Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted

At Glencoe Ski Centre atm, gusts to 82mph recorded at the 2nd bottom tower of the Access Chair level with the top of the carpark. Movement on the lift line suggested that was slightly more sheltered than at the cafe and further down the road onto the moor given the wind direction.

The A82 was closed most of the evening due to an array of overturned vehicles on Rannoch Moor. A couple of motorcyclists where blown clean off the road and at one point there was concern the gable end of the base cafe was going to go! Can still see the flashing lights of recovery crews working a bit South of the ski area access road at time of writing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yellow or Amber for 100mph winds would make perfect sense, probably not issued due to localised gusts not impacting areas with higher density of population. i.e Central Belt as a whole.

Looking out towards the final week of September the NH view shows the colder air pooling around the pole with increasing frequency. A Mid Atlantic ridge in play, more meridional flow and of course the UK gets the pleasure of a trough settling in with the colder air dragging down from the North with it

post-7292-0-72929900-1347606199_thumb.gi

Pretty zonal on the way there UKMO Jet profile looking flat out to 20th.

post-7292-0-19073400-1347606395_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Windy out this morning with a few showers just making it this far but good sunny spells too, although the sun's lower now and has much less warming effect than a month ago. Looks like we'll be taking the last few ripe toms this weekend, and the runners are half shredded again.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not a bad day here as the winds died down. A max of 16.8c with just the odd shower.

Talking of winds has anyone else been checking the development of super typhoon Sanba?. Now that is some storm.

Posted

Talking of winds has anyone else been checking the development of super typhoon Sanba?. Now that is some storm.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/violent-super-typhoon-sanba-threatens-okinawa-south-korea/2012/09/14/358f2372-fe8c-11e1-8adc-499661afe377_blog.html shok.gif

Very windy start with fair amounts of black sky rolling through, nice afternoon and evening albeit it chilly. Scouts and Cubs of for a 10 miles hike the morn, thankfully the weather being kind for a change.

It wasn't a bad looking day today, from the inside of the car. Quite blustery all the way up to Kilmacolm and back, but only a few spots of rain. Hopefully some interesting weather will start soon, fingers crossed for a cracking autumn and winter :)

Posted

Glorious start to the day here, nice and bright.

Wish I was off to Leuchars to watch a

rip the sky up, instead off to a wedding - Joy (Free Dinner ) :)

Posted

Reverse psychology works! Glorious sunshine and blue skies now here and 16.1C ( and rising)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Reverse psychology works! Glorious sunshine and blue skies now here and 16.1C ( and rising)

Aye, whit the f3cks's goin on?

It's like sunny and quite warm outside.

Jeez, Mrs SS will be back soon and have me out in the garden daein stuff.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well we had our first snow last week on the mountains. I just love Autumn particularly at the end of September when the leaves turn golden and the crisp north winds nip at your ears. It's the prospect of a glorious winter which makes October my favourite month.clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well we had our first snow last week on the mountains. I just love Autumn particularly at the end of September when the leaves turn golden and the crisp north winds nip at your ears. It's the prospect of a glorious winter which makes October my favourite month.clapping.gif

Perhaps you may get your wish? Latest tweet from Joe B..."UK beware - a heck of a winter in prospect. Sea temeratures reflect what is going on around Alaska: Not sure about this chart. Perhaps someone could explain? ie: in what way could those warm sea temps affect us? I am thinking cold air dragged down over a warm sea, but I could be way off base!

post-1989-0-43865500-1347714463_thumb.jp

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Perhaps you may get your wish? Latest tweet from Joe B..."UK beware - a heck of a winter in prospect. Sea temeratures reflect what is going on around Alaska: Not sure about this chart. Perhaps someone could explain? ie: in what way could those warm sea temps affect us? I am thinking cold air dragged down over a warm sea, but I could be way off base!

No expert either but appears sea temperatures(negative values may be reading this wrong on the scale as it is so tiny) are below average around and to the north of the UK weaker Gulf Stream ? and higher (positive values)to the east of Canada, weaker Labrador Current? Direct northerlies or easterlies here would not be modified much and would be colder than average.

We need some expert help here

We certainly had a cool late spring and early summer. Feels strange right now not picking plums and apples as there are none due to no insects to pollinate blossom and frosts during blossom time. Such a dearth of fruit I have not seen in almost 50 years here .

A great autumn harvest day here strong west wind blue skies and sun currently 17.7c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Nice enough day here. 18C with some sun, but the wind howled through the woods at Scout camp, but has now eased a little. Looking a wee bit darker oot west, so enjoy what sun is left.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, whit the f3cks's goin on?

It's like sunny and quite warm outside.

Jeez, Mrs SS will be back soon and have me out in the garden daein stuff.

Aye, ye were right SS. Chauffeur Mrs SS and mother in Law SS tae Dobbies. Push the trolly around, pay for it all wi yer ain cash, carry it all tae the car, then plant all 200 odd bulbs and assorted perrenials yersel, including getting intae trouble fir no daein it right.

Should have snuck oot tae the pub before they came back.

Grey here now. Don't care as it's beer time.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Warm & breezy here too although nasty dose of what seems to get called 'man-flu' has kept me a-bed most of the day.

Hardly surprising the sea temps anomolies are a bit high - there fack all ice left; so where our Joe B gets his epic winter prediction from, facknose. Don't call me facknose! I'll call you facknose if I facking <poot> want.

SS, enjoy the beer, I'm back ter bed!

Weather looks like it's going to be unsettled for a while to come, will need to get used to looking at charts again as I haven't done much chart viewing for a long while. I will also need to get used to the fact that I don't live in the west any more, my little brain hasn't made the switch in terms of weather yet :lol: I still automatically look at the METAR and the IPS Meteostar for Glasgow Airport if I want quick weather catch-up, it's now a hundred miles away and nae use to man nor swine.

I hope I'm the first person to look at a swirl of cloud to our north and say those words..."it's a p**** l**" :rofl:

Posted

Breezy, chilly and Grey.. about sums up today so far !

Some crepuscular rays from Loch Venachar yesterday at dusk. Beautiful.

Particularly enjoyed seeing a pilot, who after the wedding ceremony who flew in over the length of the loch landed then took off from the water into the sunset and the hills.. What a way to go for a Saturday evening.

post-7292-0-39608800-1347791532_thumb.jp

Posted

Couple of Scottish funnies around the Interweb this morning..

First a nice black and white shot...

post-7292-0-55709600-1347797017_thumb.jp

Second one I can see being used as a descriptor for forthcoming days of weather as an alternative to Pish.. am sure it's a lovely place really..

post-7292-0-15348600-1347797013_thumb.jp

Edit - helps if they are the right way roond !

Edited by lorenzo