Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Turned Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Whassamatter with y'all - it's still way too warm for heating! Sheesh, you all gurls or summat?

blum.gif

I bet you do not even have heating laserguy? cold.gif

Posted

blum.gif

I bet you do not even have heating laserguy? cold.gif

Ha, got a radiator in every room and double-glazed everything but yes I could happily do without either. Got a missus and kid to consider though,but they can't have the 'pipes' on until Nov', - any earlier is just being unacceptably soft! I mean,it's not like we're living in the Arctic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Whassamatter with y'all - it's still way too warm for heating! Sheesh, you all gurls or summat?

no, I just want to feel comfortable inside. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I could manage without heating most of the year, but my girlfriend tends to feel the cold quite a bit.

I bought her one of those snuggie blankets last year, so hopefully no complaints over the lack of heating for another few weeks yet!

Posted

Has everyone found out if they are entitled to free insulation from utility suppliers?

Six million hard-up households to turn off heating this winter while £50 million earmarked to help vulnerable people goes unclaimed

Six million hard-up households will turn off their heating this winter while £50m-worth of government cash earmarked to help vulnerable people cut bills could go unclaimed. The news comes as fuel poverty – when paying for heating eats up a tenth of someone’s income – is set to hit up to six million families.

Meanwhile energy firms are expected to increase the cost of gas and electricity, following Scottish & Southern Energy’s announcement of a 9 per cent increase in bills for its 8.4m customers from next month. Nearly four out of 10 families are worried they won’t be able to afford their energy bills this winter, and seven out of 10 of those will cut back on heating, according to Consumer Focus research.

Yet the average home could save £600 a year on energy bills through the soon-to-be scrapped Warm Front scheme. It aims to help the poorest households in England to make their homes warmer and cut their energy bills. The government grants offers home improvement measures worth up to £3,500 - £6,000 for those that need oil central heating – that could cut annual fuel bills by hundreds of pounds.

And it is being widened today to make more people living on low incomes eligible for the handout. It means even if someone has been turned down before, they may be able to get help this year. As the scheme is in its last year, charities and consumer groups are urging people to find out if they can claim. Mervyn Kohler, special adviser for Age UK, said: ‘Warm Front is being phased out. When this year’s budget is exhausted, that’s it. But so far, applications are really low, and the scheme may gift an under-spend back to the Treasury.â€

Over 2011-12 the scheme was under-spent by more than £50million, according to official figures. The number of applications for the scheme are again low this year with, across England just 11,766 people applying between April and July 2012. “A cold home is a serious health hazard, and older households - who are particularly at risk - can act now, knowing that by Christmas they will be warmer and better prepared for the dangers and worries of a cold winter,†advised Mr Kohler.

Gillian Guy, chief executive at Citizens Advice said: “We’re really worried people are struggling with their fuel bills because they live in homes that haemorrhage heat. “Yet there is lots of help out there to make your home warmer – especially if you are on a low income.â€

People can find out if they can get free help from Warm Front by calling 0800 316 2805 or by visiting their local Citizens Advice Bureau or Age UK.

http://www.independe...le-goes-unclaim

Warm Front Scheme contacts:

http://www.direct.go...ies/DG_10011328

Surprising how many people are entitled to free insulation and certainly worth pursuing through the link above or by contacting your energy supplier. The BBC's Paul Lewis said on Breakfast this morning, that everyone is entitled!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I was the last time I looked angel.gif

I think mine will be on by Sunday just to take the chill off the house morning and evening, I'll hold off on the winter duvet for now though !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes we have just succumbed to the chill in the house and upped the thermostat so it kicked in-just for an hour or two until it feels warm.

We have all the insulation so hopefully we wont be running the boiler for too long yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I look forward to saying the same to you next time the it rises slightly above room temperature outside again! :lol:

Posted

Got the woodburner fired up today, has been on once or twice this summer. I get all my firewood for free so usually hold off on the heating for as long as possible, probably another couple of months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Usually make do with the open fire this time of year until the first frosts, but chimney needs sweeping and not organised it yet. So heating has been on a few times. Live in a cottage with not the best insulation....mainly the windows.

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I think south of Watford you put the heating on when it falls below 20c ?

I think in Newcastle it has to be below -12c before you even consider going out with anything more then your underwear ?

http://www.thesun.co...-cold-snap.html

This thread is a bit insulting I guess for the hardened notherners some southerners wanted the thread to start in July acute.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted

yes i caved in only because my kids were saying it was cold going into the shower at 7 am,i try and wait till october,didnt happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

As long as I'm upstairs, I'm alright. 9.7C outside, 17C in the kitchen and feels cooler than that in the lounge/dining room. Must be at least 21C in my room though with the light on and computer going.

I shower the night before so I don't have the cold in the morning problem so have managed on these 5C mornings recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I lit the front room fire yesterday for the first time since all that rain in June. Its lit now too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Fit as a fiddle! I'm a hypochondriac so if I thought I was ill I would be at the doctors right now having extensive bloods tests.. lol

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Personally still haven't put mine on, though my housemate has a few times (for himself). Don't see why I need it....I'm a young buck and a duvet is just as handy.

Posted

Lit the new woodburner the night before last and have lit it every night since, going to be hard to stop now! Bit of pressure from the rest of the family to light it, usually hold out until October!