Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Hot Spell Discussion

Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

East Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire seem to be the warmest part of the country today and not for the first time this month. A max of 24.4c here which i dont think is that wrong considering Grimsby is showing a max of 24c on weatheronline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Rainfall is 106% of average to the 15th. Slightly above average.

About 150% here and that was from 2 days alone

Posted

Hello, remember me, i suspect most won't though lol, i had to change my name from snowy easterly to snowy easterlies as i messed up my email address so had to re register

anyway, i hope it gets hot this weekend, i doubt i will see 30c but i suspect london probably will

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

But LG the same way you say you dont understand how anyone can walk around at 30C and enjoy it.. I equally cant understand how anyone can enjoy -10C but each to their own.. Everyone has their preference

i like the cold and snow , but i would happily give up all cold and snow for temps of 30c everyday

Edited by Spurry

Posted

East Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire seem to be the warmest part of the country today and not for the first time this month. A max of 24.4c here which i dont think is that wrong considering Grimsby is showing a max of 24c on weatheronline.

I've recorded my 9th consecutive day of 23C or more so quite a summery spell for Doncaster?

Posted

I've recorded my 9th consecutive day of 23C or more so quite a summery spell for Doncaster?

South Yorkshire - the Death Valley of the UK..... when all around are having lots of fun with thunderstorms and floods and hurricane-force winds (insert your favourite dramatic weather type here), we are invariably stuck with mainly dry/sunny spells. It's ridiculous. Just seen a BBC weather forecast where the presenter talked about the upcoming heat for the south,and didn't big it up in any way,just told it as it is without daft descriptions like "glorious" etc, then matter-of-factly said north of the front would be much better for those of us who hate the heat. Wassamatter with them - been reading NW or summat?

Edited by laserguy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

24.5C max here today, with almost unbroken sunshine.

Where's this low pressure & showers everyone's speaking of? If this is what low pressure does to the British weather, then please come and visit more often!

Bone dry today. Loving this month!! :):D

Posted

Where's this low pressure & showers everyone's speaking of?

Apart from a ten-minute sprinkle yesterday, that's what I've been wondering too. The good forecast weather rarely materialises here; but you can rely on mainly dry/sunny spells regardless. It's a sick joke.

Posted

Sorry, I mean the 90% who are enjoying this overall pretty decent weather. Very few ive come across dont like it, infact pretty much all are on here! laugh.png

I have loved sitting outside until 10 maybe even 11pm in the evening, with the chimnea burning slowly giving a gentle warmth even though its not neccesary. I can lie on the hammock, listen to music and watch the sunset. Its heaven to me.

That sounds like heaven to me too. I am liking this summery feeling air, never cold even with a strong wind off the sea yesterday due to it's humidity and it being drawn from down south. This house can get a bit too warm/hot but for some reason I don't seem to have problems sleeping these days even in the warmest night's in recent years.

It's a bit disappointing this plume looks like being an eastern show and just missing me here (possible weak front over us), with it being pushed slightly east. Anywhere east of London or the UK gets some exceptionally high 850hpa temps, but we can't change too much from normal max's here perhaps.. always happens these years and seems we aren't allowed a decent UK wide hot plume.. It may be a bit uncomfortable but I'm a weather enthusiast so want interesting/exciting weather not 'close to average' stuff all the time.

Not only that but the 2nd ridge and brief plume suggested is disappearing on the models too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Strange how the weekend before a bank holiday has been good twice in a row now (remember the May spell) and once again it looks to be turning poorer as we move towards the long weekend.

Still gonna just crack on and have a bbq on Sat to make up for the awful one I had on the last bank hol weekend in the pouring rain then I'll have at least had one proper bbq this year!

Posted

About 150% here and that was from 2 days alone

A mere 20% of average here so far according to Reef about 4 miles from me.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No hot spell here so far but combined with high night temps it's really bringing the average up and if it keeps up it up could well bring the summer overall to average to slightly above average.

Posted

The heat has well and truly arrived in the SE. Top temperature in London today was 29c. 30c tomorrow would seem almost a certainty.

Posted

Max of 27C here today, quite good considering it was mainly overcast until 4-5pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Coolest day of the week here with max of 22c currently 19.2c and pouring it down.

What a shame this weather is likely to be mostly SE as its coincided nicely with a weekend for once!

Posted

NAE has upped the temperatures for Yorkshire again, 25.c now!

post-8968-0-74189400-1345240926_thumb.gi

It's usually the eastern side of England up to about Yorkshire that sees the warmest temperatures so I'm glad to see us joining in on the warm spell, even if it's a good 5.c warmer in the south east.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

The coming 2 days will bring a mini heatwave only to SE England, East Anglia and possibly parts of the east midlands and cs england, with temps perhaps widely breaching the 30 degree mark come Sunday. However, it is going to be a shortlived affair and could easily trigger some nasty downpours as is often the case with southerly plumes. Elsewhere temps are going to be nothing to write home about - slightly above average at best and apart from tomorrow afternoon many places will be plagued by low cloud and possibly torrential rain - I'd rather it be 16 degrees than 23 degrees if all we are going to get is cloud or heavy rain...

This month is reminding me of August 1994, 1997 and 2004, both were very warm but also very wet months with plenty of tropical maritime air thanks to the trough stuck out to our west and strong ridging over the near continent. After a run of preety lacklustre Augusts for warmth, this August has been a significant contrast, indeed it has been far more summery so far than June and July.

Posted

Looks odds on I'm not gonna see 30c broken this year which has happened twice in the 6 years I've been record keeping (see sig). In fact if we don't break 27.6c in this or some spell in September then it will be the coolest yearly max in at least 6 years here.

This August has certainly been much nicer than anything else this summer but really it hasn't been much of a summer overall. Enjoying the generally highish temperatures day & night this month - very usable - although would have been nice to see some 25c+ stuff at least once. Maybe tomorrow will deliver... maybe...

Posted

I have my doubts whether it will better 25C here (for 1st time this year)

Today may be the day if it does.

Last year was similarly lacking in seriously warm days until the very end of September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Interesting that the Meto have issued a heat health watch for parts of South East England ESP Essex! My home county, this heatwave is very localised, there has been other examples of similar local heatwaves in recent years (July 2010, June 2011) but these were more extensive extending to London and other areas of the south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

UKMO MOGREPS probability of exceeding 30c today.

post-12721-0-64814600-1345278554_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Bang on 23.0C with 80% relative humidity. Sun is starting to shine, it's going to be a scorcher. :D

Posted

A lot of blue sky has appeared in the last hour pushing the temperature up to 23c.

Posted

The only problem this far north is the humidity. Its currently 24.1C but the dewpoint is 20.0C, not the most pleasant of feeling days at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

22.5C and very humid but... cloudy! Slow start to the day - need that sun to get to work on the clouds.