Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First House Martin

jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The first of the House Martin's arrived back today. Hooray! Summer's on the way.

Anyone else seen any Martins or Swallows yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The first of the House Martin's arrived back today. Hooray! Summer's on the way.

Which house martin was that then? Paul Heaton?

Not yet but I expect to see loads when we go back to France in just over a fortnight - the fact that they are so prevelant is the reason we called our house there, "l'Hirondelle".

As a matter of interest Jethro, can you say whether they are any later or earlier this year than normal?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Mike and others, my first hirundine of the year was a Swallow on the 11th April, my average being 7th April. As for House Martin, my first locally was on the 18th April with my average date being 18th April.

When it comes to Phenology, I like to keep many different records and you can access them should you wish via my link naturestimeline shown in my footer.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Anyone else seen any Martins or Swallows yet?

Not personally (no suitable nesting spaces here any more so they don't bother, sadly), but have heard from friends of swallows in Cornwall 3 weeks ago and house martins near Southampton and Newbury last Thrsday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Not yet but I expect to see loads when we go back to France in just over a fortnight - the fact that they are so prevelant is the reason we called our house there, "l'Hirondelle".

As a matter of interest Jethro, can you say whether they are any later or earlier this year than normal?

Not a clue I'm afraid. I only noticed it because I was sheltering from the rain and it was singing it's little heart out on the 'phone line overhead - it certainly sounded a great deal happier with the weather than I felt.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Saw several swallows in Durham City yesterday, but as yet, nothing here in South Shields right on the NE coast.

Not a clue I'm afraid. I only noticed it because I was sheltering from the rain and it was singing it's little heart out on the 'phone line overhead - it certainly sounded a great deal happier with the weather than I felt.

Talking about singing their hearts out - we don't get too many skylarks these days, yet when I were't lad it was a common occurance to hear them trilling overhead as we we tramped over fields, then you had to really look hard to spot them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not personally (no suitable nesting spaces here any more so they don't bother, sadly), but have heard from friends of swallows in Cornwall 3 weeks ago and house martins near Southampton and Newbury last Thrsday.

And to think CR, that you did not come and say hello. blum.gif Not much hope of getting out looking today in Newbury but at least the showery flow allows for more birds to trickle in. IMHO, in between the showers is the perfect time to witness the hirundines and most probably, many other wildlife interests.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Two swallows arrived here last weekend but have disappeared again for now.

I guess they could not find enough food and will have gone lower down for a few days.

Flies are conspicuously absent with most days not even getting to 10C, and another frost last night.