Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 4th August 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not even a distant rumble in this void know as wigan, thats why i dedided to head out somewhere else and got a few crumbs, i knew sod all would happen here

I declare wigan and crewe the joint stormless capitals of the uk

And while you're at it CC and others, did anyone notice the HUGE VOID darn sarf today I wonder? sorry.gifsearch.gif Well done to you lucky lot anyhow, me not bitter! diablo.gif I was out for the day so didn't care too much as it happened. The CSE region will rise again I'm sure.

Game on for some convective action. clapping.gif

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

A few miles away, we had a heavy shower and two rumbles of thunder this evening

I chased that storm and got a couple of flashes and cracks,.... things are desperately bad when we have to do that , gone are the days when i just sat at home loosing count of the vast number of flashes and bangs,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

HaHa typical, look at all the intense activity running up the west, but a void around my area, then the activity starts again just further north with vigour i told you there was an anti storm force field here , that confirms it.

Time and time again I see that void area and TBH I have no idea what's causing it.....it's doing my nut in!

It makes you wonder whether it's purely coincidence or something more sinister like part of an unknown feedback mechanism or geographical quirk.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Well today wasn't that bad,the cell that past west of Bristol gave me afew distant strikes and rumbles and some cool pics,headed to Cleavedon which was a mental trip torrential rain and a lot of surface water which at times engulfed the car which was quite funny,arrived in Cleavedon and was quite impressed at the build up of clouds,went to the pub and was told I had to spend 12 quid to be able to use my card so went looking for a cashpoint,MISTAKE as it absolutely tipped down and got soaked through,we were a couple of drowned rats lol but there was T&L so its ok and got vids,heading back down tomorrow so hopefully a proper storm,this weekend is the best chance in years to see a good storm please let it happen,I can't bear it in the NSC lol tomorrow could be my ticket out of there,eveything crossed and goodluck all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

What a day for storms, and what a day for Team GB biggrin.png

Here's a shot of the lightning strikes recorded over the last 24 hours.

Thanks for all the reports, photos and video today, please do keep them coming!

Ohhh, I'm fuming.. lol

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Well today wasn't that bad,the cell that past west of Bristol gave me afew distant strikes and rumbles and some cool pics,headed to Cleavedon which was a mental trip torrential rain and a lot of surface water which at times engulfed the car which was quite funny,arrived in Cleavedon and was quite impressed at the build up of clouds,went to the pub and was told I had to spend 12 quid to be able to use my card so went looking for a cashpoint,MISTAKE as it absolutely tipped down and got soaked through,we were a couple of drowned rats lol but there was T&L so its ok and got vids,heading back down tomorrow so hopefully a proper storm,this weekend is the best chance in years to see a good storm please let it happen,I can't bear it in the NSC lol tomorrow could be my ticket out of there,eveything crossed and goodluck all

I'm heading to Clevedon tomorrow too. With the view over the Bristol Channel and the opinions of Ian Fergusson I reckon it could be a decent day.

I hope! Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

See u in the pub AWD lol

Pub?? B'ah, can't see a storm in a pub! Lol. I will be the guy on the rocks or the pier/hill next to the pier with the Camera!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

GFS trying to hammer home the significance of one of perhaps a few CZs:

post-9715-0-58323600-1344116766_thumb.pn

Easy does it now, GFS lol.

I'd say tomorrow's your day, CC. Certainly reason to be optimistic, despite past busts lol.

Ahhh I bet it will turn out like today. West Midlands not seeing much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Got some photos of the thundery activity over Sandhutton today, though not quite as spectacular as the storms that I had in Norwich on the 18th July.

First thundery shower at around 2pm:

post-7-0-00173200-1344121709_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-18459300-1344121751_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-23642800-1344121792_thumb.jpg

A couple of photos from the long sunny spell from 2:30 to 6:30pm, showing cells continuing to move northwards well out to the west:

post-7-0-47462900-1344121838_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-50079700-1344121883_thumb.jpg

And the second thundery outbreak, associated with a rather bigger cluster:

post-7-0-57723500-1344121927_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-80153600-1344121970_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-04901600-1344122014_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-93376500-1344122055_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-33364100-1344122097_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-25179100-1344122149_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-07985200-1344122191_thumb.jpg

And finally, two stills from the one lightning capture that I managed, though it didn't come out very well due to unfavourable light conditions:

post-7-0-83541300-1344122197_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-89384000-1344122200_thumb.jpg

Hoping to get some more good photos to upload over the next two days- the synoptic setup looks favourable enough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yep lol. Would feel more confident living on the plains of Lincolnshire, rather than the rolling green hills of Great Barr. dry.png

Haha. :lol:

Sadly I dont see tomorrow being any better than today, just that if any do crop up they will be slower moving.

