Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yep, yet another 'once in a lifetime' rainfall event - how many 'one in one hundred years/since records began/in living memory' events will we have in the space of a couple of years before it is accepted that climate change is real ???

Been absolutely hammering down here with barely a let up since around 12.30 - but five hours of intense rainfall is nothing to write home about anymore................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Let's not ruin these threads with climate talk.. please.

Posted

A few miles makes a big difference at the moment aswell, here its the third day in a row that has been completely dry. All the while that arc of precipitation has stuck to the south and west of us all day soaking some parts.

It was cool but not exceptionally so, with a maximum temperature of 17.6C too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

In St.Ives for the week, and it's sunny and warm. :D

Posted

Most of the precip has just missed here by a few miles, with only 1.2mm of rain so far today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

My time lapse of the convergence zone earlier this afternoon.

Posted

The reason there's been flooding again so readily is due to the waterlogged state of the catchment.

In a normal summer the ground will eagerly absorb a large percentage of rain events.

This year it has never had chance to dry since early April - it has simply got wetter and wetter.

Posted

A pretty miserable day here today with light rain and drizzle up until about mid afternoon,then just cloudy and cool.

Looks to have rained all day up in the borders under that rain belt.

Posted

Yes, quite scary for places like Hebden Bridge, surrounded by steep hills which are soaked. Every significant rainfall event from now on will see the river rise like a tide until we get a break in the weather.

Posted

A months rain in 3 Hours it just said on the news in Hebden Bridge.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

Looks to have been getting on for 2 inches of rain at Hebden bridge today judging by the accumulated rainfall.excl.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's almost vindictive the way the weather gods have allocated the rainfall recently. Yet more heavy rain over south Derbyshire last night but just a few light-moderate showers around midnight here. This morning I look at the radar to see an area of heavy/very heavy rain sitting a few miles to my north west over Buxton ( 24 mm since midnight ) whereas here there is thick fog and a few spots of drizzle.

Oh how I wail and gnash my teeth in frustration.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Overcast and the rain started about 8am-mostly moderate in intensity. Roll on winter as it cannot be as bad as this summer!!

I'd be expecting another very dry and sunny autumn once the Jet slips further south for the winter? I cannot see the 'stuck weather patterns' pattern altering and ,should low sea ice be one of the reasons for this 'odd behaviour' then things will just plod on as they are.

I think we have to blame the positioning of the Rocky mountains for the positioning of the jet trough and the amplitude on the reduced temp gradient from the pole to the south?

If I'm right then the only way the Jet will move is up and down with the seasons.

Posted

25mm of rain in Buxton so far today, little more than a few drops just 12 miles to the SSE. Wow.

The deluge over south Derbyshire last night that caused some flooding also fizzled out before it got here.

Edited by Harve

Posted

Already this month there has been 3 days with over 30mm of rainfall.

July 5th: 34.9mm

July 6th: 34.7mm

July10th: 30.7mm

Posted

A dismal week so far here with fairly persistent rain/drizzle and zero sunshine.

NAE has rain all night and all tomorrow,just to rub it in!

Posted

A lacklustre summers day. Light rain off and on, with some moderate bursts this evening and no sunshine and feeling preety cool despite no winds. Very dissapointing, mind we have been spared the heavy rain of places further to our south and east with no flooding, what rain has fallen in recent days has been fairly light and shortlived.

Tomorrow looks a dismal day for NE England with a slow moving front and a very chilly blast of air from the north suppressing temperatures. However, Lancashire, Manchester and Merseyside could see a dry and fairly sunny day. If it was winter a proper snowy day...

The very poor summer of 2012 continues apace...

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I was going to venture on a 10-mile walk tomorrow but the temps and fact i'll be walking over water-ladened fields suggest otherwise. Along the Whaley-Disley tops road there are signs of weather in the underlying base-rocks as a number of large pot-holes have appeared, also for a time the main Whaley-Macc road was closed just after Kettleshulme as the river Toddbrook flooded over the bridge and made it impassable for even 4x4's to attempt.

Posted

A disappointingly cool, cloudy day with sporadic light/rain drizzle. Spells of more persistent rain during the afternoon -at times torrential- helped suppress temperatures, maxing briefly at 13.c, mostly 11.c for the day.

Roll on winter and the Christmas smiley's! w00t.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

A dismal week so far here with fairly persistent rain/drizzle and zero sunshine.

NAE has rain all night and all tomorrow,just to rub it in!

I know Cloud it's a right downer like, rain rain and more rain I am sick of it. The batch over South Tyneside to Sunderland (ish) has also intensified so a proper miserable night here and across the NE. Can't wait for Autumn we might see some warmth lol