Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ba Flight Sale

boomerang

Posted

Hi Gail

Yes sorry I did get in contact with him the other day, was expecting to meet him at the footy on Sunday but the snow wiped that out good and proper. Had a lengthy phonecall with him and the problem is the Insurance jargon with overseas inhabitants, he did go all technical talking about claims etc and not being able to something or other ? He lost me after 5 minutes tbh.

Long and short of it was he could do Uk Residents only on his policies. Have you tried Dogtag at all ?

This type of insurance btw is a relative banker for the Insurance companies, no storm chaser has come a cropper since 1972 (41 years) so should be easy to get insurance or so you would have thought!

Let me now how you get on.

Sorry I could not be more help,

My last throw of the dice could be by asking one of my facebook friends who is from Oz and who chases every year, I am sure he will let me know who he uses for Insurance for the Storm Chases. Want me to send him a message ??

Posted

Thanks for that Paul, have been monitoring the snow over there and am so jealous. It never snowed like it has in the past few years when I was living there.

I had looked at Dogtag but they also only cover UK residents.

If you could contact your friend here in Oz that would be great. I can get normal travel insurance for my trip to the US as I will be travelling for 5 weeks in total, but I guess they probably wouldn't cover an event if they found out I was actively participating in a "dangerous" activity.

Thanks

Gail

Edited due to puppy jumping on keyboard!

Edited by CycloneGail

Posted

Hi Gail

Having spoken to quite a few Austalian guys that go to Tornado Alley to chase it seems they just get the standard Insurance cover which includes injury etc or hospital visits, nothing fancy etc.

One of the girls has said if you want to chat to her about it on facebook she is willing to talk you through it.

Cheers

Paul S

Posted

Thanks for that Paul, .... but I guess they probably wouldn't cover an event if they found out I was actively participating in a "dangerous" activity.

Thanks

Gail

Gail, since when are you participating in a"dangerous" activity?

Your on holiday, right for the rest of the time, so your intent is to see more of America.

As Paul has said it's safe, (especially when I am around the "T's" avoids us like the plague. SO the bottom line make sure you're on the same tour as me, you'll be as safe as houses.

As Paul did note, insurers are a cagey bunch, I know I work in insurance, and a high risk, low frequency event is a good money earner for those prepared to go for it!

Posted

Thanks Paul for all your help. It would be great to chat with another Aussie chaser!

I'm just starting to look at flights at the moment as my leave approval came through this week, and will definitely be getting standard insurance for the US and also for the cruise I'm doing immediately after to the Bahamas (just in case there's another Costa Concordia incident LOL).

Dorset I know its just perceived "danger"! but it seems that the general public just don't understand how some of us like to get our kicks!!

Posted

I't it seems that the general public just don't understand how some of us like to get our kicks!!

....cruise I'm doing immediately after to the Bahamas.....

Sounds dangerous to merofl.gif

Posted

Well my flights are now booked, so bring on Tour 5!!

Gail are you hoping to see a lot of the USA during tour 5?

My reason for asking is I'll be on it.

Ask the Sherminator what that meansmega_shok.gif

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

anyone going on tour 3 on the 12.25pm flight from lhr?

Posted

anyone going on tour 3 on the 12.25pm flight from lhr?

I suspect you're on your own, I think everybody has jumped ship and signed up for tour 2 (not sure why, maybe the weather is worse then!)

I heard a rumour that a school bus had been hired, as it'll be a lot cheaper than the normal motors.

I also heard that the Sherminator wont be running of into the field for a leak this year, maybe he's frightened of being botten bitten by snakes this time around...unless of course he takes Tom's chicken with him.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Flights booked

18th May 15:00 flight from heathrow

Posted

well what i thought was BA is AA operated.............BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Land at 19:10 Dallas time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

So, A. you will need to book the hotel if you have not already done so. B. we will be there at the hotel and one of us may be able to assist with hotel free bus to collect you from the airport.

Tom

Posted

Tom.

A) I have booked hotel!

B) if your good self or someone else is there an assist with free bus would be magic!

Gee