Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion

The watcher

Posted

Some really intense showers in Dublin this morning, totalling over the 100mm mark for this event now. Rivers Tolka and Liffey are bloody high. Please God we get a few hours dryness at least to allow levels drop.

Posted

Right folks lets have a wee game. After a cracking start to Autumn lets all have a guess at when we will see our first snow. Here in Derry we already have had our first frost last Saturday. I reckon we will see our first snow falling around the 23rd November. Have a sneaky feeling that it will be early this year. I've been reading the winter thread allot and things seem to be going in the right direction. Something feels different this year and as quite a few on the other threads are doing, i to am going to go with my gut feeling this year!

december 01st

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Didn't Derry, Donegal and Tyrone see some snow last October? I'll try to get the link but I remember it was one of the straws Madden clutched at to prove his incorrect October forecast. biggrin.png

Snow is definitely possible in October, my earliest memory (when I was about 3/4 years old) in late 1980's was of lighting indoor fireworks whilst large snowflakes pelted down outside. If I remember correctly, the fireworks were little mr and mrs men that had growing arms and stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Right folks lets have a wee game. After a cracking start to Autumn lets all have a guess at when we will see our first snow. Here in Derry we already have had our first frost last Saturday. I reckon we will see our first snow falling around the 23rd November. Have a sneaky feeling that it will be early this year. I've been reading the winter thread allot and things seem to be going in the right direction. Something feels different this year and as quite a few on the other threads are doing, i to am going to go with my gut feeling this year!

A few questions on the game.

Are we counting sleet? And official or local reports?

Cheers

Posted

It should be simple enough to know if a local report is truthful, we will see that with looking at uppers, freezing level, precipitation and dew points. We all know however that Iam gonna win. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I'll go with November 18th then!

Posted

November 7th.. And it will be easy to verify, as it will be a country wide event, with several inches falling... Lasting through until February with feet and feet of snow!!!

Posted

So, whats the consensus about this winter then...do they think it will be mild or wild? Usually theres a lot of speculation and hype by this stage on NW but I havent seen it yet (or maybe im looking in the wrong place?!) Has James Madden predicted -35c blizzards in October - May or has he had fled with his tail between his legs after last winter's fiasco??

Posted

Lots of hints that late Autumn could be a northerly blocked type pattern anyway. Of course, we will have to wait and see!

Posted

Heheh this may surprise some of you..but this year I am going over to the dark side....Ive always hated the cold, always loved the heat. But this year I hope we have -10 snow blizzards and cold hard frosts!! Bring on the winter!!!

(reason being is that "a green winter brings a fat churchyard" ie a mild winter encourages bugs, viruses and bacteria to grow, thrive and mutate causing a lot of people a lot of sickness and misery!)

Posted

The winter 2012/2013 thread in General Weather Discussion is currently the hiding place (or posting) for all the Winter nuts. I currently see Netweather as a Cyber Squirrel, it collects plenty of nuts for the winter season. Myself included (albeit a hard and musty nut).

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Not counting sleet and local reports will do fine.good.gif

i will go for nov 28th.

Posted

I will meander through the pages tommorow and do out a list of the entries. Been a nice day today and relatively mild, around 14/15c. No signs of the elusive wintry potential yet. I'm off to have a few beers now and will resume tommorow (on netweather, not the beer). Have a good Saturday all.

Posted

Good idea Watcher! I am also having a few cold ones! If only we could just skip October and just go straight to November! Addicted to Net Weather from the start of November isn't good for my health!!

Posted

Anyone bought oil recently, its bloody dearnea.gif

Last time I bought oil was June (cos some bu***r stole oil from the house).

Might need to get some more soon but not happy about buying a fill up based on the theft.

Anyone had this happen? Its got a real popular pass time amoung the scum of our country.

Oh! I would also punt for last week in November / First week of December for the wintry whiteness!

2012/13 will be what it will be. Gut instincts seem to be what we should be following. If its another cold one then that will firm in my mind that we may now be in a cycle of colder winters.

Lets sit back and enjoy the bumpy, prozac filled ride!!!!

drinks.gifclapping.gifrofl.giftease.gifcray.gifdiablo.gifhelp.gifgood.gifpleasantry.giffriends.gifspiteful.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Another bleedin' win for Kilkenny! Brian Cody must be sick of it at this stage. rofl.gif

Anyway, a fairly contrasting day all in all. Very wet and miserable this morning, but much nicer in the afternoon. Fairly autumnal IMO. I does look as if, provided that a southerly airflow does get established this weekend, Ireland, Wales and Western Scotland should benefit the most. For a change. blum.gif

Posted

Okay, in order of earliest-latest:

The Watcher: Nov 2nd

BIG LAD: Nov 5th

Rocheydub: Nov 7th

BFTV: Nov 18th

Pomeroy: Nov 25th

Sundog: Nov 28th

Baltic Regi..: Nov 26th - Dec 2nd??? (need to pick an exact day)

GeoffW: Dec 1st

General consensus is for an early snowfall (ie pre winter). I hope we all don't end up wrong.

Posted

Last time I bought oil was June (cos some bu***r stole oil from the house).

Might need to get some more soon but not happy about buying a fill up based on the theft.

Anyone had this happen? Its got a real popular pass time amoung the scum of our country.

Oh! I would also punt for last week in November / First week of December for the wintry whiteness!

2012/13 will be what it will be. Gut instincts seem to be what we should be following. If its another cold one then that will firm in my mind that we may now be in a cycle of colder winters.

Lets sit back and enjoy the bumpy, prozac filled ride!!!!

drinks.gifclapping.gifrofl.giftease.gifcray.gifdiablo.gifhelp.gifgood.gifpleasantry.giffriends.gifspiteful.gif

Baltic one year we had a fill from maxol and when we went to switch it on, there was nothing there! We called them and they cried "oh your tank has been siphoned!". But we were pretty certain this hadnt happened as the boiler and tank were both locked, and for the short period that the tank was unlocked to allow the delivery, our neighbours would have definitely seen the culprit.

We had to get another fill, and Maxol wanted to charge us double. We insisted there had been a mistake, they insisted we were wrong. It nearly ended up going to court. In the end they admited that the day of our original delivery, a replacement driver had been on duty and had "Delivered it to the wrong house"....( in other words delivered it into his own tank at home....) Needless to say, we never ordered from them again.

So, just be aware. It may have been theft, but are you totally sure?