Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Times Change

Posted

This was just before my time in 1919 although they were being used from 1898.

In order to investigate the upper air, scientists devised small lightweight instruments which they flew below kites or balloons. This example, designed by C Marvin of New Jersey for use with a kite, measured temperature, humidity, air pressure and wind velocity. General view of pens and recording chart.

courtesy NOAA

post-12275-0-48953900-1335803900_thumb.j

Edited by Weather Ship

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Amazing technology for 1898. These devices must be worth a fortune now!

Posted

This was just before my time in 1919 although they were being used from 1898.

In order to investigate the upper air, scientists devised small lightweight instruments which they flew below kites or balloons. This example, designed by C Marvin of New Jersey for use with a kite, measured temperature, humidity, air pressure and wind velocity. General view of pens and recording chart.

courtesy NOAA

Why did they not send you blokes up to take the readings then let you parachute down with the data?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Nearly happened on a couple on occasions sans parachute. Talking about this reminds me of a truly tragic event that happened at a show in Germany a few years ago.

Someone had the bright idea of using a weather balloon with a small basket attached to give kids a ride up to 50 or 100 feet or so. Tragically the rope snapped ( why they didn't have a safety rope I've no idea) while a little girl was in it. Need I go on. It still gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Edited by Weather Ship

Posted

It's funny looking at this photo because the METO discriminated against women working at radiosonde stations for years. It was quite late on before one two slipped through the net. My late boss once said that he didn't want women at the station because they would be off work three or four days every month! I was speechless which was unusual. Mind he was homophobic as well so he spread the net. Anyway.......

Launching a pilot balloon Women's first opportunities in meteorology occurred as a result of WWII

Photo 1944 courtesy NOAA.

post-12275-0-22434800-1335879999_thumb.j

Edited by Weather Ship

Posted

quite amazing pieces of kit

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if the rain gauge picture at least is just staged in a convenient place to take the picture (with a huge camera and glass plate!)

Posted

Could well be. Not so with this extroidinary snow gauge in 1917. Fancy one in back garden?

Shielded snow gauge in the Northwest to register snow-fall. Courtesy NOAA,s National Weather Service (NWS) Collection

post-12275-0-58485800-1335888086_thumb.j

Edited by Weather Ship