Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET Watch

Posted

So a just above average CET looks likely, a preety non-descript month temp wise with mild minima cancelling out the rather average maxima - though some places did get above 30 degrees.

Could someone post the monthly CET values for 2012 so far, I think we are 4 above (Jan, Mar, May, Aug) and 4 below (Feb, Apr, Jun and Jul), however, only March has been appreciably above the average with Aug and May very near average.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

So a just above average CET looks likely, a preety non-descript month temp wise with mild minima cancelling out the rather average maxima - though some places did get above 30 degrees.

Could someone post the monthly CET values for 2012 so far, I think we are 4 above (Jan, Mar, May, Aug) and 4 below (Feb, Apr, Jun and Jul), however, only March has been appreciably above the average with Aug and May very near average.

May was bang on the 1981-2010 average.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

May was bang on the 1981-2010 average.

It's funny you should mention May. This August has behaved like May 2012 but in reverse with a slightly above CET masking a consistently warm and at times very warm first 3/4 in contrast to a much cooler last 1/4. On the other hand May 2012s near average CET masked a consistently cool and temporarily very cool first 2/3 offset by the warmest last 1/3 on record. Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

Climate UK (Manley) have released their closing monthly stats

CET: (Aug 1-31): 16.66°C (+0.16 degC)

E&W Rain: (Aug 1-31): 93.5mm (124 per cent)

E&W Sun: (Aug 1-31): 167.6hr ( 87 per cent)

© Philip Eden

I suspect these figures reflect significant regional variations but here in Kent we had a pleasant month in that it was essentially warm and fairly sunny with not too many persistent rain days to spoil things. Only complaint was the high humidity at times especially at night.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We dropped in at 16.1C with the last few days putting a big dint in the figures. Just outside the CET area but shows a good varition across it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Yep, 16.6C in the finalised data too

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_mean_2012

August 31st came in at 10.9C. You have to go back to June 3rd to find a cooler day. The minimum was 4.9C, lowest since May 17th.

That final day took 0.2C off the overall monthly value.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Damn, so close yet so far with only 0.2C off! One day might get it right!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Anything within 1 degree is a good shot.

Posted

Thanks once again to Jackone for compiling the scores. It's quite nice to have won the seasonal competition although I'm not sure the luck will stay with me in order to win the full year's gong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Yep, 16.6C in the finalised data too

http://www.metoffice...t/cet_mean_2012

August 31st came in at 10.9C. You have to go back to June 3rd to find a cooler day. The minimum was 4.9C, lowest since May 17th.

That final day took 0.2C off the overall monthly value.

August 2012 was the first August to achieve a Mean Daily CET below 11C in August since August 1978. http://www.metoffice...cetdl1772on.dat

If we get locked into warm zonality or/and Indian Summer synoptic patterns it could be well into the autumn before we plunge this low again.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

blimey, 2nd overal and 3rd for the month! Just goes to show you, totally uneducated guesses can do well!!

When you get it right 12 months in a row and want to sell your book 'How to read the weather using Tea Leafs' you will regret that comment. acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

blimey, 2nd overal and 3rd for the month! Just goes to show you, totally uneducated guesses can do well!!

A fair bit better than Piers Corbyn?rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
Posted · Hidden by reef, September 6, 2012 - Post moved as requested
Hidden by reef, September 6, 2012 - Post moved as requested

Can a mod send the above post to the September CET thread pleasedoh.gif

Posted

Just realised I was further out than I thought - but 0.6 degrees isn't bad compared to the 1.7 degree difference in June and July - I'm doing poorly this year a far cry from 2010 when I was in the tiop 10 each month - nevermind, the very cool april-july period combined with the very mild March has really caught me out.