Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Turned Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

All these people with heating on in September! Y'all got medical conditions or summat? I'd be down the doc's sharpish,looking for an underactive thyroid or suchlike.

Well the living room was 16.2c when we got up around 10 this morning. With no sunlight to warm things the only way it would go from there is down. Our bodies would probably raise it by 0.5c (at best) assuming no other losses - of course there are other losses so overall it would continue to go down.

16c and lower just isn't a temperature to sit and work, read and so on in that we intended to do today. So on goes the gas fire which steadily raised it to 20c then off it went and now at 19.5c which is fine.

Besides keeping the house at lower temperatures produces mold problems from the excess condensation from showers/cooking which we'd like to avoid!

Posted

We had ours on for an hour or so today. Its rather early for us, but three consecutive days with mean temps in the 9C range and little sunshine meant the house dropped to 18.2C.

We're back at 20.3C after that hour though, so shouldnt need it on again for the time being.

Posted

Besides keeping the house at lower temperatures produces mold problems from the excess condensation from showers/cooking which we'd like to avoid!

I made 5 gallons of ale yesterday,and left the kitchen for an hour whilst the twin-element boiler did its thing. Got distracted and forgot about it. The ensuing fog extended from ceiling to floor and I couldn't see a thing. Every surface was dripping. Expecting lots of sticking doors soon. Still didn't fire up the heating tho'! How's your morning Botte'? Today has dawned exactly how I like it at this time o' year - dark,wet,windy and verging on cool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I made 5 gallons of ale yesterday,and left the kitchen for an hour whilst the twin-element boiler did its thing. Got distracted and forgot about it. The ensuing fog extended from ceiling to floor and I couldn't see a thing. Every surface was dripping. Expecting lots of sticking doors soon. Still didn't fire up the heating tho'! How's your morning Botte'? Today has dawned exactly how I like it at this time o' year - dark,wet,windy and verging on cool!

My Monday morning involved the following:

- Awaking to a cold, dull house with rain hammering on the skylight making the lyrics "I wish it was Sunday, that's my Funday" play loudly in my head...

- Cycling to work in pouring rain and getting soaked to my underwear.

- Having to cycle slowly due to surface water, higher traffic volumes, more pedestrians (students go back today) and the fact that my brakes don't work well in this wet.

- An ambulance turning its siren on right next to my ear and an arse in a big 4x4 trying to force me off the road by driving too closely (always those sorts of cars!).

So all in all a grand start! Didn't put the heating on though but its only 17.1c at home now and continuing to fall so it'll be on when I get in.

Those precious few warm, sunny mornings this year with empty roads & the feeling of being awake seem oh so distant already...

Posted

Heating on? Chance would be a fine thing!

I moved house last month and am living in a heatless hovel, with just one fan heater. At least it's a bungalow (showing my age, here!), so I can put the heater in the hallway and direct it into each room for ,say, an hour at a time, just to knock the chill off.

The damp walls don't help, nor do the crummy windows.

Only another 2 weeks to wait until the renovations start, until then it's multiple layers of clothes/bedding and lots of cups of tea.

Posted

My Monday morning involved the following.............

Or as those annoying teevee presenters are so fond of saying when the sun threatens to pop out - "gorgeous"!!

Noggin - is that you?!

Posted

Noggin - is that you?!

It sure is, laserguy.........and it's so good to be back!

cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heating was on yesterday afternoon, first time i think we have had to resort to heating on a afternoon in Mid September, usually its warm and sunny this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

I still dont have my heating on. I actually ran the airconditioning for half an hour last night to clear the humidity.

The best thing I have ever done was to have cavity wall insulation installed this year. It really has made a difference......highly recomend it.

Posted

No heating yet, AGA's on though - does that count?? Had a roaring fire instead as it's a rambling old place with draughty sash-windows, some of which even close - sort of. Jumpers...................!!

Posted

I still dont have my heating on. I actually ran the airconditioning for half an hour last night to clear the humidity.

The best thing I have ever done was to have cavity wall insulation installed this year. It really has made a difference......highly recomend it.

If only I could - but solid brick walls prevent that! Got the roof insulation done properly last year and it did help keep upstairs warmer. Doesn't help downstairs though as most heat clears off up the open stair case.

16.7c at home now and falling... hmm wonder if it'll hit same as outdoors. Prob won't as server & budgies might just keep it that 2c above!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

If only I could - but solid brick walls prevent that! Got the roof insulation done properly last year and it did help keep upstairs warmer. Doesn't help downstairs though as most heat clears off up the open stair case.

16.7c at home now and falling... hmm wonder if it'll hit same as outdoors. Prob won't as server & budgies might just keep it that 2c above!

Hiya, when you say "solid brick walls" are you saying that you dont have a cavity between your outside and inside walls?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Turned heating on for about 10 minutes this morning to take the chill out of the air, I usually try and hold off until early November though!

Posted

Hiya, when you say "solid brick walls" are you saying that you dont have a cavity between your outside and inside walls?

Yes - its an old pre 1900 coach house type building most definitely not designed to keep heat in but superb at keeping it out and getting rid of it. It'd be superb in the south of Spain...

Posted

No-one should have their heating on in September - you should be conserving energy to stop this nasty warming which is apparently freezing half of you to death! See what I did there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

amazingly enough im still sleeping with the windows open at night it has been that hot...average night time temps for this time of year should be around 0c..but not even getting into single figures yet.

Posted

No-one should have their heating on in September - you should be conserving energy to stop this nasty warming which is apparently freezing half of you to death! See what I did there?

On that theme I wonder what all these crap summers are doing to increase CO2 emissions as more folk jump on a plane to warm/drier places like southern/eastern Europe or it seems Iceland or Greenland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

amazingly enough im still sleeping with the windows open at night it has been that hot...average night time temps for this time of year should be around 0c..but not even getting into single figures yet.

Funnily I do the same, more because I like waking up with fresh air and coolness penetrating the room, it has been below 5c here already and I'm a coasty. The last 2 days I have only spent 23p on gas, that was for a shower and hot water for washing the dishes.

Posted

As an oldie my ch runs 0600-2400 every day of the year, set to 21C so hot water and the heating coming on when the thermostat triggers it. So its certainly on at the moment and has been on and off for a few weeks now.

Posted

As an oldie my ch runs 0600-2400 every day of the year, set to 21C so hot water and the heating coming on when the thermostat triggers it. So its certainly on at the moment and has been on and off for a few weeks now.

Crikey if I'd done that it'd be on almost all the time! This year we'd have probably had some downtime during late May (in daytimes anyway) and a few weeks in August but that's about it.

Finally got the boiler serviced but continuing to eek out using the gas fire on medium setting so far.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just started putting it on to take the morning chill off. Not needed in the evening so far expect to dry clothes off due to the rain!!