Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report & Pictures Chase Day 4 - Se New Mexico

Paul Sherman

Posted

What an absolutely incredible day, which ended with Drinking Beers with Sean Casey and a very strange Job Offer for me.

Started in Carlsbad and knew the Theta-E axis was just out west of us so decided to use US Highway 285 as our slide rule today, Upslope Flow can be very frustrating as Storms mill about on the mountains 50 miles west of the lower New Mexico Plains and the trick is to get on 1 dominant Supercell that is able to leave the mountains and eat into the Juice. I decided to play the 3 Towns along this road, Carlsbad, Artesia and Roswell. First Storm of the day was really struggling and as soon as it left the mountain promptly died, our attention was drawn to a Storm to the North West of Roswell so we went North and intercepted this about 25 miles west of Roswell. It became apparant that this was going to be the bossy Storm so off we chased, as we went back South from Roswell it really ramped up a few gears and started to put together some amazing HP Supercell Structure, we then got chased as the Supercell latched onto the 50kt North West Flow, next photo opps came east of Artesia and then again North East of Carlsbad. We finally let the Storm slam into us at a disused Gas Station and we got pummelled with 70mph winds and Hail (Dave has some great video of this)

We got into Carlsbad and ate at Chillis with about 50-60 Storm Chasers from around the World including Denmark, Italy and nearly all the Discovery Crew, Tim Marshall, Sean Casey, Dr Josh Wurman and Brandon Ivey. Then the bizarre part as I was checking us into the Best Western Sean and Brandon offered me a Job for the rest of the Season driving the TIV For a Spanish Tv Programme which I politely declined siting Netweather duties - Pmsl

Anyhow we gave Sean a Bud which he gratefully received although he was already the worse for wear.

Loving this Death Ridge and we have another 5% Tornado Risk tomorrow.

post-24-0-66052400-1336975931_thumb.jpg - Was the Day off to a Dodgy Start ??

post-24-0-47957700-1336975963_thumb.jpg - Wowzers HP Supercell South of Roswell

post-24-0-27078600-1336975987_thumb.jpg - Time to Run Just East of Artesia

Regards

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Wicked vid of us getting cored....

Hell of a ride!

Edited by D-J-V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I missed the stream last night, sounds like it would have been one to watch?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Love this stuff Guys,good.gifgood.gifgood.gifair_kiss.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

post-9920-0-73903300-1336978346_thumb.jp

Busted out the wide angle, great view of the entire storm!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Awesome storm structures guys, Sherminator driving the TIV, maybe we can hire it for the netweather chase next year?

Posted

Quick, and final plug - we have a few spots left on the chase this year - all for tour 3 which starts next week. Last minute bargains to be had....

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=stormchase;type=2012;sess=

Drop me a pm or email if you'd like more info - we may be able to work out split payments / payment plan's if that helps anyone..

Hi Paul,

Its Paul Kingston from North News and Pictures in Newcastle, UK, love your supercell pics at the top of this post. If you are interested, we could try and get your pics into the national newspapers here in the UK and poss abroad, with you being from the UK thats even better, you giving your account of storm chasing in the US. If you are interested, check us out at our website www.northnews.co.uk so you can see what we do or @northnews or @paulkingstonnnp on Twitter. Our other contact details are as follows: pictures@northnews.co.uk +44191 2330223

Many Thanks

Paul Kingston

Posted

My son (aged 12) had your live feed on for reading in bed and settling down time - only thing is my son found it way too interesting! Also laughed his head off at you guys turning up in front of the camera, and shouted 'get out of the way, I want to see the storm'! I'll show him the storm pics and vids you have posted, as you were about 20 mins from 'storm intercept' (drawing on Roger Smith's comment!) when I insisted it was time to sleep!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

My son (aged 12) had your live feed on for reading in bed and settling down time - only thing is my son found it way too interesting! Also laughed his head off at you guys turning up in front of the camera, and shouted 'get out of the way, I want to see the storm'! I'll show him the storm pics and vids you have posted, as you were about 20 mins from 'storm intercept' (drawing on Roger Smith's comment!) when I insisted it was time to sleep!

We should get some highlight videos up soon too. I have the same problem with my son, sleep time and the most active storm period tend to overlap.

Posted

Really enjoyed following the action last night, would be great if I could do permanent nights whilst the tours are on. Looks like this tour are having a blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Stunning photos, really good to see Tour 1 is going so well, especially when things looked very quiet on the models before the tour started.

That structure is amazing! Would love to have tested my new camera on that.

Looking more hopeful on the job front for me, if I get one soon I could be back next year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Wow that's an amzing supercell structure.

Would absolutely love to be there in the core too. Epic.

I'm in the same position to you Mark, maybe next year if I can save enough money through the first year of uni. Hmm.

Posted

What amazing pictures! Absolutely stunning! I hope your 4 produces some structure like this

Posted

We should get some highlight videos up soon too. I have the same problem with my son, sleep time and the most active storm period tend to overlap.

Exactly. So glad I'm not the only one! Looking forward to tonight's installment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

It was a nice chase to follow . Here are some shots of your mother ship from space - It did look nice and went to 27000 then 34000 then 24000 and just before I went to bed it pulsed up to 31000 . The speed varied 17mph the got up to 28 mph strangely enough when it was at 24000. When it went up 31000 again it slowed down. A bit like it couldnt do two things at once.

post-2466-0-34029300-1337017019_thumb.pn

post-2466-0-03225700-1337017053_thumb.pn

post-2466-0-40633100-1337017081_thumb.pn

post-2466-0-24778500-1337017114_thumb.pn

Right , going to throw some more things in my case . I will be out there with you on Saturday.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

post-24-0-47957700-1336975963_thumb.jpg

Just shown ya photo Dave on Channel 5 weather...

Posted

Lol

They showed my picture but Sian Welby credited Dave Bond air_kiss.gif