Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - June 7th 2012>

Coast

Posted

Quite a few branches and debris all over the side roads into work and a max gust overnight of 45mph in Eastbourne with more (and stronger?) to come. Sounds like a January Atlantic storm blowing around this office, rather than the start of Summer!

One of your posts yesterday said a monster was coming. So where is he?

On its way to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Waiting to get picked up at 4 o'clock. Can't be bothered to go to bed, as not long back from Colchester.

Looking forward to different sort of light shows over the next 10 days. I do love tropical sunsets, as well as tropical thunderstorms ( as long as they aren't too persistent )

I'll probably look in to this forum occasionally. Hopefully the forecasts might improve in the next week or so, as I'm finding this weather pretty depressing now. The wind is slowly getting up here.

Have a great time and bring us some sunshine back please...oh and the odd bottle of duty free if you don't mind angel.gif

Posted

On its way!

Well according to carol K gusts of 40mph today inland with maybe 60mph gusts around midday for Kent.

Nothing significant for Essex then.

Bristol channel confirmed to be windiest place today

Posted

post-6667-0-40896300-1339140405_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-66930400-1339140419_thumb.pn

Still some significant wind gusts to come until at least midday for us:

gfs_gusts_eur12.png

12_21.gif

Posted

There were certainly some strong gusts in the night here which kept me awake for a while, everything seemed to be rattling even though we have double glazing - it's not the sort of low pressure system and blustery conditions that you expect in June really!

Posted

Morning all, some interesting reports coming in. Leaving aside the worrying news of a twig in Loughton High Street (probably exaggerated as I'm not even sure Loughton has a High Street) there is clearly some notable weather for the time of year around parts of the country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18363905

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-18350146

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-18361107

My drive around the M25 from Reigate to the M40 was pretty lively. There was a fair amount of small tree debris on the road at Reigate Hill. We have a Carlsberg promotion at work today (it's a tough job, and all that) and the reps are trying hard to set up a gazebo! drinks.gif

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Guest archiesmummy

Just had some breaking news in, apparently, Essex isn't the only place to have high winds...crazy...see that trees down in hackney, at least 5 overground train lines are delayed or suspended due to trees down.

Winds expected to increase according to carol to 55-60mph inland for a time, the fact that the strongest winds haven't even reached Essex and parts of our region yet is something.

Loughton does have a high road, geek fact there are no streets in loughton, anyhoo, loughton is quite sheltered, go a very short way into open space and the winds are a lot stronger, obviously. Will be in loughton in about an hour, will report on the twig situ then....

Still my garden ok so obviously as its in my back yard there is obviously not a problem!

Was there an air show in Suffolk today as that has been cancelled due to the weather.

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

BREAKING NEWS

SUFFOLK SHOW OFF

high winds and heavy rain has forced the 2nd day off its wild out side

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I don't recall anyone saying that our region would be getting a major storm. Coastal parts of southern eng and sw eng were always meant to be bearing the brunt. Imby 30-40mph gusts is all that was ever predicted. Stronest winds should be over the next few hours.

Tho I should add that if there is any justice in the world, anthonyb should work for the metoffice :)

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted

Just driven from Loughton to st Albans and I can report I saw 7 twigs in the road.

No trees down although I hear hackney has a tree down.

Now st Albans is very exposed to the wind and there is no damage here.

Archiesmummy be careful you don't trip over that twig. Or get blown away

Posted

Leaves and twigs everywhere here.....and that's just indoors....it would seem the kittens have managed to climb up and destroy the house plants and scatter the compost round most of the ground floor in the night so some of the noises that kept me awake might have been internal ones angel.gif

Guest archiesmummy

Anthonyb your take on life fills me with pity for you.

Do you have to be quite so disparaging?

Ignore function, best thing....

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Quite far inland and was never predicted damaging winds. St Albans is barely in the metoffice warning and not near the coast

Lol. Agreed :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Forecasting is a thankless task.

The family and I left our Camber holiday a day early because we didn't want to be driving in the strong winds.

Sure you can predict the weather type but you cannot predict which trees wil blow over and when if any. Just look at that woman who had that lucky escape yesterday with her kids. It's just nt worth the risk.

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

looking at the radar is looking not very nice at all suffolk show off,!!!felixstowe docks closed in june for high winds!!! heavy rain and there and the weekend not looking much good at the moment and looking deep into fatasy world its not looking good to the end of june at the moment

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=108&mode=2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just driven from Loughton to st Albans and I can report I saw 7 twigs in the road.

No trees down although I hear hackney has a tree down.

Archiesmummy be careful you don't trip over that twig. Or get blown away

Please cut-out the petty personal stuff, anthony...Is it really necessary?

Posted

Just been called into our workshop as a huge gust has just pulled back part of the roof and sent wood and large metal fittings flying all over the machine shop floor. Time for hard hats!!!

Posted

Ouch you got me....

Guest archiesmummy

Just been called into our workshop as a huge gust has just pulled back part of the roof and sent wood and large metal fitting flying all over the machine shop floor. Time for hard hats!!!

Hope everyone ok?

This is why warnings are given over such big areas, you just don't know what's going to happen or where.

Just be observant if out and about today everyone. Nothing might happen and that will be good but be prepared. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Ouch you got me....

Oh give it a rest will ya. Right or wrong there are still clearly damaging gusts. If you dont get them, then good for you. For those that do, its no laughing matter.

Stay safe my 3C friends...

Posted

Oh give it a rest will ya. Right or wrong there are still clearly damaging gusts. If you dont get them, then good for you. For those that do, its no laughing matter.

Stay safe my 3C friends...

For those that do? You'd have to be pretty damn unlucky then to be standing under a tree other than that the only hazard would be flying litter.

The fact that not one person is talking about the wind here at work goes to show that this was not the MONSTER storm some predicted on here.

Just a exceptionally windy day for June.

But the south west and Bristol channel : now this I would clarify as a storm. After all they were the only ones in the amber warning.

Anyway I won't post my thoughts for a while on here as I seem to upset a few with my thoughts.

I would like to add I only post what is happening, ie - no storm force winds from loughton to st albans. I'm sorry if that upsets people and that there was only a twig in my road and not a house without its roof blown off

Edited by Anthonyb

Posted

OK, enough of the Anthonyb versus the rest of the SE and EA please. As this is still a weather forum/thread we should try and keep things generally on topic and with some interesting weather about today, there is plenty to discuss that is on topic!!

Thank you for your consideration all. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

It’s not what you say, it’s your attitude and how you say it. I’m not sure how old you are mate, but you sound like a teenager (I can’t be bothered to look at your profile). I’m very happy that you haven’t got any issues with the wind today. Clearly Coast's work roof isn’t quite as lucky.

I don’t think anyone on here said that Loughton and St Albans will be in the line to get the worst of the winds. Some of the amazing people on here who are mostly amateurs, stick their necks out to make a forecast, and most give a reasonable explanation as to why they believe they are right. Sadly, i have never seen you do this. You just seem to enjoy upsetting people when they are not right and then dance around like a little kid saying "I Told you So"....

Like i said, give it a rest and just leave it alone now. Enough already.

Back on topic, the winds arent really a factor in South London this morning, but when i left Hatfield they were certainly pretty strong. The conservatory roof was creaking like a gud un....

Sorry Coast, sent my reply as you sent yours i think....