Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

14c. Broken cloud with sunshine.Breezy...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Had a grass frost last night, the first of the season IMBY.

Clear skies and sun rising now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Still rather showery here this morning with a feed off the Bristol Channel. Should dry out later though as the winds back SW and the fed is cut off. Around 8C.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/page8.htm

Posted

The showers haven't died out yet, they've been quite frequent here in the last 90 minutes. I thought they had gone because there was a

mostly clear sky from 09.30 for a few hours but it's changed back to how it was for the first few hours of the day.

I nearly posted on Monday that when Thursday was forecast to be a dry day it wouldn't be in this region, there are almost always showers

from the Bristol Channel in these set ups - you'd have thought forecasters would know that!

Posted

Weather warnings out everyday for the next 5 days across SW England for heavy rainfall.

Looks like quite a wet period of weather coming up, although one plus side is that a lot of the heaviest rain looks like falling during night hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

At least I only have to go out once tomorrow and the rest of the weekend I have off.

Posted

13c...Rather grey clouds on looking outside...20c Indoors...

Posted

And more showers have formed over Somerset pushing NE towards the Bath/West Wilts region at the moment. There have been at least a few

showers throughout the day whether moving NW-SE as this morning, W-E as through the lunchtime/early afternoon period or SW-NE

as they are now - and they are showing up on the radar as being very heavy.

I wonder what has caused them to continue throughout the day, usually under a ridge of HIGH pressure the showers would die out entirely with

no more rain until the arrival of the frontal system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

And more showers have formed over Somerset pushing NE towards the Bath/West Wilts region at the moment. There have been at least a few

showers throughout the day whether moving NW-SE as this morning, W-E as through the lunchtime/early afternoon period or SW-NE

as they are now - and they are showing up on the radar as being very heavy.

I wonder what has caused them to continue throughout the day, usually under a ridge of HIGH pressure the showers would die out entirely with

no more rain until the arrival of the frontal system.

I thought it was supposed to be a high pressure influenced day, however, my current barometer reading is 1009.4hpa, so maybe it was a low pressure ridge. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

So how much rain will we get tonight and over the weekend I wonder? Looks pretty harmless on the radar at the moment... Maybe I'm wrong. Guess it'll pep up when it hits the cool air. Interesting times! Though I do hate this time of year, roll on winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

So how much rain will we get tonight and over the weekend I wonder? Looks pretty harmless on the radar at the moment... Maybe I'm wrong. Guess it'll pep up when it hits the cool air. Interesting times! Though I do hate this time of year, roll on winter!

wait until it starts hitting land and slows down, it will start dropping more rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Yes the rain is nearly knocking on bristols back door .raining steady and moderate at ilfracombe .some heavy bursts being reported across devon and cornwall by Truckers .it looks like its still to develope some v hvy bursts as we head towards midnight ,probably clearing 3/4am .then the next dose arriving tomorrow evening ,this could produce some v hvy downpours .so we start sunday with high river levells plus ground water will be high with local streams full .then the possibility of another dose of persistant rain later sunday and monday . my neighbour works for a large road and construction firm ,they are on stand by for large rainfall totals over the next 5 days . first spots now hitting window pane facing s,west ,but only very light .take care gang ,drinks.gif

Posted

Here are a few tweets from Ian Fergusson covering the next few days;

W COUNTRY: Cumulative impact of heavy rain tonight, Fri night & again late Sun is cause for concern: follow @EnvAgencySW for flood status

Modified UKMO-NAE model indicative of heaviest rain (orange/red) into W Country circa midnight on into early hrs... pic.twitter.com/qOadX0U4

Single event totals will vary locally from 10-20mm widely with local higher values but concern is the cumulative impact to Monday

to be clear, this is Sunday into Monday or tonight?" 3 bouts: tonight, Fri night, & later Sun-Mon (uncertainty re latter)

Posted

A good call from the Met re this areas rain last night with 18mm falling from the event. Currently overcast and threatening but dry at the moment. awaiting tonight's event. Relatively mild near 11C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

An interesting night just passed by in Newbury, only 9.6mm of rainfall but with some fascinating data.

Check out the attached image as I think it has all the hallmarks of a warm core depression. The top windspeed was only 30mph @ 0501bst but that only tells half the story.

post-7183-0-37188700-1349424671_thumb.gi

Posted

11c. Damp underfoot.Grey clouds...20.5c indoors.Go to bed with Wellies on Saturday nigt then will be ok for the same attire to mid week.....

Posted

Looks like the rain is setting in across the region now.

Moderately heavy rain here currently, it's here for a while if the radar is to be believed.

Edited by AWD

Posted

An interesting night just passed by in Newbury, only 9.6mm of rainfall but with some fascinating data.

Check out the attached image as I think it has all the hallmarks of a warm core depression. The top windspeed was only 30mph @ 0501bst but that only tells half the story.

post-7183-0-37188700-1349424671_thumb.gi

Very interesting.

My max for the day so far (since midnight) is 14.5c which must have come overnight as it was 11.2c at 07.00 and I've only seen it up to 13.7c when the sun was hazily shining before the current rain began.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Not much rain here at the moment ,had about 15mm last night ,plus another 6mm this afternoon till about now [9pm ish ] looks like a good batch gathering to the s/west ,so im expecting steady rain to arrive here about 11pm gradually getting heavier by midnight .there is the potential of 25mm of rain falling in 3 hrs and probably a very hvy burst towards its end .then all eyes on late sunday into monday , but exact synoptics still uncertain .but the potential for more prolonged rain is certainly a good posibility .along with this comes localised flooding issues .then looking much further ahead ,rather autumnal and cool . dont think iv known a year with so many weather watches and warnings .and certainly topsy turvy weather , providing that the azores high stays away ,we could be in with some interesting weather to take us to the end of the year .drinks.gif bring it on .

Posted

Currently at Westbury, Wiltshire & it's a lovely Autumnal morning.

Patchy ground frost with low level mist rolling around the fields as the Sun starts shining over the White Horse.

Posted

A much better morning here this morning with the frontal cloud having moved away SE and the sun already doing it's work. 9C.

Posted

9c ..Light E.N.E.breeze..Some cloud..Sunny....(Just up the hill from GIBBY)..20.5c Indoors on thermostat...

Posted

Is anyone else's garden still sodden?

I moved house in August so I don't yet fully "understand" my new soil, but it is not much better than a bog in places!

Do I just put it down to the deluges we've had ever since I moved or might I have dodgy soil?

Posted

Is anyone else's garden still sodden?

I moved house in August so I don't yet fully "understand" my new soil, but it is not much better than a bog in places!

Do I just put it down to the deluges we've had ever since I moved or might I have dodgy soil?

Its probably just rain might as well wait until we get 2 weeks of dry weather!!!!!!!!!!!! next year lol