Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Hot Spell Discussion

Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

BBC Weather Centre reports a provisional 31.5C in Cambridge - making it the warmest day of the year so far

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 2 - Hot weather Alert and Readiness in one or more regions of England and Wales

Issued at: Saturday 18 August 2012 at 03:57

The probability of heatwave conditions in parts of England and Wales between 1000 on Saturday and 1800 on Sunday is 70%

Some eastern and southern parts of East Anglia are expected to reach 30C today. Night time temperatures will be well above the 15C criteria, more like 18 or 19C quite widely. Then 30C is expected again on Sunday, with the highest temperatures on Sunday likely to be for Essex.

http://www.metoffice.../uk/heathealth/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Hottest UK day of 2012 recorded in Suffolk

Parts of the UK are experiencing the hottest day of 2012 so far, with Cavendish in Suffolk reaching 32.3C, the BBC Weather Centre says.

Cambridge has also seen hot weather, reaching 31.5C on Saturday afternoon.

Its bad enough here with just 24c with a 'humidex' value of 30.9c. I like some warm summer sunshine but personally I wouldn't enjoy being in the SE right now with high humidity like this. It's just irritable.

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Its bad enough here with just 24c with a 'humidex' value of 30.9c. I like some warm summer sunshine but personally I wouldn't enjoy being in the SE right now with high humidity like this. It's just irritable.

Ye they can keep it. It's bad enough here - set off for the coast on me mobike and got exactly 38 miles ( of a planned 90 ) before throwing the towel in and heading back home. Utterly sweat-soaked under the biking garb and thoroughly miserable. Try again next week......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Finally, the sun has fully come out in the last half an hour and the mercury is soaring from a stagnant 22C to now reading 24.8C. Had this happened at midday then a good tanning session would have been in order.

It seems the southwest, no matter what time of year, seems to get a balance of the warmer east and cooler west.

Posted

20C and sunny/showery here in Glasgow. 30C further south!!! What does 30C feel like?! lol

I can't actually remember really lol even though I'm nearly as far south as you get in the UK.

Last time I experienced it was when I went to France in 2008. Since then the highest has been 27-28C in Holland this year and also once in May and July at home, the highest since 2006.. (recent summers have had a lack of very warm/hot days here)

The more notable thing about this August here has been the high min temps rather than maxima. Average min is 13.9C and the lowest temp has been 10.5C where as I have always got at least 1 min below 7C in July/August since starting proper records (October 2007) due to being in a valley and therefore a bit of a frost hollow.

Quite a few 31C's around now on XCweather, and looking around non-oficial sites several Davis VP2's are reporting 32-33C.

Here the temp has just dropped to 22.2C due to some cloud, Today the max was 23.3C but the humidity is the one notable thing, the dew point has been about 20C with humidity about 82%.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

25.4c the max so nice & warm but certainly not hot. A lot of cloud around which has given us just the odd glimmer of sun this afternoon. Certainly could be worse but bit more sun wouldn't go amiss! Gladly the humidity will keep it nice and warm this evening for a bbq. Still wish I could have the 30c+ temps the lucky lot down south are having!

Posted

32.9 in my back garden now very hot with a nice breeze every now and then the sun goes behind a small white cloud. I can't see any storms for us which is a shame as we always miss out on them but still we have got the heat so i am not moaning at all i prefer this to rain lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Today has not been too bad here by the sea, temperature in the mid twenties with a refreshing sea breeze. Oddly the wind has suddenly died out and changed direction which doesn't happen too often here. The temperature is soaring now, must be about 28c at least and climbing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Got to feel sorry for those in the south/east tonight having to endure the 21'c - 25'c temps overnight. Luckily this far north we only have the cloud cover but with a more fresher feel at night. 25'c in high humidity is a killer.

I was out the house this morning at 5am and it was actually warmer outside than in the house! Tonight is suppose to be a tad warmer which will be really uncomfortable especially as the humidity is stupidly high.

Posted

The sunshine has broken through properly here now but it is probably too late to turn much warmer.

