Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands & Nothern England Thunderstorm/flooding Footage 28/6/2012

A.J

Posted

Some pretty impressive videos out there:

and this shows the point of view from inside a car:

There's loads of footage up there, many from the same town as these.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think its amazing how these severe conditions weren't isolated - they were repeated many times across England in particular. Large hail is an occasional visitor to the UK along with supercell thunderstorms, but how many times does the UK see several in one day!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hAKNU4Gvo

[the sound isn't working on my PC - sorry if either contain choice language, they're not mine]

Edited by Alza

Posted

I think its amazing how these severe conditions weren't isolated - they were repeated many times across England in particular. Large hail is an occasional visitor to the UK along with supercell thunderstorms, but how many times does the UK see several in one day!?

That first video is very good,very similar conditions to what i faced on my own drive home.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A telegraph article and they misspelled lightning??? Shocking (if you'll paron the punne)

What's all talk of tornadoes...can someone put me in the direction of some images/vids pleeease

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

small snippet from a friend near Hinckley - their 10 x 8 conservatory roof has a grand total of 174 holes nonono.gif

I just got in the house at the end of BBC Look North East/ Cumbria bullitin at tea time. One small clip they showed at the end was of the Super cell video footage taken from the air, above cloud level. Did anyone else see it, or know where a copy is online of the aerial footage.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Excellent forecast, this from Nick F

As this area of storms move away NE this morning, warm and moist surface airmass (dew points of 18-20C on recent obs) will become increasingly unstable where we see sunny spells break trough across central, eastern and northern areas of England. CAPE values of 1200-1500 j/kg are indicated by forecast skew-ts here this afternoon, so surface heating in the sunshine may trigger some strong thunderstorms this afternoon. 0-6km shear of 30-40 knots is indicated across central and eastern areas this afternoon, so storms are likely to organise into multicells and perhaps a few supercells capable of producing large or very large hail, excessive rainfall, frequent CG lightning and strong gusty winds. Storms will also become surface based as the surface warms up, with temperatures reaching the mid-high 20s deg Adequate storm-relative helicity will be in place for rotating updrafts to form in any storm supercell structures to produce a tornado, perhaps a strong tornado, therefore have issued a MODERATE risk for large hail and tornadoes. Storms should clear way north this evening with fresher more stable air moving in behind cold front.

I don't think i have seen a moderate risk before, incredible stuff, i'm so amazed by the severity and elements from these storms, well done to the forecasters on NetW, and also MetO, and UKww and others who called this one, very difficult situation to forecast and it's shocking that this one came off! you just do not expect weather like this over here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

A telegraph article and they misspelled lightning??? Shocking (if you'll paron the punne)

What's all talk of tornadoes...can someone put me in the direction of some images/vids pleeease

UKWW has a thread here with all the tornado footage ive seen so far: http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/92022-rfmi-tornado-swalby-nr-sleaford-lincs-thu-28th-june-12/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I just got in the house at the end of BBC Look North East/ Cumbria bullitin at tea time. One small clip they showed at the end was of the Super cell video footage taken from the air, above cloud level. Did anyone else see it, or know where a copy is online of the aerial footage.

Thanks.

Yeah I saw it, quite a spectacular piece of footage! I'd have loved to be on that plane, I love seeing thunderstorms from the plane window!

I don't know where there is a copy, sorry. Look North sometimes goes onto iPlayer, but I couldn't find it.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Yeah I saw it, quite a spectacular piece of footage! I'd have loved to be on that plane, I love seeing thunderstorms from the plane window!

I don't know where there is a copy, sorry. Look North sometimes goes onto iPlayer, but I couldn't find it.

Yes spectacular indeed.! Ive searched for this footage also but alas no luck.. I saw a fantastic night storm over the former Yugoslavia when I was flying back from Crete. The storm was that intense it illuminated the southern side of the Alps which were 100-150 mile away..!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Some of the large hail that fell was very irregular and opaque, the shape looks rather lethal.

Fascinating to see the random shapes ,and what conditions lead to the formation of jaggered stones. Must of been rare updraught speeds in these for the U.K.

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Still got to download pics of the storms from my camera. But we missed the worst as they brushed past here.

Will have a look before long.

