Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Discussion - June 28th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Quite a nice day here. Reasonable sunshine, if a bit breezy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin all. Hope we have a more comfortable day today here in EA. It was stifling yesterday but cooler and breezier today. Lovely evening yesterday though. :D

But I will never trust another met office forecast again as long as I live. Hope all those in the NE and areas badly hit yesterday are getting back to as near normal as possible with the clean up. :)

Posted

Turning cloudy now here. Looks like some lightish rain to my west is due to push through soon.

Posted

If your serious, that might be an idea! Can you imagine us lot together?!

I'd go for it, if no commitments beforehand. Easy enough getting on a train for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Mornin all. Hope we have a more comfortable day today here in EA. It was stifling yesterday but cooler and breezier today. Lovely evening yesterday though. biggrin.png

But I will never trust another met office forecast again as long as I live. Hope all those in the NE and areas badly hit yesterday are getting back to as near normal as possible with the clean up. smile.png

Still havoc in places across this region this morning. The metro system is still partcially suspended in Tyne and Wear and hardly any trains running to Edinburgh from Newcastle. The storm was immense and from a personal point of view was spectacular but sobering. The amount of devastation caused by flash flooding across the region was eye opening for a storm that lasted around an hour.

It was a case of be careful what you wish for yesterday! Some great pics from the Leicester storm too the hail was mega impressive!!!!

Posted

Looking like a repeat performance middle of next week if the GFS Nails the next round of storms sorry.gif

Building Cape and Better Forcing for Ascent from the Midlands Northwards with a Possible Upper Trough located just West of the Uk could bring more fireworks for the same areas, another round of heat and humidity for SE Areas, at least it will be Warm.

Lots can change of course over the course of 5 days, but I was impressed with how the GFS Handled this outbreak yesterday, was mulling over the charts on Saturday last week in Colorado thinking Thursday looks spectacular in the NE & East Midlands and Lincs, end result was bang on, remember massive Cape pooling is little use when there is zero trigger, and I disagree the Met Office or any organisation failed to nail the areas at risk, they did a great job, my only gripe will always be the lack of adequate warnings from the METO, even yesterday watching the weather at 1030pm Mr Betts just said some strong thunderstorms affected those areas, why not just come out and say these were rare Supercells that caused this, they have nothing to hide and I am pretty damn sure they knew what type of Thunderstorms these were.

Anyway 1 too look out for around the 3-5th July if things can change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Wind seems to have really picked up here - a lot fresher than this time yesterday.

I'm in Wales & the Midlands next week before going to an airshow, half of me kind of wants that storm experience (if it does repeat, and doesn't cause too much havoc) but on the flip side I don't fancy my tent's chances Vs golf ball hail!! talk about torn!

Posted

Wind seems to have really picked up here - a lot fresher than this time yesterday.

Blowing a good one here too! Hope it subsides a bit as I'm going to Lydd airport tomorrow with Miss Shorelines 80 year old father for his first flying lesson!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Blowing a good one here too! Hope it subsides a bit as I'm going to Lydd airport tomorrow with Miss Shorelines 80 year old father for his first flying lesson!

Awesome! He'll love it!!!

Posted

Looking like a repeat performance middle of next week if the GFS Nails the next round of storms sorry.gif

It certainly looks tasty, maybe not for us at this stage, but a weeks worth of fair ground rides to overcome first!!!

156_20.gif

Awesome! He'll love it!!!

I'll be in the bar!!!! drinks.gif

Posted

Building Cape and Better Forcing for Ascent from the Midlands Northwards with a Possible Upper Trough located just West of the Uk could bring more fireworks for the same areas, another round of heat and humidity for SE Areas, at least it will be Warm.

Lots can change of course over the course of 5 days, but I was impressed with how the GFS Handled this outbreak yesterday, was mulling over the charts on Saturday last week in Colorado thinking Thursday looks spectacular in the NE & East Midlands and Lincs, end result was bang on, remember massive Cape pooling is little use when there is zero trigger, and I disagree the Met Office or any organisation failed to nail the areas at risk, they did a great job, my only gripe will always be the lack of adequate warnings from the METO, even yesterday watching the weather at 1030pm Mr Betts just said some strong thunderstorms affected those areas, why not just come out and say these were rare Supercells that caused this, they have nothing to hide and I am pretty damn sure they knew what type of Thunderstorms these were.

Anyway 1 too look out for around the 3-5th July if things can change

Looks interesting again for next week and the scenario will obviously never be quite the same, so we ( or those of us who like storms ) can live in hope.smile.png

My gripe with the Met Office yesterday was the yellow warning only, for England, which was never upgraded, even when from early morning it was apparent that the intensity of the storms was unusual. I think the death toll was very low (thankfully) all things considered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Quite a nice day here. Reasonable sunshine, if a bit breezy.

Lovely warm sunshine, just a bit too breezy for me to have my lunch in the garden today wacko.png

I'd go for it, if no commitments beforehand.

....same here, would be great fun to all meet up good.gif

Posted

Sunny intervals here in Ippy with some cloud and light showers and strong breeze.

Looks interesting again for next week and the scenario will obviously never be quite the same, so we ( or those of us who like storms ) can live in hope.smile.png

My gripe with the Met Office yesterday was the yellow warning only, for England, which was never upgraded, even when from early morning it was apparent that the intensity of the storms was unusual. I think the death toll was very low (thankfully) all things considered.

