Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst April Through June Since?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I have a very dark soul! It's probably the same reason I listen to Napalm Death at high volume.

But, jesting apart ( although I do listen to Napalm Death at high volume ) I find excessive rainfall just as exciting a huge snowfall, it's postively addictive seeing the total creep, or jump, higher and higher and knowing there's even more to come.

I'm not saying I'd want it to rain 24 hours a day every day ( although a month of it would be an experience! ) as it would make going out on my bike an arduous experience but even in the most unsettled spells this country experiences there are days with 7 or 8 hours of dry weather and that's more than enough for me.

I also like the boundaries of climate to be pushed at the cold and wet end of the scale at all times of year- it's why I live at almost 1100', because a cold and wet day here is a REALLY cold and wet day.

A small change in climate towards colder and wetter would soon make my local climate similar to that at about 1800' without me having to move house. I love the weather and climate of the high moors and if, for whatever reason, I can't move to it I'll have it move down to me.

The holy grail for me, in summer, would be a July or August with the greatest negative temperature anomaly on the CET record coupled with the highest monthly rainfall on record.

What a great post and I agree.. I don't care what the average person wants, because I'm not an average person! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Seriously how you can explain rationally the joy of wanting it to be exceptionally wet and dulI? Can understand the coolness part of the equation but not wanting the enormous rainfall totals that does not rationally make sense, IMO. And I don't equate excessive snowfall with excessive rainfall by the way. I can see people getting excited by a massive snowfall and a month with record breaking snowfall but not with rainfall.

How can you explain rationally the joy of wanting it to be exceptionally hot and dry? Do you not recall the thousands of deaths caused by heat in 2003 and 2006? Oh, right, because this is a weather forum, and people like extreme and unusual weather (if anything, wanting sunny and warm weather all the time is highly perverse on a weather forum). Let people enjoy the weather they prefer without attacking them, because it makes you look very silly and immature.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I like heavy rainfall and recording high totals and find it interesting, especially torrential convective downpours, what I don't like so much is too much dull grey weather with long lasting, often light/moderate frontal rainfall. I'd rather have rainfall like they do on the continent, more commonly convective in nature and shorter duration, but heavier when it falls. That way you also get more of the other things I like, warm summery weather and thunderstorms.

Living near a river and being interested in many physical geography aspects I find it interesting how they react to rainfall and when they are very high, though I don't like it when they flood peoples houses (admittedly built on the floodplain). Some heavy rainfall here (and unusually strong winds and stormy seas last week) is pretty much the only thing stopping me loosing interest and being completely dis-satisfied with this month.

Not gunna deny it, I'd love to experience a truly heavy fall of rain (convective or not) that gives over 100mm, or even rainfall like a place in Florida had recently (over 21 inches in 24 hours I think it was!). In an ideal world of course no one/property would be in the way of the resulting floods so I can see the spectacle without the unwanted consequences it often brings in this country.

Forgot to add, What I don't like in a summer month is cold/coolness, I need some warmth and also not too bad sunshine amounts. A few brief cool spells are ok to keep variety but not long lasting cool dull weather. In that respect, unless unusually dull I'd probably put a warm wet month above a cool dry month, especially if much of the rainfall in the warmer wet month was convective with thunderstorms.

If this June doesn't find some more sunshine and warmth though, it will end up pretty low indeed in my pile of summer months I've experienced..

Thanks for your reply. It helps to explain why people prefer types of weather that to others seem odd. : )

Posted

I have a very dark soul! It's probably the same reason I listen to Napalm Death at high volume.

But, jesting apart ( although I do listen to Napalm Death at high volume ) I find excessive rainfall just as exciting a huge snowfall, it's postively addictive seeing the total creep, or jump, higher and higher and knowing there's even more to come.

I'm not saying I'd want it to rain 24 hours a day every day ( although a month of it would be an experience! ) as it would make going out on my bike an arduous experience but even in the most unsettled spells this country experiences there are days with 7 or 8 hours of dry weather and that's more than enough for me.

I also like the boundaries of climate to be pushed at the cold and wet end of the scale at all times of year- it's why I live at almost 1100', because a cold and wet day here is a REALLY cold and wet day.

A small change in climate towards colder and wetter would soon make my local climate similar to that at about 1800' without me having to move house. I love the weather and climate of the high moors and if, forwhatever reason, I can't move to it I'll have it move down to me.

The holy grail for me, in summer, would be a July or August with the greatest negative temperature anomaly on the CET record coupled with the highest monthly rainfall on record.

Thanks for your reply, so 1879 would be an ideal year for you?

Posted

why does it always seem to rain more in the summer than the winter. why do we always seem to get greenland highs in summer. why cant we just have a nice summer. im sure the last one was 2006. why does it always rain when i go camping. rant over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thanks for your reply, so 1879 would be an ideal year for you?

Yes, Mr D I'd love to have lived through that one, though if I had I wouldn't be here enjoying this June.

