Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Hot Spell Discussion

Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The nights have been very unpleasant if your house is anything but cold! The min temp inside our house with the windows open has been 24.7C today and its already back up to 26.2C.

Mind you, the air con packed in at work 3 weeks ago so Im pretty acclimatised now.

Our living room hangs around 20.5c to about 22.5c. Highest I've ever got it was 24.1c which must come after a warm night then a very sunny morning. By afternoon it cools as sun moves round.

To get a cool house - paint it white, build with thick walls, face it east, be built into a hillside cutting off all sunlight mid afternoon and have poor insulation - voila a house wonderful for warm or hot weather!

Sadly it is located 1000 miles too far north so only those few weeks a year (like now) is it a wonderful place to be. For the other 10 months its a gas guzzling cold missus moaning zone. We are thinking of moving for these exact reasons. Even last night I shut the back door about 10:30pm as outdoor temp fell to 20c which meant so did the living room. Anything less than 21c outdoors the windows & doors remain closed which is annoying as I love fresh air. Time to move it really is!

The office on the other hand is currently 25c with all doors & windows open bringing in farming smells on the stiff wind today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine! High humidity - clear blue skies. Heavy snow.

At least 27 degrees with the Humidity in Leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Still bizarre differences in the communication of this potential hot spell, the BBC temps are 29c on sat then 23c for my area - GFS is 31c on Sunday and I've heard some sources such as local tv/radio say 30c on both days? No heat health watch either despite 30c being recorded on both days?

Posted

Would I be correct in thinking that the front over weeked will move to a certain point that it keeps us in slightly cooler air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes some lovely warm nights with min of 18c last night.

Do feel for those in warm houses unable to sleep but after being too cold in my house for most of the year my sympathy is limited as finally my place is at a perfect temperature with windows open!

Indeed, and Its so perfect for staying outside well into the evening. In fact we have a chimnea and with that burning slowly, its heaven and you could be there all night. I have no sympathy at all for those who arent liking this. We have waited far too long for this and it doesnt usually last long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

4th warmest day of the year so far, 21.4c and rising, aye you can laugh

:lol:

That would be so poor down here but of course Cumbria is far away from here.

Posted

Surely you recorded over 21c on the 10th? I passed near egremont that day and the car thermo was showing 22c

Having said that it does amaze me how cool your part of the coast is (St Bees and Sellafield stations) in comparison to the other parts of the coast even just a bit further north such as Workington.

reached 22.2c under dull cloudy skies after a sunny morning so an unusual day for this summer anyway

Edited by rjd1000

Posted

gas guzzling cold missus moaning zone

I love that description botty!

has the good lady seen your definition?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

gas guzzling cold missus moaning zone

I love that description botty!

has the good lady seen your definition?

Oh yes! She'll never pull the punches when it comes to complaining about being cold - which is a lot of the time in our place! Hence she's hunting for a new place for us that will hopefully be warmer and catch more evening sunlight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Suffering, the air conditioning in the office is giving me a terrible throat!

How anyone can like sitting around all day in sweaty underwear is beyond me!

"end of moan"

blum.gif

Posted

Pfft a grey humid probably sunless weekend this far west, the nails in the coffin just keep on firing :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

. I have no sympathy at all for those who arent liking this.

I'll keep that in mind whenever you are complaining about something (which is almost always..)

Posted

Indeed, and Its so perfect for staying outside well into the evening. In fact we have a chimnea and with that burning slowly, its heaven and you could be there all night. I have no sympathy at all for those who arent liking this. We have waited far too long for this and it doesnt usually last long.

Who's this "we" you claim to opine for?

Posted

Who's this "we" you claim to opine for?

Sorry, I mean the 90% who are enjoying this overall pretty decent weather. Very few ive come across dont like it, infact pretty much all are on here! :lol:

I have loved sitting outside until 10 maybe even 11pm in the evening, with the chimnea burning slowly giving a gentle warmth even though its not neccesary. I can lie on the hammock, listen to music and watch the sunset. Its heaven to me.

Posted

Not one day as warm as 21.4C here all summer, a dismal max of 15.3C today and just one above average day in the past 12. I'm certainly not laughing.

Here are the warmest summer maxes I've recorded since I got my weather station in 2005:

2005: 25.9

2006: 30.4

2007: 25.7

2008: 26.6

2009: 26.8

2010: 23.8

2011: 26.0

2012: 21.0 (so far)

It's evident just how desperately poor this year has been. Although, had the hot spell in June 2011 occurred just 3 days earlier, last year would have been almost as bad as it didn't exceed 21.6C after 3rd June until the late September heatwave when I recorded 23.0C on the 30th.

Dyce has managed 21.9C as a summer maximum. Every summer there has reached at least 22C since records began in the 1940s so another record may be broken if this warm spell fails to deliver.

GFS is predicting 22-23C in NE Scotland this weekend but after what we've had to endure this summer I'll believe it when I see it even though that is still lower than what we would normally expect for the warmest days of August/summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Not one day as warm as 21.4C here all summer, a dismal max of 15.3C today and just one above average day in the past 12. I'm certainly not laughing.

Here are the warmest summer maxes I've recorded since I got my weather station in 2005

2005: 25.9

2006: 30.4

2007: 25.7

2008: 26.6

2009: 26.8

2010: 23.8

2011: 26.0

2012: 21.0 (so far)

It's evident just how desperately poor this year has been. Although, had the hot spell in June 2011 occurred just 3 days earlier, last year would have been almost as bad as it didn't exceed 21.6C after 3rd June until the late September heatwave when I recorded 23.0C

on the 30th.

Dyce has managed 21.9C as a summer maximum. Every summer there has reached

at least 22C since records began in the 1940s so another record may be broken if this warm spell fails to deliver.

GFS is predicting 22-23C in NE Scotland this weekend but after what we've had to endure this summer I'll believe it when I see it even though that is still lower than what we would normally expect for the warmest days ofAugust/summer.

I think Laser Guy may be moving in with you very shortly! :)

Posted

Whilst it won't be "hot" in the NW, 22-25 still looks likely. 22C-23C for coastal areas like Blackpool and 25C for Manchester.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We seem to be able to record 24c here with such ease at the moment. Another day tomorrow when those sort of temperatures look likely.

Posted

We seem to be able to record 24c here with such ease at the moment. Another day tomorrow when those sort of temperatures look likely.

Im suprised to hear you say that, here Ive only recorded 24C three times this entire summer! Only yesterday managed it this month, however it has regularly been 20-23C. In fact, only one day has failed to reach 20C this month and the mean max is 21.9C so far which is very respectable (and 1.5C above the average mean max).

Posted

Average max is 21.9c here too, and only 2 days have not reached 20c.. August will be the warmest summer month for the firs time since.. 2003!?

Posted

Temperatures may be high but the weather is still rubbish, seems to rain every day at some point.

Not here that's for sure, first rain today for over a week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tenerife weather

Not here that's for sure, first rain today for over a week.

I travel about a bit at racecourses, was at Chester sunday 5th when a storm flooded the course abandoning the meeting halfway through, went to Brighton last wednesday it was foggy and raining, the next day it was foggy all day, leicester last sunday it rained, lashed it down here today it seems to follow me around.

Edited by robbie69