Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst April Through June Since?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

It seems that a lot of places in the Arctic Circle are warmer than us that the moment - Yellowknife right up in the North of Canada has temps climbing into the mid 20s this week as well

Luke

Not really The average mean temp for Yellowknife in June is higher than the UK..so nothing unusual

Posted

Not really The average mean temp for Yellowknife in June is higher than the UK..so nothing unusual

Its actually slightly lower, but pretty similar. The 1971-2000 averages for Yellowknife are 13.5C (June), 16.8C (July) and 14.2C (August).

The UK really isnt the place for extremes of temperature though, being a maritime climate we'll always end up as one of the mildest areas at our latitude in winter and one of the coolest in summer.

Posted

well daytime maximums are the same pretty much the same as somewhere like Bristol for the summer months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree, the global warming lobby are having a laugh. Its definitely cooler now than fifteen years ago.

Dont believe the official CET data either because its been manually adjusted. They take the raw data and then alter temperature sets to allow for the Urban Heat Island effect. In doing so the data can be manipulated. But the adjustment is inverse. Basically the temperatures in London have increased a lot over the past two hundred years, but the warmth is because the city of tarmac, bricks, cement etc is now massively larger today. The adjustment they decide to make to alter the real data is not enough to take account of the increase in buildings....therefore it registers as forever warming.

Is that a fact?

Posted

I`m sure summers are getting cooler,much duller,wetter and the jet heading further south on average certainly does not help.

Today is awful.

Posted

Come now, there are still two summer months remaining.

And when has Britain ever had a reputation for fine, warm summers?

Having said that, the weather today is horrible.

Edited by andreas

My goodness me.. Whats the chances of getting 19c sunny skies and light winds in mid January?? cause today we have wind and cold rain.. Like the gales we get in January... Today's weather is shocking..

Posted

Wish we could have just a few weeks of below average rainfall, above average temps, well above average sunshine and a heatwave of above 30oC for a couple of days then I would be fine until Semptember! Isn't looking likely though and I said to my friend who lives across the road that because april was so horrible we would get some really nice weather from may onwards and through summer but so far it's been horrible, except that week in may but does anyone actually think we will get a sustained period of summery weather anytime soon?!

Posted

Didn't you have something close to that at the back of May?

Posted

Yet another awful sunless day of very cool featureless grey.

Mean max currently running at a diabolical 12.7C at Dyce. The record low of 13.5C in 1971 really does stand a good chance of being broken with no sign of any improvement. Records began in 1941.

Absolute max a disgusting 16.9C in my garden and 17.5C at Dyce which would again be the coldest on record beating 18.4C in 1971. Not reaching 20C would be notable in June having only happened in 1971, 1990 and 2007 (in the 71-year record).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

well daytime maximums are the same pretty much the same as somewhere like Bristol for the summer months.

Yellowknife has a mean maximum temperature of 21C in July.. August has 18C, a lot cooler than anywhere in southern England and even southern parts of northern England.

However, Fairbanks has a mean maximum temperature of 22C in July and a record high of 35C! this is a place that has almost total darkness for December!!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
But of course the problem is that the rise in average temperatures across the year hasn't been reflected in a proportionate rise in maximum temperatures in summer. And a cloudy summer can easily end up quite warm due to mild nights - yet be remembered as dismal due to lack of sun,

Exactly. When June has been as exceptionally dull and wet as this one, having mean temperatures not as exceptionally low is of little comfort.

To be honest, with hindsight I'd have scrapped the late May warm spell in exchange for a reasonably dry and sunny June. This has way gone way past cancelling out that spell of weather for me.

Posted
However, Fairbanks has a mean maximum temperature of 22C in July and a record high of 35C! this is a place that has almost total darkness for December!!

But by the same token it has almost total daylight in June.