Posted

This phenomenal spell of weather continues... temperature starts off at 11c at around 8am, with patchy sunny intervals and the temperature dropped to 10c by 10am. Now back up to 11c at 11am in june.

Posted

Today's forecast: Sunny spells with small chance of an isolated shower, high of 17c.

So far: Overcast with not one break in the cloud and 11.6c

post-2546-0-13147400-1339929332_thumb.jp

Also this is just the nail in the coffin really isn't it, EVERY Thursday - Saturday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1082.png

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

feels alot colder today than recent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

On my part, I've always enjoyed a mix of sunshine and convective precipitation (whether associated with those post-frontal "sunshine and showers" regimes, Spanish plume situations, or cold air/warm sea winter scenarios) because of the spectacular cloud formations we often get, the rapidly changing intensity of the precipitation and the frequently changing weather. This especially applies when the showers are very heavy with hail and/or thunder, when the weather can get very dramatic. Sunshine is a must because I tend to get lesser versions of the symptoms associated with SAD when the weather is predominantly cloudy. In my youth I often noticed that my favourite type of weather was basically a less extreme version of what storm chasers go after in the USA, though I wouldn't want to live in a climate quite as extreme as that due to the large threat to our own safety.

When it comes to settled spells, I tend to find those unseasonably warm and sunny ones the most enjoyable, perhaps because of the novelty value in what is essentially a cloudy country, the attention-drawing nature of such weather and the aforementioned issue with feeling more depressed when it's cloudy. If I couldn't have a bright showery thundery day on my birthday, that type of weather would be the next best option for me. On the other hand I find so-called "usable" weather tedious- I'm thinking particularly of those regimes on the periphery of the Azores High with extensive cloud cover, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of light frontal rain, because while the weather does change from time to time, it's the sort of weather where you can go about your life and barely notice any of it, hence its "usable" reputation. I suppose it comes from the weather enthusiast in me wanting some "real" weather to get excited over.

In fairness I get the impression that my tastes are not that unusual, as many of the regulars in the convective discussion threads seem to feel a similar way, but I often feel out of place in the model output thread, and in various circles in the "real world", where the prevailing desire is for sustained high pressure and absence of rain. But having seen Terminal Moraine and Stormmad26 express their reasons for having "different" tastes in weather I thought I would also give an explanation of my own.

Posted

The worst ever Junes here would be 1912, 1916 and 2007. At the moment 2012 looks like joining them as the worst of the lot.

Mean max so far just 12.0C which compares to an average of 15.5C for the first 16 days and 12.9C for the first 16 days of October.

Only 2 Junes in the past 60 years have recorded a mean max below 14C: 1971 with 13.5C and 1987 with 13.6C.

The highest temperature I have recorded so far has been just 14.2C and at Dyce the max as been 13.7C. An absolute joke. The previous lowest max for the first half of June was 15C in 1927 with all post-war Junes managing at least 16C.

Yesterday was as bleak as the most miserable of winter days. Several people going about in woolly hats and I recorded a max of just 9.7C for the second day running.

Another disgustingly bad week coming up as well with rain, cloud and below average temperatures forecast every day. It's beyond a joke and it's becoming increasingly hard to see how this diabolical month can avoid becoming the coldest on record.

Sunshine is the absolute pits. If it hadn't been for 2007 I wouldn't have thought it possible to get so many days of dismal slate grey skies in June. Total of 50.6 hours so far much of which has been early morning and evening. No prolonged sunshine during the day on any day so far hence the worse than dire temperatures.

June 2007 had just 34.1 hours sun up to the 16th and ended up on 88.6 hours compared to 102.5 hours for December 2006. Given the dire outlook it could well be this June ends up just as dull and below the 106.2 hours I recorded for January 2012nonono.gif .

Posted

Sunshine is the absolute pits. If it hadn't been for 2007 I wouldn't have thought it possible to get so many days of dismal slate grey skies in June. Total of 50.6 hours so far much of which has been early morning and evening. No prolonged sunshine during the day on any day so far hence the worse than dire temperatures.

Your sunshine total is actually quite a bit higher than a lot of places in southern England- I think up to yesterday Brize Norton had only recorded 29 hours for the month. I have to say though the temperatures in Aberdeen are shocking, it has at least been reaching 15C down here even on the rainy days.

Posted

June 2011 was much worse than this. Everyone you talk to always refers to that month and summer as the most depressing time for weather....ever! I'd never felt so down with the weather last summer. This year hasn't is not at all like what I'd like to see in summer, but I can live with it very happily, but if it continues into July I wouldn't be as happy. A change to another set-up would be ideal come the end of this month and to see something different and of course more sunshine and warmer days would be most welcome. I'm sure it will come eventually but despite the current weather being not what I'd prefer to have in summer, I can live with it pretty happily.

Posted

Have to ask, did anyone foresee in late May the exceptionally poor weather we have endured since the start of the month, I doubt many did..