Posted

Its a real shame i had such a fail with the camera today. Its looking good for tomorrow in the north west again so il try and improve on today. First really nice funnel cloud and nothing but a phone to take pictures on. To top it of we had almost constant thunder and l lightning to boot. Got a couple of pics if people want to have a look.

Posted

I'm flabbergasted to see reports on the old thread of decent thundery activity in my area. I saw nothing. You honestly couldn't make this up.

Well maybe I heard the odd distant rumble of thunder, but they were so feeble they could just as easily have been planes (in fact one definitely was).

It's clear now that it's not a NW England storm shield causing problems nor a Merseyside storm shield but rather a West Derby storm shield. whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Estofex 15% lightning risk! Do they know something we don't? Yesterday there was loads of lightning across the country and the set up today is very similar except more in the way of convergence zones and slower storm motion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm flabbergasted to see reports on the old thread of decent thundery activity in my area. I saw nothing. You honestly couldn't make this up.

Well maybe I heard the odd distant rumble of thunder, but they were so feeble they could just as easily have been planes (in fact one definitely was).

It's clear now that it's not a NW England storm shield causing problems nor a Merseyside storm shield but rather a West Derby storm shield. whistling.gif

Maybe it's us, AC? Maybe we have a psychokinetic ability to deflect thunderstorms? As always, Elsewhere is the place to be!laugh.png

Posted

Already sferics around the Scottish borders. The shower motion across Northern regions appears to be more SE to NW with the LP centre in a slightly different position to yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Already sferics around the Scottish borders. The shower motion across Northern regions appears to be more SE to NW with the LP centre in a slightly different position to yesterday.

Agree, the low pressure centre is certainly more towards the Cornish coast today looking at the radar, with a long line of showers heading towards us from the South West- fingers crossed!

Posted

Its certain parts of the north west that always do bad thesedays, wigan and surrounding area has an anti thunder shield which i have been saying for ages, yesterday confirmed it more , just look at the lightning map, tons of lightning just north and south, a little to the east , a little to the west , any that tried to come into the wigan sheild got instant death within 20 miles, yes, it can spread its rays out that far !! and its not just bad luck or coincidence as it happens to many times now , its very predictable, t

today WILL be the same, infact it' s just cool and fully overcast now, not what you would say a thundery feeling day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Not sure what to expect today. Plenty of thunder around yesterday but no direct hits. Seems an odd direction for storms to travel today (from SE-NW). Does anyone in the NE have experience of these type of setups?

Posted

Its certain parts of the north west that always do bad thesedays, wigan and surrounding area has an anti thunder shield which i have been saying for ages, yesterday confirmed it more , just look at the lightning map, tons of lightning just north and south, a little to the east , a little to the west , any that tried to come into the wigan sheild got instant death within 20 miles, yes, it can spread its rays out that far !! and its not just bad luck or coincidence as it happens to many times now , its very predictable, t

today WILL be the same, infact it' s just cool and fully overcast now, not what you would say a thundery feeling day.

Same thing happened around where i live, but i was out chasing yesterday. However, looking at the lightning charts I spent the day chasing in that big hole of very little sferics, which is probably why i saw very little.

I wish there was some way of predicting where the best storms would be. Yesterday looked to be the NW of England but it was further south across the Midlands and the northern part of Northern England that got the best. I would try and predict todays best areas but seems similar to yesterday and so the word is unpredictable.

Only thing i can see that may help is a line of wind convergence, which if becomes the focal point for storms could be good for both yourself and for me. However, i just have a gut feeling today that I cannot get rid of that is telling me North and East Yorkshire up towards Newcastle upon Tyne today. Not sure why, its just a feeling.

Polar Thole, a SE to NW flow could favour areas that do well in plume situations... could be this that is making me think of the areas above (entrenched deep into my subconscious somewhere). Keep getting York in my head... maybe i should place myself there...who knows?

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Not sure what to expect today. Plenty of thunder around yesterday but no direct hits. Seems an odd direction for storms to travel today (from SE-NW). Does anyone in the NE have experience of these type of setups?

Expect some 'lively' showers today especially here in the NE. Storm motion often brings in a lot of low cloud from the sea along coastal districts but hopefully the southerly/sou'easterly breeze will keep it offshore. Also expect a 'ell' of a lot of rain as showers will be very slow moving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Thanks both :) Much appreciated!

Posted

Current TAF for Leeds Bradford going for heavy thunderstorm hail from 10am - 8pm.

Of more interest is this TAF for Doncaster airport:

Temporary

from 05 at 11 UTC to 05 at 15 UTC Wind 15 kt from south with gusts up to 25 kt Visibility 3000 m Broken clouds at a height of 1400 ft , Cumulonimbus. heavy thunderstorm rain and heavy thunderstorm small hail or snow pellets

Snow pellets????

Posted

A very early start to today's action with a few strikes across the south and also "the blob" across the

northumberland/borders area which is being driven by a marked convergance zone.