifecycle of our web refresh. At present we are collating all the feedback from the public and forwarding it to the appropriate management teams across the Met Office. You will likely know that everything which appears on our web site, our Public Weather Service, is driven by the requirements of the Public Weather Service Customer Group. Any changes to the way we are outputting this service are based on their requirements. More about the PWSCG can be found here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/what/pws/pwscg/TOR

As we collate feedback, themes are emerging whereby certain issues are coming to the fore more often than others. With this in mind, we are aware some folk are finding the navigation around the web refresh a bit daunting, some things they have been used to seeing have been withdrawn (PWSCG requirement) or some things look different or as in the case of radar output, the time steps are reduced retrospectively (observed) and going forward (forecasted). With this in mind, your feedback will contribute to that which is already being forwarded to management. This provides managers with an opportunity to know what the public are telling us and from that, going forward with planned roll-outs, make decisions about refining web output.

The table of "UK - Latest Observations" on our old site has been withdrawn, and observations are now divided up into regional tables based on the site specific forecast of choice. We also provide a map showing regional extremes. Based on customer feedback during the past 2 years and surveys conducted externally and via our Open Days here, the public have indicated that they want more regional/local information. This is why the emphasis is now based on weather more "local to you" which has led to increasing the number of site specific forecasts from around 450 to 5000.

I hope this background is helpful and thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

Kind Regards

Sarah Spedding Customer Feedback Co-ordinator

Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter EX1 3PB United Kingdom

While there are some foibles with the new site I don't agree with, I find the new site far better than the old one, providing much more information and with it being zoomable,

Certainty a thumbs up from me and If they can sort out the few foibles it would be a big thumbs up.