The max temp so far was 24.9C so warm but nothing exceptional.

Posted

Hot,humid and a definite excess of photons. Half-dressed numpties all over the place and slowly being asphyxiated by barbecue fumes. Much more of this nonsense and I'm gonna end up in goddamn hospital. Gonna close my eyes and lose myself in a reverie of dark December days to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Max was 25.8 here with sunny spells but quite a lot of cloud around during the middle part of the day. Heading west into Hull there was even a light shower at about 3pm and it didnt properly brighten up there until recently. Grimsby just across the Humber has seen 28c so i cant have been that far away from seeing unbroken sunshine. Unfortunately it appears that over here we have been plagued by cloud from the front which has restricted temperatures into the mid 20s instead of the high 20s.

Posted

Hot,humid and a definite excess of photons. Half-dressed numpties all over the place and slowly being asphyxiated by barbecue fumes. Much more of this nonsense and I'm gonna end up in goddamn hospital. Gonna close my eyes and lose myself in a reverie of dark December days to come.

If it causes you so much upset why not stay indoors, invest in a portable air conditioner and watch some videos through the major heat of the day?

Posted

If it causes you so much upset why not stay indoors, invest in a portable air conditioner and watch some videos through the major heat of the day?

That's pretty much what I'm up to John,as well as dipping into NW now and again and being called out into the cauldron for some triviality by the missus + kid!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I dont like hot weather either, FI but next friday looking like autumn with developing northerly toppler

Posted

Well I don't like hot weather in as much as 30'c is just uncomfortable, as I've said before if it was 30'c in your house in the winter, you'd turn the heat down, right?

But this dude laserguy must have some health problems or something

As much as I dislike the intense heat of today, it's been a cracking day and it's lovely to sit outside now with a beer watching the sprinkler

I'd just rather our summers stuck at 24'c so we can still go about our day, as I've been painting all day and it's been tiring

For the record, currently 27'c

Budweiser is around 5'c

Edited by nicklon1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The sun came out in Sandhutton this afternoon, though nothing like as hot as further southeast, a max of 24.1C. Despite the breeze it still felt pretty warm in the sunshine. Tomorrow may be similarly warm, although the chance of thunderstorms (something that I was looking forward to tomorrow evening) has eased off considerably on the latest GFS run.

It does look like a rather warm and sticky night is in store towards the SE with minima widely around 18-21C. Some posts have talked of minima of 21-25C, which sounds about right for central London which often has appreciably higher minima than elsewhere during summer hot interludes, though I don't think many other places will hold up within that range.

As for my stance on the heat, I'm sure that if I was in Norwich (where it got to 31C today, but dew points were down at 15-17C, a combination that I can normally cope alright with) I would be welcoming this heatwave, especially considering that it isn't going to last long. In central London it might be a different story.

Posted

Warmest day of the summer here, by far, with a max of 23.2C but not quite warmest of the year which remains 23.4C on 26th May.

The day started grey but the sun finally broke through about 11am though the best of the weather was not until evening with the max reached just after 5:30pm. Been sat in the garden all evening but come in now as the sun has gone and temp is down to 17.9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I was wondering if anyone knew the record high for an overnight low temp ?

I remember reading a while ago that it was around 24C at Jersey Airport. I would have thought that London may have taken the record during the Aug 2003 heatwave.

Posted

I was wondering if anyone knew the record high for an overnight low temp ?

I remember reading a while ago that it was around 24C at Jersey Airport. I would have thought that London may have taken the record during the Aug 2003 heatwave.

Brighton once had a record minimum of 24C - I don't know the date though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
But this dude laserguy must have some health problems or something

Maybe not, I don't have health problems but I dislike most temperatures above 15C, single digits is better, it's even more unbearable if the humidity is high too. Bring on an early but cool Autumn and early snows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Maybe not, I don't have health problems but I dislike most temperatures above 15C, single digits is better, it's even more unbearable if the humidity is high too. Bring on an early but cool Autumn and early snows

If it carries-on like this for much longer, a lot more folk'll be developing health problems - including me!