Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion

The watcher

Posted

overnight low here of 1.5c but friend said there was quite a ground frost. anyone know what kind of air temp will give a ground frost?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

overnight low here of 1.5c but friend said there was quite a ground frost. anyone know what kind of air temp will give a ground frost?

hi biglad, I think a temp of 4c or lower can result in a ground frost depending on conditions.

hope this helps.

one of the more seasoned members would know if you ask one of them.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Saw some frosts over these past few nights, temperatures have been down to freezing in parts. I just hope all this cold weather isn't wasted on October and saved for later on when its can be more useful. :)

Posted

Grey, murky, cool and miserable. drizzle on and off all day!

Posted

Grey, murky, cool and miserable. drizzle on and off all day!

its like were in two different countries rochey.

Posted

its like were in two different countries rochey.

Indeed it is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

A South North split in Ireland today with that front down to the South and High pressure still holding on in the North.

Posted

Was waiting for some more knowledgable posters to answer GeoffW...

I don't believe we have any body of water inland big enough to create streamers except in exceptional circumstances, barring maybe the Shannon river... I do know we get streamers off the surrounding seas though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

An absolutely rubbish day here today, rain non stop until about half an hour ago. It seems the North of the country has escaped bone dry. :(

Posted

Some people on that winter thread would need to get a grip of themselves! Enjoyed reading it over the past few weeks but it seems the little kill joys are starting to come out from hibernation and throwing up stupid little comments! Still roughly 2 months to go until winter starts but some people are thinking its over before it has even started!

Posted

Was waiting for some more knowledgable posters to answer GeoffW...

I don't believe we have any body of water inland big enough to create streamers except in exceptional circumstances, barring maybe the Shannon river... I do know we get streamers off the surrounding seas though.

We do yes, off the surrounding seas and sometimes off Lough Neagh. We had a streamer here in Winter 2010 from the SSE wind direction, giving some decent heavy snow shwoers (some with thunder) to Dublin and Eastern areas of Ireland (Down, Dublin, Antrim, etc).

Don't think there is a prize for the "first snowfall" competition, Ronan will be held responsible though, it was his idea. good.gif (hides).

What's the prize Ronan???rofl.gif

Edited by The watcher

Posted

We do yes, off the surrounding seas and sometimes off Lough Neagh. We had a streamer here in Winter 2010 from the SSE wind direction, giving some decent heavy snow shwoers (some with thunder) to Dublin and Eastern areas of Ireland (Down, Dublin, Antrim, etc).

Don't think there is a prize for the "first snowfall" competition, Ronan will be held eligible though, it was his idea. good.gif (hides).

What's the prize Ronan???rofl.gif

Forgot about Lough Neagh... Suppose only that and Shannon would be big enough to generate streamers off inland waterways then??

I watched those streamers develop on the radar that time. The following week, we missed out as we were in the isle of man shadow that prevented streamers developing...

Posted

Forgot about Lough Neagh... Suppose only that and Shannon would be big enough to generate streamers off inland waterways then??

I watched those streamers develop on the radar that time. The following week, we missed out as we were in the isle of man shadow that prevented streamers developing...

Shannon would need them from a certain direction and only in extreme cases. I've seen Lough Neagh help showers that were heading NE gain strength and pickup extra moisture, also seen the odd light shower develop sometimes in winter around Neagh's edges, but nothing of the sort that would bring extreme snowfall.

A streamer is alot more common over seas than many would imagine, for example, a cold NWesterly produces quite alot of precipitation around NW coasts in winter, this is aided by the warmer sea and is not too dissimilar to having a streamer like we did in the East. Although true streamers are alot more localised and caused by colder uppers than what we will usually see during a NW - Polar Maritime airmass. Length of sea track, -10 uppers and below, humidity and wind strength and streams are all factors that contribute to a streamers strength and locations.

Similar to the lake effect in areas of the US.

lakes-effect-ok2.jpg

You could imagine the Cold air in an Easterly travelling over the UK mainland, heading over the Irish Sea (*much like the picture) and producing snow showers (mainly light) for Eastern Ireland. Now, because in 2010 the track of the cold air was longer (ie from the SSE/SE) after the mainland, it had alot more time to develop into substantial showers/trains that produced towering cumulonimbus on some occasions.

Posted

I thought the most potent streamer I observed was from the NE'ly that year. A long draw of moisture (IMBY perspective) gave sustained snow on the east coast. It was gas watching how they just got intensive enough about 2 miles off shore on the radar... Me sweating buckets of hope! :-)

Sure look it, we can talk about it as it happens again this winter!!!

I thought the most potent streamer I observed was from the NE'ly that year. A long draw of moisture (IMBY perspective) gave sustained snow on the east coast. It was gas watching how they just got intensive enough about 2 miles off shore on the radar... Me sweating buckets of hope! :-)

Sure look it, we can talk about it as it happens again this winter!!!

Posted

My one was from the SE....although I do remember Dublin getting them from the NE aswell.

Posted

a brilliant sunny autumn day here and pleasantly mild too.

clear and cool now with starry skies, probably a touch of ground frost by morning.

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Hi stormforce hope you are keeping well.

Certainly a more traditional feel to autumn this year so far,just the way i like it. A nice clear night here. Temp 6c.

Posted

Hi stormforce hope you are keeping well.

Certainly a more traditional feel to autumn this year so far,just the way i like it. A nice clear night here. Temp 6c.

how are ya sundog? hope your back for the autumn and winter.

I'm keeping fine, really enjoy this brilliant autumn weather this week, sunny and mild by day and cold and clear by night, very seasonal.

bit of ramping going on about this upcoming winter with regards to cold and snow, things getting pretty exciting.

Posted

Looking ahead to the winter we have quite a few conflicting forecasts early on, some going for an early cold winter with Northern Blocking most likely Late October through to November and early December. Others going for an average - above average December. We also have the crazy thoughts of "he who must not be named" going for a mini ice age (again) although subject to change.

I was contemplating the thoughts on what the ice melt will do to effect the weather patterns for our area and, when I think about it, we only need look back to 2007 to see what recent effects large ice melt has had, infact, quite a few years in the 00's had record ice melt. That brings me to the conclusion that the effects aren't substantial in that varying synoptics have occured during each of the years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

how are ya sundog? hope your back for the autumn and winter.

I'm keeping fine, really enjoy this brilliant autumn weather this week, sunny and mild by day and cold and clear by night, very seasonal.

bit of ramping going on about this upcoming winter with regards to cold and snow, things getting pretty exciting.

Im keeping well myself thanks,my first full year of fatherhood,this year seems to have flown by.

Things seem to be looking good at this early stage anyway regarding winter,well whatever way this winter ends up it cant surely be as bad as last year for starters.

Cloudy dull day here today with some mostly light rain at times from mid afternoon. Max temp 13.3c,last nights low 5.0c.