Posted

Hey, I am new here smile.png

Can I just say, as exceptionally awful this month has been, rainfall wise and low sunshine and temperatures. Its amazing to think, that my area had more days above 20c in March and May! I think we have been once above 20c and that was 2 days ago! It really has been an absolutely exceptional month. A big summer lover and cold winter lover, I do love unusual weather like this. Where the weather has weird phases like certains months having long warms spells than other months, e.g. march 2012. Its weird to think that a number of days in the autumn and last winter had much more warmth than this month. Even Christmas week. Utterly bizarre, but interesting to say the least...

Welcome to the forum.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've quite often stated a dislike of those "usable" settled but mainly cloudy regimes that north-eastern England sometimes gets on the periphery of the Azores High, with lots of cloud, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain and consistently average temperatures. But in all honesty I could just as easily level that particular complaint at the unsettled weather that we've been having recently. Although it's been very changeable synoptically, the day-to-day weather has consisted of nothing more than cloud, lots of moderate frontal rain and the odd bit of sun with consistently cool temperatures. Today has been remarkably autumnal, even down in Norwich.

However, there is hope of things picking up next week from various perspectives.

Posted

I'd like to bin this June and start again - it is certainly one for the dustbin. The last 48 hours have been attrocious it has to be said cancelling out the rather fine Tuesday and Wednesday. The lack of sunshine combined with consistently well below average max temps and well above rainy days with copious amounts of rainfall and windy days is delivering one of the worse Junes for a long long time. Even cold Junes like 1991 didn't have the sae number of sunless wet days.

The rest of the month looks a write off. June is usually the best month in the Lake District for settled fine warm weather, not this year.

It continues to pour down outside - the rainfall totals by Sunday morning for the period 20-23 June 2012 will be very high in the Lake District - wouldn't be surprised if some places have caught 6 inches of the stuff by the end of the said period. That drought seems a long distant memory, I did say a few weeks back how quite often after long protracted dry periods, mother nature reverts with a bang introducing copious amounts of rainfall for sustained period, I do think we have now entered a lengthy wet period, and foresee a very wet autumn and probably wetter winter than recent ones - though not necessarily a mild one mind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Worst June night i can remember for a long while i.e before i went grey

it just hasnt stopped all bloody day

tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Wish we could have just a few weeks of below average rainfall, above average temps, well above average sunshine and a heatwave of above 30oC for a couple of days then I would be fine until Semptember! Isn't looking likely though and I said to my friend who lives across the road that because april was so horrible we would get some really nice weather from may onwards and through summer but so far it's been horrible, except that week in may but does anyone actually think we will get a sustained period of summery weather anytime soon?!

There be several goes at it over the next few weeks, but likely only but not certain that it will be the south that gets the heat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Another battering from the gales, friday seemed identical to an October day only if it wasn't for the greenery, yet we are in Summer and it's doing Autumn, we must not forget our Septembers have had a good record of high pressure and warmth, it could be that a late sunny Summer is the way this year, i do think that August will be Atlantic driven to some degree though especially late period-not certain-hope it's not! Up north being in the wet and cold it must be frustrating for you all, we needed the rain, we have had it, now lets have some sunshine! i mean clear blue skies, warm calm evenings for all, here in my area of Surrey it's been ok, with frequent sunny breaks and hot feeling sunshine-as it is in June, but the wind chills it off in the shade, it's not a dustbin job for my patch i must say, it's not been terrible, but acceptable, in fact it's not mounted to a cold month in terms of feel, but maybe the data says it is a cold month so far, but i don't feel it have been actually cold, but rather cool, cold nights have been the way, some early mornings have felt quite cold, all the time the sunny spells warm me up i won't complain to much! But it has been very wet so far.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

This June has easily been one of worst Junes I have ever known and probably would be on par with how bad August 1912 was, one of the worst summer months on record for temperatures and rainfaill. The last few days have felt like proper Autumn and winter. with Temperatures around 11c! It was warmer in March and at Christmas can you believe it. June 2007 was actually warm at least. Easily on of the worst summer months I have ever witnessed and what amazes me, no other bad summer month can even come close to this, it has been that hideous. The rain has been pouring since the morning till late evening. Truly awful...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