I agree. Every time I looked at my met office app I expected an upgrade, but no; it was yellow all day. But there were warnings for EA and nothing there. The met office is a puzzle for which there is NO answer!

Posted

I was thinking yesterday, while all the action was going on all around us, that in some ways I wasn't bothered about missing out on the storms.

The reason being that I prefer to see thunderstorms from my own house.

My work location (which many would really like if they saw it) just allows me to look to the north, so is probably the worst direction in which to see what is approaching. I look over green fields, so can't easily judge how intense the rain is (I like seeing splashing rain on roads, in puddles etc.) and I've got zero chance of recording / photographing anything memorable that may occur. I also dislike driving in storms.

I've seen very impressive rainfall totals from storms when abroad: Mauritius, with an approaching tropical cyclone - not a direct hit though; Rarotonga, in the Cook Islands, where the 4 night trip included an enormous rainfall from a minimal tropical storm and other tropical thunderstorms at other times.

To me, none of these compare to experiencing something on my own patch, even if nowhere near as dramatic.

I suppose I'm the same with snow too. When I've been to Alpine resorts, there's nowhere near the excitement that is generated by seeing something happening in my own village. I was in Ischgl in Austria, in January, where there was a massive snowfall, but my only concern was how it would affect the skiing - not the only concern though, fitness being a bigger one!laugh.png

Anyone else the same, or is it just the pure experience of severe weather?

Sunny intervals here in Ippy with some cloud and light showers and strong breeze.

I agree. Every time I looked at my met office app I expected an upgrade, but no; it was yellow all day. But there were warnings for EA and nothing there. The met office is a puzzle for which there is NO answer!

Keep faith for seeing storms though. It's still only June. I think your enthusiasm for storms is great. A bit like mine, when I was younger.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It's just the experience and excitement for me but I know what you mean the anticipation or the surprise element of something unexpected often makes it more pleasurable - I've enjoyed the snow events we have had here more than I have when you go on a holiday to a ski resort where you know there is going to be feet of the stuff, I've also experienced some violent storms and monsoon rain in other countries the like of which I could only dream of seeing IMBY !

Posted

I was thinking yesterday, while all the action was going on all around us, that in some ways I wasn't bothered about missing out on the storms.

As my 'enthusiastic' posting proved, yesterday and the lead up to it was very exciting and I wasn't over worried that we missed out this time as a lot of people saw some pretty exceptional weather conditions - our turn will always come eventually!

I'm having to make up for it today though, too much paperwork to get through before the weekend starts!

drunk.gif

Cheers QS, pop one of those for me!!!!! laugh.png

Posted

The reason being that I prefer to see thunderstorms from my own house.

My work location (which many would really like if they saw it) just allows me to look to the north, so is probably the worst direction in which to see what is approaching. I look over green fields, so can't easily judge how intense the rain is (I like seeing splashing rain on roads, in puddles etc.) and I've got zero chance of recording / photographing anything memorable that may occur. I also dislike driving in storms.

I've seen very impressive rainfall totals from storms when abroad: Mauritius, with an approaching tropical cyclone - not a direct hit though; Rarotonga, in the Cook Islands, where the 4 night trip included an enormous rainfall from a minimal tropical storm and other tropical thunderstorms at other times.

To me, none of these compare to experiencing something on my own patch, even if nowhere near as dramatic.

I suppose I'm the same with snow too. When I've been to Alpine resorts, there's nowhere near the excitement that is generated by seeing something happening in my own village. I was in Ischgl in Austria, in January, where there was a massive snowfall, but my only concern was how it would affect the skiing - not the only concern though, fitness being a bigger one!laugh.png

Keep faith for seeing storms though. It's still only June. I think your enthusiasm for storms is great. A bit like mine, when I was younger.

I agree with that about seeing TSs from home. Even when others say they have witnessed spectacular storms abroad I'm not a bit envious. At home you can whoop and squeeeeee at every flash and wallop and no one to think your bonkers. :D

May our enthusiasm never stop. :D

Posted

I'm the same as you Speed you go to Alpine regions for skiing so large amounts of snow are expected you go somewhere tropical and you can pretty much expect some sort of tropical storm. The weather in this country is usually average so to get extremes like large amounts of rain or tropical type storms or a couple of inches of snow is exciting when it happens in your own back yard.

Wow Coast is rich huh flying lessons no less!!

Guest archiesmummy

I'm the same as you Speed you go to Alpine regions for skiing so large amounts of snow are expected you go somewhere tropical and you can pretty much expect some sort of tropical storm. The weather in this country is usually average so to get extremes like large amounts of rain or tropical type storms or a couple of inches of snow is exciting when it happens in your own back yard.

Wow Coast is rich huh flying lessons no less!!

Lovely day today, sun is out and blue sky, obviously! And much more refreshing with the breeze...

I hope coast isn't planning on wearing his mankini...;) lol

Posted

Clouds evaporating here. Hoping for a nice evening!wink.png

Posted

Lovely day today, sun is out and blue sky, obviously! And much more refreshing with the breeze...

I hope coast isn't planning on wearing his mankini...tease.gif lol

Eww let's hope not there is only so much the South East can take!

Posted

Off to my local soon. First drink for five days, so much deserved I feel.whistling.gif

Have a good weekend EVERYONE here!drunk.gif