Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hmm, I wish I lived much further south. Still, its fun reading whats going on from here.

Posted

Thunder being reported in parts of Dorset atm

Yep, first few flashes and rumbles moving across the Hants, Wilts and Dorset border at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Sat in the car facing out to sea here on the south coast, heavy rain here and that's it.

I can confirm lightning to the north of me, but it doesn't look like amounting to much I'm afraid

Fingers crossed for later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

There's no specific post which summarises the chances.

Basically, for our area, the risk of thunder (of which I put at around 20-30%) won't be until later, perhaps between 00z and 04z.

A dynamic and complex atmosphere is overhead, with occasional electric bursts around Channel, with slightly more organised thunderstorms over C/N France. Pulses of moisture are likely to converge in the next few hours, forming an organised band of heavy rain, with some localised torrential downpours with the chance of embedded thunderstorms.

Risk extends from S Wales across the S Coast/M4 corridor region along to Kent/Essex, as far north as Suffolk/Norfolk.

The messages from amateurs to experienced professionals alike has been that this is a very complex setup. Potential thunder but by no means guaranteed.

Keep an eye out of your window this evening and see how things develop.

IMO, the skies have looked conducive for thunder for the past 2-3 hours so fingers crossed biggrin.png

Check out page 1 of this thread Lauren I've just moved the two forecasts that were posted up this morning from Coast and Brickfielder.smile.png

Thanks very much!

Grrrrr, why must the activity be predicted for sleeptime?

Posted

Sat in the car facing out to sea here on the south coast, heavy rain here and that's it.

I can confirm lightning to the north of me, but it doesn't look like amounting to much I'm afraid

Fingers crossed for later.

Lightning visible and a few rumbles to the SE from here - ground strike seen from very high cloud base probably 20+ miles away

Posted

Been raining here since around 7pm, getting slightly more heavier now.

Fingers crossed for some imports later - just have to hope if we do get any, I don't sleep through them rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Just landed 30 minutes ago, there is quite a bit of turbulence in the 1000ft-1500ft region, quite a bit of shear. Gatwick denied me a transit, probably because the weather was pants. But it looked gloomy everywhere.

Speak when I'm home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Hoping for something later on tonight, impressive cells over Dorest which i think are probably going to track north of here but some potent cells exploding over north west France so hopefully they will drift this way and not be killed by the channel.

I have a feeling any storms that fire up tonight will only fire up once any precipitation crossing the channel hits land as i think the sea temperatures are abit cool to support many storms for long. Why does this have to happen the night before i have an exam! lol

Posted

To me it's looking good..I am NO expert lol...Just below Amateur tease.gif But everything SEEMS to be looking good for t-storms later..Activity Near dorset..Showers and other PPN breaking out over France and the Channel smile.png

Just have to hope the Channel doesn't kill them off!

Posted

Hoping for something later on tonight, impressive cells over Dorest which i think are probably going to track north of here but some potent cells exploding over north west France so hopefully they will drift this way and not be killed by the channel.

I have a feeling any storms that fire up tonight will only fire up once any precipitation crossing the channel hits land as i think the sea temperatures are abit cool to support many storms for long. Why does this have to happen the night before i have an exam! lol

This set of storms is not based on surface heating, rather good lapse rates, imported moisture, and convergence/directional shear; storms should make it across the channel as long as the moisture feed (latent energy) is in place.

Posted

To me it's looking good..I am NO expert lol...Just below Amateur tease.gif But everything SEEMS to be looking good for t-storms later..Activity Near dorset..Showers and other PPN breaking out over France and the Channel smile.png

Yep, very ominous mid level cloud, approx 7000ft looking at the height of the planes from Heathrow in relation, stationed at window on pc, flicking through the radar maps lol!!!

Let's hope we get a few nighttime flashes anyway!!!

Yep, very ominous mid level cloud, approx 7000ft looking at the height of the planes from Heathrow in relation, stationed at window on pc, flicking through the radar maps lol!!!

Let's hope we get a few nighttime flashes anyway!!!

Lol bloody planes..Constant roar and rumble every 7 minutes with them till about 11:30 then it goes dead..And it all starts again at 3am lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just had moderate rain start here in south wales and about 5mins ago roughly 15miles to my east maybe i saw a breif flash of lightning light up the cloud.. havent seen anything since though! Unless its been so long im not seeing things lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

The rainfall here certainly isn't as heavy as the radar suggests, just a few spots. I presume it's the fact these are higher level storms and there is likely to be some evaporation taking place.

I'm looking forward to the beast over Belgium coming into view of the UK radar.....looks like somebody squashed a fly on the screen.

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php

Quite a few strikes now over Europe, but most seem to be in Easten Germany, where the rainfall radar doesn't quite pick them up.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Wow, just refreshed the NW radar.. WHAT HAPPENED? Someone p*** off nature?

Thats some heavy rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

This set of storms is not based on surface heating, rather good lapse rates, imported moisture, and convergence/directional shear; storms should make it across the channel as long as the moisture feed (latent energy) is in place.

That sounds encouraging :) I think the precip over north west France has Devon/Cornwall written on it lol. The cells over Dorset are going nuts looking at the latest radar scans, is it still thundering there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Come on now, you know what happened to Frenchie 1 & 2 ;)