Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 5 Day 4 - Moderate Risk And Ian Is Fasting Today

IanM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

After over nighting in Pierre, South Dakota, the plan is to head east around 180 miles to lunch and watch for developments. I'll let someone more technical outline the risk, but SPC has it pegged as a 10% risk of tornado, with discrete supercells and long lived tornados a possibility, along with 2" hail, damaging winds and lightning.

The guests are all twitching to get out and play with the first big day of Tour 5.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

For a moment I thought Ian was fasting in readiness for the 72oz steak challenge - then I realised you're all a long way from Texas and a very large burger was consumed.

Think Huron to Watertown is a good spot to target - 15z RUC shows strong 0-1km shear and 4000 j/kg + CAPE in that area bomb.gif

post-1052-0-61612400-1339956727_thumb.gipost-1052-0-42691600-1339956751_thumb.gi

Good luck guys, 10% tornado risk/Moderate Risks have been few and far between this season, so hope SPC is on the ball and you bag a nado or two. Keep out them hail cores though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Hi Ian C , Paul & I M

Have to agree with Nick's target area. Do see an MCS forming out east into Minnesota. Will keep my fingers crossed for you all this pm. Stay safe.

Tom

Posted

Afternoon Team.Just watching the Portugal v Holland decider. Good game.

I might be edging towards Brookings, SD which is south of you for fire-up. The OFB from the ongoing MN stuff looks to be best placed to kick start convection pretty soon now just west of the MN border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

'...now you're going to die!.....'

Posted

'...now you're going to die!.....'

Paul says thats becouse you blocked him on facebook lol

and an update we are just about at the I29 at summit

Posted

we have bagged ourselves our first tornado have a few blurry pics as we had tornadic cells all around us now going to see if we can get another before it gets to dark then some lightning opertunities been a great day so far

Posted

heading to minneapolis for tonight will get there around 0245hrs been a long day but well worth it tornado's some good structure and stuck in the middle of 5 tornado warned cells and lastly some great lightning now 150 miles to the hotel so were in striking distance for tomorrows risk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Wheeeey TORNADOOOOOO

Good work team, Minneapolis! Thats crazy to think we were pretty much in Mexico on T2!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Video from Ian of one of the cells that was kicking out some serious lightning and doing it's best to drop a tornado biggrin.png

Awesome storm!!!

Posted

My god that is an insane video. I thought getting 1 strike a minute was a good storm LOL