Some superb Youtube videos from Redditch and Hinkley. T

This from Melton Mowbray --

Also I've been sent this

Weather radar for 28 June 2012

Apologies if these have been posted`already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Heres a couple more movies from Thursdys epic

although not as spectacular as a few of the movies posted from this storm, these show its fair share of lightning and some truly biblical rain

Dubious commentary is supplied by a sleep deprived, over exited,Chuntering old Brummylaugh.png

The shutter clicking which can be heard is my attempt at catching some quality lightning shots by `burst shooting`as opposed to stills from my video......just on the off chance that a visibe bolt drops on to the city skylinewacko.png

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Just wondered if anyone would give me permission to use some of the pics here for my website?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Has anybody seen this video showing a possible tornado over Liverpool during last Thursdays storms? Looks like it could well have been a funnel cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

It does look like something tornadic, it looks as though it was on it's way to a tornado development ,if only the video was longer and maybe zoomed abit more.

Posted

Done some research on the supercells storms, i looked around some forums on searching - hailstorm in

Hinckley, Leicestershire, i am going to look for the chat on the tornados this week in non-weather related forums like these 2 links below, many type of forums from football to clocks and watches have threads on these mega storms. So here are 2.

http://forums.overcl....php?p=22238445

14y94zo.jpgqrd637.jpg

http://www.tz-uk.com...aafad97368bedd7

RSnaX.jpg

7460473976_98a91fbb30_z.jpg

7461491922_de9af2aba1_z.jpg

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Just found another forum

http://www.urban75.n...ershire.295510/

Some mega videos on there, watch the green house get smashed up on this one! watch the greenhouse top right back of garden, windows pounded out soon as video starts.

This next one, the violent hurricane force looking winds rapidly change direction near last part of film.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Done some research on the supercells storms, i looked around some forums on searching - hailstorm in

Hinckley, Leicestershire, i am going to look for the chat on the tornados this week in non-weather related forums like these 2 links below, many type of forums from football to clocks and watches have threads on these mega storms. So here are 2.

http://forums.overcl....php?p=22238445

14y94zo.jpgqrd637.jpg

http://www.tz-uk.com...aafad97368bedd7

RSnaX.jpg

7460473976_98a91fbb30_z.jpg

7461491922_de9af2aba1_z.jpg

Just found another forum

http://www.urban75.n...ershire.295510/

Some mega videos on there, watch the green house get smashed up on this one! watch the greenhouse top right back of garden, windows pounded out soon as video starts.

This next one, the violent hurricane force looking winds rapidly change direction near last part of film.

Absolutely incredible stuff by our standards in the UK, those hail stones are monsters, look how small the 50p is in comparison!! Wonder if anyone was unfortunate and got hit on the head by one, I imagine a nasty injury could have occurred! Lots of videos surfacing onto Youtube from last Thursdays events. Well done to all the people and general public out and about collecting the footage smile.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Never attached pics here before -- so please forgive me if all goes wrong ..

At last some pics of the events June 28th off my camera.

My camera time is fast, but I've put correct time on the titles.

Here's four pics when the big storm came up from the WSW. about 3pm.

This thunderstorm sneaked up on us, though MW radio had been crackling for much of the day before.. Never saw the tops of the cloud nor any retreating features. Actually, rarely saw the tops of any clouds that day. Just two brief occasions at other times, morning and evening -- which I caught on camera and will post separately.

Can anyone help?

Is there a wall cloud OR a shelf cloud coming towards us, showing up on nearer picture 3.13pm? Storm would be climbing up into the Bowland fells at that point, having come up from Preston direction.

First thunder heard from that side 3pm

First spots of rain 3.10pm.

Gusty wind got up about that time onwards..

Thunder much nearer about 3.50pm and spell of very heavy rain then. Black clouds all around as the other picrures show..

post-9606-0-09187600-1341240821_thumb.jp

post-9606-0-74897800-1341240868_thumb.jp

post-9606-0-35420100-1341240954_thumb.jp

post-9606-0-71463100-1341241018_thumb.jp

Posted

Answered my question myself (Today 15.59) I think. It must have been a wall cloud. Was on the approaching side of the storm and on the south east side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Thunderstorms

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nshire-18669831 Thought this might be of interest.......................Welcome to the Uk's Tornado Alley (Lincolnshire).

Just had a gander at that BBC footage... It says the tornado in Sleaford was a couple of weeks prior to this major supercell? I thought it was to do with the same storm system on the sae day! Or am I getting confused here? I didn't hear of any other major storms capable of putting a twister on the ground that size in weeks before the 28th! Any ideas?

Edited by Jordan Naylor