That last post rather suggests anti-warming confirmation bias. For instance Philip Eden has his own version of the CET series (which he believes to be a more homogeneous continuation of Gordon Manley's original scheme in 1974) and while some monthly values differ by a few tenths of a degree, they show a similar amount of overall warming. There are many near-homogeneous individual records going back to the 1800s, such as the ones at Durham University Observatory and Oxford, which show a similar amount of warming to both versions of the CET series.

Summers have definitely got cooler during 2007-2011 relative to 1989-2006, and this June is looking highly probable to be the coldest since 1991, but the trend in the mean annual temperature remains upward.

To be honest, I think it's been warm in the last 20 years, but warming hasn't really happened. If you look at the graph and there really hasn't been any warming for about a couple of decades, just warm years on a level trend.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/graphs/HadCET_graph_ylybars_uptodate.gif

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

... I do think we have now entered a lengthy wet period, and foresee a very wet autumn and probably wetter winter than recent ones - though not necessarily a mild one mind!

I do hope so as autumn and winter seem to have been the dry & sunny parts of the year recently. I'd much rather seen Atlantic depressions crashing across the country with rain and gales October-December where they belong, then all this vile cool, wet stuff can give us a wide berth during May-September. It really makes our climate seem terribly bland & uninteresting when all the cool, wet and sunless weather comes in summer and all the mild, dry and sunny comes in winter!

Personally this June has looked terrible statistically but hasn't felt *too* bad to me simply as I've been charged up by being out the country somewhere warmer for a week. Also, I got a decent day off work last Tuesday then Wednesday wasn't too bad either. Even this morning has some sunshine and doesn't feel cold. My garden is growing very well too.

Posted

When was the last time October recorded an absolute maximum higher than for the following June? 29.9C was the absolute maximum for October.

It didn't happen in 1986 as that June recorded a higher maximum than what was recorded for the previous October of 1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This June has easily been one of worst Junes I have ever known and probably would be on par with how bad August 1912 was, one of the worst summer months on record for temperatures and rainfaill. The last few days have felt like proper Autumn and winter. with Temperatures around 11c! It was warmer in March and at Christmas can you believe it. June 2007 was actually warm at least. Easily on of the worst summer months I have ever witnessed and what amazes me, no other bad summer month can even come close to this, it has been that hideous. The rain has been pouring since the morning till late evening. Truly awful...

August 1912 at Durham was an absolutely ridiculous month. It was not quite as exceptional for rainfall as in some other areas of the UK, but it had a mean maximum temperature of 15.4C (some 3-4C down on the long-term normal) and only 56.8 hours of sunshine- in fact Durham hasn't had a duller calendar month than that since February 2010. The year 1912 at Durham fell short of the 1000 hour sunshine mark (about 25% below normal), all of which contrasted strongly with the generally sunny year of 1911 (July was particularly warm, sunny and dry that year).

I don't think June 2012 will match August 1912 in the Tyne and Wear/Durham area, but then again August 1912 set the bar very high, particularly in the temperature and sunshine stakes. In Norfolk rainfall was the bigger issue during August 1912 with serious flooding near the end of the month, and again I don't think June 2012 will quite match it.

In the meantime it looks like many parts of northern and central Britain might actually fail to record a higher maximum in June than in March, as well as October.

To be honest, I think it's been warm in the last 20 years, but warming hasn't really happened. If you look at the graph and there really hasn't been any warming for about a couple of decades, just warm years on a level trend.

http://www.metoffice...rs_uptodate.gif

Wasn't last year the 2nd warmest ever (UK) and last decade the warmest decade ever (globally and UK)? 2010 was also the joint warmest year globally on record. How does that fit into a cooling climate?

Edited by Barb-