My month ahead forecast went for a cooler and wetter than average first half to June, with an improvement in the final week to ten days (but not enough to stop the month overall being cooler and wetter than average)

http://gavsweathervids.com/monthly.html

Not sure I saw it being *quite* as dreadful as its been, but the anomaly was pretty striking.

Only thing now is that I'm getting worried about the "improvement" side.wink.png

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Personally i side with those who overall prefer a cool and wet summer, whilst i do like sunshine and heat from May-July outside of that i am a proper cold lover. Given that half of my preferred period has passed with just 10 days of sunshine and heat, i now want to challenge cold records and so am hopeful that we can get a CET no higher than 13.1C, making it not only the coldest month relative to average since December 2010 but the coldest June since 1991.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Last June was also pretty poor but at least it was saved by that 2 day spell late on in the month, although for northern parts it was just one nice day on the 26th.

However looking at the stats for Humberside Airport, 20c was achieved on 12 days. So far this month......not a single one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just really depressing. I would say this is the worst June in recent times here. What angers me most is how its pretty much just Britain suffering. Arguably yes, parts of France are also pretty wet but at least warmer! Upper temperatures are warmer in Greenland!!! Thats just plain wrong imo! It really does feel we are being punished for that hot spell in late May. 1 Weeks nice weather for many weeks of crap weather.

No signs of this going away. Its the theme of the last 5 summers all over again and if anything, more like 2007/2008 than the last two which were drier imo. Utterly depressing. The last part of June is looking like a write off probably. Good chance of the forecasts which went for improvements in June already being pretty wrong.

So just Britain suffering whilst the rest of the Northern Hemisphere enjoys its summer. This really is the equivalent of the Polar Vortex but over Britain. Of course, Summer will arrive in September. Pathetic.

This June is far worse than last summers.. Last June was pretty sunny just rather cold.. The summers just seem to getting worse by the year.Even today in west-yorkshire.. Its dry but still very cloudy supressing the temperture..

Posted

Yes it's easily the worst June I can remember. At least 2011 had a warm spell near the start of the month and quite a few 'usable' days throughout the month. Also don't forget June 2007 started off well with a sunny spell of around 10 days or so, albeit not overly warm. This month has had hardly any sunshine- in fact at this time of year it's possible that the sunshine totals for the entire month so far in some places could be exceeded with just 2 days of unbroken sunshine! This month has been far worse than I even thought possible.

As Alan Hansen would say on Match of the Day, unbelievably bad!

Posted

Both June 2007 and 2008 had warm days and produced thundery activity.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/2007/avn/Rtavn00220070609.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/2008/avn/Rtavn00220080609.png

This month has made July 2010 which was the dullest on record seem amazing in comparison, with only tommorow and Wednesday seeming possible to up the sun totals here

we may very well end up with the dullest June on record aswell as one of the coolest! if 20c is not hit Wednesday then it seems looking at todays charts its very plausible

to say this will be the first June in living memory not to breach 20c here!

This is probably the 3rd day when it has been predominantly sunny, after Saturday 9th, Wednesday 13th, on other days there have been sunny periods or morning which have been sunny [last Tuesday and Thursday as an example] , however this seems better than some. Given the abundant sunshine of recent Junes, this is the worst June in terms of the rain, lack of sun and temps in a long while.

Rainfall so far 99mm, which is very close to last years 100mm, which was one of the wettest June in a while.

Posted

It really does feel we are being punished for that hot spell in late May

Yeah. I think Last summer, we were punished for a warm April, and our winter was punished for having a cold summer and our summer arrived in Autumn. This summer it does feel like we are being punished for our mild winter and March and possibly the late May spell - and that recent spell could so easily have happened in June instead.

I do feel that we'll see more in the way of much more ideal or "proper" summer weather and I hope our summer arrives in time for July. I don't want to see a repeat of the awful summer of 2011, the depressingly mild autumn and the frustrating winter of last year.

Posted

A shocking (depending on your preference smile.png ) first two weeks of June which is illustrated

nicely on these anomaly charts.

temps. air pressure.

Temperatures below average,especially in north-eastern areas thanks to winds off the north sea

and a huge low pressure anomaly.

Rainfall obviously has been an issue as well!

Posted

Last June was also pretty poor but at least it was saved by that 2 day spell late on in the month, although for northern parts it was just one nice day on the 26th.

However looking at the stats for Humberside Airport, 20c was achieved on 12 days. So far this month......not a single one.

Last year here

http://weather.westerdale.info/climatedataout62011.html

This year - much worse so far, no comparison.

http://weather.westerdale.info/climatedataout.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

why does it always seem to rain more in the summer than the winter. why do we always seem to get greenland highs in summer. why cant we just have a nice summer. im sure the last one was 2006. why does it always rain when i go camping. rant over.

I would have thought to do with weaker Atlantic/jet stream, in winter its i would have thought much drier due to troughs whizzing through, 2 hour rain band then dry, and no convective rain

In summer these lows hang around bringing much more frontal and convective rain