Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Brand spanking new thread for you lovely lot. :)

Well done to all of you in the thick of it today and good luck to those who are currently missing out on the storms (myself included) sad.png

Enjoy and play nice folks good.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted

huge anvil over the top of me now with some stunning convective activity below it. Such photogenic stuff here folks

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

One flash band thunderstorm bout 10mins ago with a lot of hail! :D

Posted

Still nothing here with all the action just to my east towards Penrith. Just a breezy afternoon with sunny spells..... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Still nothing here with all the action just to my east towards Penrith. Just a breezy afternoon with sunny spells..... sad.png

Nada here too unfortunately.. everytime something promising pops up to the north west it just disappears.. and now the radar does not look very promising, so another day gone by with nothing.. nearly 2 weeks of convection potential.. and nada, couldn't make it up, could you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, just got back from my escapade through Warwickshire & Worcester, and utter crud it was!......occasional heavy rain, cells dying a death, and well, that's just about it....I sincerely hope the weather gods are going to refund me the £30 in diesel costs...all the energy in the western half of England has died and yet again it's sarf-east that prospers, and a huge hole appeared over the midlands where there should be thunder, lightning and general armaggeddon!....not a happy bunny! mad.gif

Posted

Such is the nature of showers and storms that some areas unfortunately will miss out completely. It does get frustrating at times but we have many more months ahead of us to look forward to which can produce the goods. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Well, just got back from my escapade through Warwickshire & Worcester, and utter crud it was!......occasional heavy rain, cells dying a death, and well, that's just about it....I sincerely hope the weather gods are going to refund me the £30 in diesel costs...all the energy in the western half of England has died and yet again it's sarf-east that prospers, and a huge hole appeared over the midlands where there should be thunder, lightning and general armaggeddon!....not a happy bunny! mad.gif

Had a brief very heavy hailstorm about an hour ago. I was driving home from work and the pea sized hail was really clattering the windscreen. Quite exciting.

Posted

Looking at the latest radar it does indeed look like we will stay dry all day now, Absolutely incredible local scale weather.

There is a humdinger off the North Kent Coast, London is getting hammered again and looks like a complete mess from Chelmsford Northwards but with Sferics.

Off to a Stormchase BBQ Tomorrow in Norfolk (So sorry in advance Norfolk for tomorrow)

But Leigh On Sea might be a good place to see some storms tomorrow rofl.gif

Adios!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Lovely cell between Epping and Harlow on the radar. I would say that that looks the best of the day so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Monster of a storm over harlow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Liam J, April 20, 2012 - Off topic and may cause reaction amongst others
Hidden by Liam J, April 20, 2012 - Off topic and may cause reaction amongst others

This winds me up...

THE SOUTH EAST GETS IT ALL

Hold on a min, London isn't the entire south east not all of the south east has had storms, granted I had a flash and a hailstorm but go a little further south and nothing at all. Just because london keeps getting storms does not mean I am or millions of other people are

Edited by Victor Meldrew
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Looking at the latest radar it does indeed look like we will stay dry all day now, Absolutely incredible local scale weather.

There is a humdinger off the North Kent Coast, London is getting hammered again and looks like a complete mess from Chelmsford Northwards but with Sferics.

Off to a Stormchase BBQ Tomorrow in Norfolk (So sorry in advance Norfolk for tomorrow)

But Leigh On Sea might be a good place to see some storms tomorrow rofl.gif

Adios!

Interesting that the south coast of the SE also does poorly in these set ups, Paul . As soon as there is any southerly wind vector in the flow then that is it- game over unless we see some troughing.. Today we have a westerly towards Southampton but this changes to a west south westerly for the SE corner. So the storms track along the south coast and veer towards London when they reach West Sussex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
Posted · Hidden by Liam J, April 20, 2012 - Quoted post hidden
Hidden by Liam J, April 20, 2012 - Quoted post hidden

This winds me up...

Yes and not just London has had storms you know, quite a lot of people in the south east has had storms too?

Posted

Yes Ed

Not moaning at all, would just like something "on home ground for once"

In 2 weeks time I will be in the thick of the action again so not too bothered, it's just nice to see such storm intensities early in Spring, it bodes well for summer if we can get some heat and juice with a Trough and 80/57f Dewpoints etc, you just never know what might happen this Summer.

Could be like the good old days like 1992 - 2000 for instance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Such is the nature of showers and storms that some areas unfortunately will miss out completely. It does get frustrating at times but we have many more months ahead of us to look forward to which can produce the goods. smile.png

That's all well & good Liam, but I'm sat here scratching my head as to why nothing is firing in Mid-Wales, energy, lift, cold pool aloft thus steep lapse rates & plenty of diurnal heating is present in that area, the only thing missing is some surface convergence, but whilst that aids convection, it's not essential.....Towers are trying to go up but they're messy and quickly collapsing but there seems to be little or no cap in place...there might be a pocket of some mid-level warmer air perhaps....I haven't got access to the full NMM model to look at the atmos profiles....

...Neil aka victor meldrew...give it a rest mate, it's the same old speel from you every summer....in this current convective period of weather, the south eastern quadrant has had the bulk of the convective action, it's simply a case of atmospheric parameters being in place for the SE area

Posted

What I'm finding annoying is my chances are better for the next day then when that day comes the NEXT day I have a better chance but nothing ever happened,Nothing here today apart from this mornings hail shower,dry and sunny spells mostly.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Brief heavy shower just raced through dropping pea sized hail stones, no lightning or thunder & the suns back out.

Posted

Well I've had lots of lovely sunshine today so not complaining, even though a nice storm would have been good. TBH it wasn't on the cards for my area so no complaints (not that anyone can do anything about it!!!! laugh.png ) + the next couple of days still looking possible for more!

MU_London_avn.png

30_20.gif

Saturday afternoon is a corker!!!

36_20.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Same old faces get the goods ^^

Nothing here, not even a shower, sunshine and a few Cu's about and thats it! Still its better than dark grey as it was all day yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

What I'm finding annoying is my chances are better for the next day then when that day comes the NEXT day I have a better chance but nothing ever happened,Nothing here today apart from this mornings hail shower,dry and sunny spells mostly.

Yeah, there's only so many times that one person can say 'it looks better/good for tomorrow, there's still hope' before I start to take no notice as I end up disappointed anyway.. :p

Just for the record I'm not annoyed because most of the storms are in the SE, I'm just annoyed we've had so long to see something but haven't at all, not once.

Posted

That's all well & good Liam, but I'm sat here scratching my head as to why nothing is firing in Mid-Wales, energy, lift, cold pool aloft thus steep lapse rates & plenty of diurnal heating is present in that area, the only thing missing is some surface convergence, but whilst that aids convection, it's not essential.....Towers are trying to go up but they're messy and quickly collapsing but there seems to be little or no cap in place...there might be a pocket of some mid-level warmer air perhaps....I haven't got access to the full NMM model to look at the atmos profiles....

I've been watching clouds tower up all day over the fells only for them to drift eastwards pretty quickly, the suns been out for the best part of 2 hours now so surface heating is ample for some beefy convection. Things are looking promising ATM deffo the best it's been all day with towering CN to my west - Heres hoping....