Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Idea What This Is?

Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Thanks knocker.

The NHM has got back to me and suggests it looks like Jasper or glass cullet chunk - I really don't think its glass cullet since I have seen that before. Either way the guy said both are not usually found in Shropshire so would have transported here by man or nature. He said there isn't many minerals with such a deep red colour.

Man I love not knowing for sure! Adds to the intreague of the item! I still stand by Jasper or Carnelian!

Posted

Thanks knocker.

The NHM has got back to me and suggests it looks like Jasper or glass cullet chunk - I really don't think its glass cullet since I have seen that before. Either way the guy said both are not usually found in Shropshire so would have transported here by man or nature. He said there isn't many minerals with such a deep red colour.

Man I love not knowing for sure! Adds to the intreague of the item! I still stand by Jasper or Carnelian!

Cheers Kain. I had a look through a couple of hundred photos on Mindat of Jasper and didn't find anything close So I'd settle for Carnelian but this from a mining geologist of 30 years experience from the other site. I might be inclined to take his opinion.

Looks like jasperoidal silica. Basically chalcedonic quartz with micro-inclusions of iron oxides (both haematite and other gel oxides).
Edited by knocker

Posted

It certainly looks like one of the quartz chalcedony group (Agate, carnelian, jasper etc.) Another outside possibility is pyrope garnet. This from a local source, Ruby Bay at Elie in Fife.

garnet1.jpg

Posted
It is jasperoid NOT jasper. Jasper would be opaque and have a different texture. Both are chalcedonic gel silicas but this sample is definitely jasperoidal silica.

Definitely NOT haematite.

• 2 weeks later...