Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Ground And Air Frost Of The Season Your Predictions And Records

Posted

Unlikely there will be a frost here, but looking around wunderground there do seem to a few very low readings around the Sheffield area. It will be interesting to see how cold it gets in Northern England, come tomorrow morning.

Just finished me night shift - a courier turned up around 0530, grumbling that he had to scrape ice off his windscreen....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Not sure what the temperature fell to here,but had to scrape ice off my rear window on the car this morning and the roof was white over.Often the case as we live in a valley!!.Winter here we come!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Didnt get cold enough for frost where i am. East Ayrshire. Bt certainly sub 5 deg. Weather man jst said Tulloch got to -2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not sure what the temperature fell to here,but had to scrape ice off my rear window on the car this morning and the roof was white over.Often the case as we live in a valley!!.Winter here we come!!

ice, gosh very mild here with 8.3C minimum, and not that far from you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

ice, gosh very mild here with 8.3C minimum, and not that far from you

That's what living in a valley next to a brook does for you.I'm at work in Derby now and the minimum temp here was around 6-7 degrees,only 6 miles down the road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Reading University recorded a minimum of 5.4, not quite reaching the 30-year low of 5.1. We had a minimum of 6.9 here in the town centre and Benson, 12 miles away, showed 2.7 at 0500.

Not far from Benson and a bit more rural but not up early enough to see if any ice on car. Very clear skies and of course almost a full moon.

Isn't there a website that gives mins.

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Not far from Benson and a bit more rural but not up early enough to see if any ice on car. Very clear skies and of course almost a full moon.

Isn't there a website that gives mins.

yes=Wx Online min and grass min values, coldest to warmest, or alphabetically

my lowest air min here= 4.9C, since 17 May

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Just an update on last nights low temperature, my official thermometer in the screen registered a minimum of 2.5c, the grass minimum was 0.8c so just missed a ground frost here. A record screen low for August, the previous lowest was 3.5c in 2003.

Posted

courtesy of Wx Online the values below are the lowest air temperatures they are showing this morning

Stations: 165 Temp. Tulloch Bridge (236 m) -2.0 °C Eskdalemuir (242 m) -1.0 °C Loch Glascarnoch (264 m) -1.0 °C Redesdale Camp (212 m) -1.0 °C Aviemore (228 m) -1.0 °C

Posted

for grass min's then the link below shows over 2 dozen recorded with Benson and Farnborough the most southerly

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=tminboden&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1346405400&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&UD=1

Posted

Just 4'c it hit in Buxton overnight, wasn't really expecting to open the curtain to see a ground-frost like we get in mid-winter time, but the dinural effects can be felt in the house from the lower temp as in the shade it's barely making a recovery whilst in the sun temps have hit 12'c and climbing.

Autumn definitely feels like it's already there.

Posted

Most southerly is actually Boscombe Down.

I stand corrected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Dipped below 2'C here, higher and more inland parts of the city no doubt dipped below freezing - a frost too, which is pretty much unheard of for August. Much of Inverness-shire saw temps of -2'C or thereabouts, an usual August night! Was driving up last night from the central belt and all the hills and mountains were visible in the strong moonlight, patches of sudden thick fog and a real stillness to the night, winter on its way! :)

Posted

The 32 year August record minimum here is 6.1C set in 1999, so It'll be a long time until we get anywhere near an air frost at this site, but we dipped to 6.3C which is still notably cold.

It was quite windy all night though this far east, so I think if it was a bit calmer than 5C might have been possible.

Posted

Went down to 4.0C here - the coldest August min by far in the 8 years I've been recording. Previous lowest was only 5.4C (in 2005 and 2007).

2.3C at Dyce which was the lowest there in August since 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Down to 4c here too. Just north of the city in Auchterhouse got down to 1.1c. My mums in Aberfeldy, Perthshire got down to -1C. Coldest August night I can remember there. I certainly can't recall an air frost there in August before.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Air frost in August must be possible here, 2c last night and 1c in 2010, it's only a matter of time..

Posted

Quite pleased I started this thread last night given just how cold many places got too- definately a major surprise for many. So before autumn has become a number of places in the north have managed a ground frost already which is exceptionally early for the season, we don't normally see such temps until late september.

Not sure how cold it got too here, suspect 2-3 degree range with a light patchy frost.

Tonight is a complete contrast, its quite muggy with very low cloud dark red skies and patchy drizzle. This morning though was a sharp reminder autumn is on its way, and it felt like that first autumnal morning of the year that we don't usually experience until late September.