Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Turned Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted

18c is the 'compromise temperature', Botty, between myself and dear Mrs Terminal who seems to think that any indoor temperature below about 25c is' freezing'

The ma-in-law weighs about five stones and is permanently cold, presumably from a lack of natural cladding. I've seen her exhibit a shiver in the early evening of a 32C July day and exclaim that it's getting a bit nippy,before scuttling off to fiddle with the thermostat. It's ridiculous and there's all the signs of my missus going the same way. Our heating will not go on until November earliest,so long as I'm around. When the missus chelps about being cold I'll chuck her a cardigan and tell her to get some bread an' taties down her neck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

I sympathise with you. I have the same problem at work here where half the women are on perma-diets because they are too lazy to ever do any exercise. As a result the aircon is turned off at every opportunity because they wont eat or get dressed properly for work in the morning.

The heating is off at my house until November. I need a daytime temperature of below 12 centigrade outside sustained for a few days before the temperature indoors falls below 16C which is my thermostat setting.. The aircon at home is set to kick in when temperature indoors rises above 18C but only at night and during the daytime only at weekends if I am indoors.

Edited by Village

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

haven't put the main heating on yet but had to put the gasfire on and with a newborn baby it won't be long before the main heating comes on. How r the moddles looking for any cold spell guys? Because i'm unable to c them due to limited eyesight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I sympathise with you. I have the same problem at work here where half the women are on perma-diets because they are too lazy to ever do any exercise. As a result the aircon is turned off at every opportunity because they wont eat or get dressed properly for work in the morning.

Surely if air con is required then they are doing the correct thing by dressing to the temperature of the office. Why have to wear jumpers indoors when its 25c outdoors?!

The heating is off at my house until November. I need a daytime temperature of below 12 centigrade outside sustained for a few days before the temperature indoors falls below 16C which is my thermostat setting.. The aircon at home is set to kick in when temperature indoors rises above 18C but only at night and during the daytime only at weekends if I am indoors.

Aircon at 18c?! Sounds like when I went to the US and everywhere was freezing cold - massive use of energy for making it stupidly chilly. I would never air condition below 24-25c and then only to 22c at the lowest. In the same way I never heat above 20-21c - if its cold out you don't expect it to be 'hot' indoors and if its hot out you don't expect it to be cold indoors. Just wasteful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Turned it on this morning while I was getting a shower, so it was warm when I got out.

I turned it off when I came out so it doesn't become too warm, only for someone to turn it on again! We're a spoilt and wasteful family I suppose..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Shenanigans this morning when the missus snuck the radiators on. Was having none of it so chucked her and the kid out back to do a few press-ups. Weren't cold anymore I can tell you, actually moaning about being too warm..... Cold - pah! When I were a lad (etc etc) we woke up to ice on the inside of the windows,fires that you had to make,not start with a button,backsides hanging out of our keks,soles of shoes hanging off blah blah. Those were the days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

We have been in the process of replacing our windows on our house.

In the last month we have had the front up-stairs windows replaced with triple glazing, as the front of the house faces west-north west, these have made a huge improvement.

Probably the biggest improvement is the fitting of new doors to our conservatory. When we moved to our house 5yrs ago we fall in love with the open plan aspect of not having doors from our dining room into the conservatory, but quickly found out when the cold weather set in that the house was impossible to keep warm.

But now I'm sitting here with no heating on & room temp is 20c.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Shenanigans this morning when the missus snuck the radiators on. Was having none of it so chucked her and the kid out back to do a few press-ups. Weren't cold anymore I can tell you, actually moaning about being too warm..... Cold - pah! When I were a lad (etc etc) we woke up to ice on the inside of the windows,fires that you had to make,not start with a button,backsides hanging out of our keks,soles of shoes hanging off blah blah. Those were the days.

Surprised she hasn't chucked you out to live in the shed yet! :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had to put the heating on last night for a while as it was pretty chilly. We dont put it on much till late october.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Today I booked the boiler service for early October so it won't be long now !

Could do with a fire in the living room tonight but I'm trying to make do with the flicker of candles and a fleecy throw !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There's a rule in my house (well, my parents' house that I still live in!) that the heating doesn't come on until November 1st at the earliest and is off en masse by March 1st and completely by April 1st unless something highly unusual happens like the snow in October 2008 and in April 2008. Fortunately, my room faces WSW so still gets the sun even in cool/cold weather so I don't need heating on - the chill comes on dull days and can even be the case in high summer if in the wrong airmass.

Personally I'm a high temperatures person, nearly always wearing trousers unless in a heatwave and often wearing a light jumper even in summer. I do however sleep with the window open most nights when it's not very windy. Last night however, the temperature fell to 5.2C and it was the first night I kept my window closed since about May I think.

Posted

Today I booked the boiler service for early October so it won't be long now !

Could do with a fire in the living room tonight but I'm trying to make do with the flicker of candles and a fleecy throw !

If you've got a modern condensing boiler that's money for old rope.

Nothing to "service" - just repair/replace when something (pressure switch or PCB) gives up.

Edited by rob48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The heating went on this morning.....as living out it the sticks it's been very noticable how chilly the last couple of nights have been

Posted

Getting mine serviced next week as it can often take 5 or 6 goes for it to get going (assume thermocouple is dodgy) making room stink of gas.

Still not running central heating (partly because of the above) but gas fire has been on since I got in bringing it up from 17.6c when I got in to the current 19.6c.

Trouble is even when I'm not cold my feet just end up like blocks of ice even in socks & slippers.

Posted

Getting mine serviced next week as it can often take 5 or 6 goes for it to get going (assume thermocouple is dodgy) making room stink of gas.

Still not running central heating (partly because of the above) but gas fire has been on since I got in bringing it up from 17.6c when I got in to the current 19.6c.

Trouble is even when I'm not cold my feet just end up like blocks of ice even in socks & slippers.

Good idea, don't try and light boiler until that's sorted.

Re: cold feet, more likely a circulatory issue with yourself than temperature related.

Posted

Mines not on yet. I'm not bothered as I have plenty of jumpers and blankets to wrap up in. I also live with a family of Bulgarians so I'm pretty sure they could survive a lot, even their son is still wearing shorts.

Posted

The season of Mrs S. going round turning up radiators and yours truly sneaking round after her turning them down again began this week when we got back from holiday. We've just about agreed on a compromise before the thermostats wear out :)

Posted

have been lighting the wood burner. In the country here and a frost pocket, so we have had several mornings around 3 to 4C, and it gets pretty chilly overnight. No central heating yet though.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Just nipped up and put on an electric heater to take chill off bedroom for a little while. First time this autumn.

House is damp and cold after all these weeks of sunless wetness.

A few weeks of sunny dry weather would do us a lot of good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Turned it on for 5 minutes to get things heated up. Trying not to leave it on too long, because it gets too warm too quickly.