Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Hot Spell Discussion

Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Only 29c today so far due to a 20min thunderstorm during the day. Warming up now come on 30c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Made it to 25.9c today under a late afternoon sunny period. Currently dropping off 24c so far. No sign of rain that has affected everywhere north & west of here. Felt lucky to be probably the furthest north & west you can go and still get respectable weather out of this weekend,

My living room made it to the dizzy heights of 24c today - one of the warmest temps I've seen it at in the 4 years living here. Wonderful it is with all windows open and no chill in the air still!

Posted

Max of 30.6C here today, which officially I believe is the highest temperature recorded today in the UK.

Posted

The warm 'blip' continues with another 25C+ today.

I worked there for a couple of months some years ago - and had to wear a suit much of the time. I actually got used to it surprisingly quickly - but did, of course, have the advantage of air-conditioning whenever I was indoors. Did you see the famous 'no durian fruit' signs on the underground there? If you've ever smelt one at close range you'll know why!

indeed and smelt one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

cray.gif

Ha ha, but we were expected to get to 32c and the midday thunderstorm stopped the sunshine for an hour at the warmest part of the day.

Did you see the famous 'no durian fruit' signs on the underground there? If you've ever smelt one at close range you'll know why!

They are very tasty though, like a creamy custard but with the fragrant overtones of off onions or cabbage!

Regarding the hot spell, the likelihood is that we have now had the warmest weather of the year and will drift into Autumn. This will leave many parts of northwest England with the unusual feature of the highest maximum temperatures occurring outside of summer (June-August) for the past two years, and some places such as Keswick and St. Bees Head in Cumbria will have the dubious honour of three consecutive years.

Posted

another 25C+ day, the 9th this month with 12 of over 24C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well after a manky drizzly morning its turned sunny and pleasant with a max of 23c. Think many would prefer today over either weekend day due to lower humidity and more sunshine. Feels somewhat wrong posting in a thread with word 'hot' in it as it certainly isn't hot!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Amazing only once passed 24C once this month. Most of the time low twenties.

Posted

Amazing only once passed 24C once this month. Most of the time low twenties.

It has been pretty similar here aswell, just two days over 24C with a high max of 24.9C, but plenty of days around the 22C mark meaning the mean max is 22.1C so far.

Today eventually brightened up and reached 22.1C, so fairly respectable for this point in August.