Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 20th June 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

http://www.earthcam....<br /><br />

If you feel deprived then watch the Paris cam for storms smile.png

Edited by Perfect Storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

just wondering whether that big blob of ppn in South Wales will ever move.....and if it will crawl up to the West Midlands

which is feeling primedunknw.gif

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

If those storms coming out of France hold together you people in the South East are in for one 'ell' of an afternoon..!!

post-5386-0-18584100-1340281014_thumb.pn

NW 5min radar.

For only £3.49 for the month or £23.95 for the whole year you too can have access to the best UK rainfall radar on the net..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

It's like being under a soggy grey blanket here lazy.gif It sort of brightened up earlier but the only thing you'll get to chase around here is humid fog.... rofl.gif

Posted

If those storms coming out of France hold together you people in the South East are in for one 'ell' of an afternoon..!!

post-5386-0-18584100-1340281014_thumb.pn

NW 5min radar.

For only £3.49 for the month or £23.95 for the whole year you too can have access to the best UK rainfall radar on the net..!!

Dont think that stuff is heading anywhere near our shores im afraid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

actually have some blue sky currently to my east, high level cloud overhead making sunshine very watery at best, dark to the south & west....humid & warm, but the clearing sky does bode well for areas further east this afternoon for homegrowns

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Might be wise to watch Royal Ascot on the bbc..might see something on there kicking off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Snow, Heatwaves and extreme weather.

Looks to me like Kent/Essex/EAnglia/East Coast will be the only places that might have a storm. Here in dull Reigate its been overcast and drizzling all morning. Nothing particularly heavy and definately not looking stormy. Sums up the year perfectly so far.

Posted

The best way to find out whilst using the netweather extra radar is adding the wind vectors overlay, I look at the 850 and 700hpa wind vectors, and it adds it as a nice clear overlay to the latest radar.

Having just looked at the radar myself, it appears that the showers are moving in a NNE direction, the Easterly element means that they are more likely to be Kent clippers if they maintain their intensity rather than hit directly and move across a wider part of Kent and the SE.

o1nWjA.png

For those that are worried about the cloud cover hampering the thunderstorm development I really would not worry. The remains of the overnight system is moving away now, temperatures have raised ever so slightly along with the dew point. Current temperature is 17.4c here with a dew of 16c.

Conditions are very favorable, with unstable air, moist, and very warm air sourced from the near continent I think Eastern and SE areas will do very well later this afternoon in to this evening, we may not have the trigger at the moment in the form of the surface heating, but the other ingredients many of us including me that has failed to notice up until now is the other ingredient which is the "Lift" in the form of a sea breeze.

I'm very confident things are really going to kick off for SE and Eastern areas this afternoon and early evening.

Lewis

Edited by Humber

Posted

Suddenly the sky has really started to clear, still some thick cloud around but also fair bit of blue sky. Temps starting to rise now, 19.4 degrees AT, 18.9 DP.

Edited by Hughsey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Do a timelapse on the metoffice lightning chart, it is moving very swiftly towards Kent..

Posted

Today has a june 28th 2011 feel to it. The day started over cast and then storms broke out over south east england although there was a cold front unlike today. Feels humid though and there are plenty of showers about that could burst into action!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

At work in Doncaster at the moment and things are grey, grey, grey. Have not been out as it has only just stopped raining but not looking too clever at the mo. Really need the sun to break though the cloud and get some insolation going. then we might be in for a bit of that French action that is going on in Normany and between there and Calais.

Here's hoping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Very frequent lightning from that storm just leaving the north of France now!

post-3392-0-67876900-1340283469_thumb.pn

Precipitation is losing intensity unfortunately, but hopefully it will still be active enough for people in E Kent to see something.

Much brighter here now with some spells of sunshine, feeling much warmer too, and some convection.

For my location I'm worried about the light showers approaching from the south, I think they will inhibit any decent convection.

Some decent cells around Lincolnshire now, but no sferics yet.

Posted

Come on People we all know deep down that at best any activity is going to skirt up the Dover Straights and out into the North Seadiablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The best way to find out whilst using the netweather extra radar is adding the wind vectors overlay, I look at the 850 and 700hpa wind vectors, and it adds it as a nice clear overlay to the latest radar.

Having just looked at the radar myself, it appears that the showers are moving in a NNE direction, the Easterly element means that they are more likely to be Kent clippers if they maintain their intensity rather than hit directly and move across a wider part of Kent and the SE.

o1nWjA.png

For those that are worried about the cloud cover hampering the thunderstorm development I really would not worry. The remains of the overnight system is moving away now, temperatures have raised ever so slightly along with the dew point. Current temperature is 17.4c here with a dew of 16c.

Conditions are very favorable, with unstable air, moist, and very warm air sourced from the near continent I think Eastern and SE areas will do very well later this afternoon in to this evening, we may not have the trigger at the moment in the form of the surface heating, but the other ingredients many of us including me that has failed to notice up until now is the other ingredient which is the "Lift" in the form of a sea breeze.

I'm very confident things are really going to kick off for SE and Eastern areas this afternoon and early evening.

Lewis

I really hope you're right matey - I really don't have your optimism though sadly cray.gif

UKMO and MetO suggesting that a bit of eastern brushing is the best we can reasonably hope for....this is how I see it panning out at the moment (colours reflecting probability, not severity btw!!)

post-3790-0-02105900-1340283811_thumb.jp

Edited by Harry

Posted

At work in Doncaster at the moment and things are grey, grey, grey. Have not been out as it has only just stopped raining but not looking too clever at the mo. Really need the sun to break though the cloud and get some insolation going. then we might be in for a bit of that French action that is going on in Normany and between there and Calais.

Here's hoping!

Just drove past Doncaster area on the A1 and it was very grim and grey, but just 10 miles further south near Blyth the sun is starting to break through and it should start to brighten now as we go into the afternoon.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Some

Small but intense showers around the Humber ATM on Nw radar

eerily calm here too

Edited by Dazmaster75

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

had a look at met text forecast for wm they dont mension any thunder just heavy showers.

Posted

Met rainfall predictor shows just light to moderate showers across E Midlands and Lincolnshire this afternoon/evening and yet the BBC shows some really powerful showers. I always thought the two were connected... confused.com