Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (karin) - Severe Weather Discussion - Day 2 To 6

Coast

Posted

Cold, dull, blustery, and lots of torrential rain - other than that it's a perfectly okay day!

31.75mm today so far (currently falling at a rate of 22.50mm per hour!), coupled with the 14.75mm from yesterday afternoon.

Bish

22.5mm an hour is torential rain an hour of that would cause issues and few hours would cause national news issues. Lets hope its just short duration downpour and not sustained

Posted

22.5mm an hour is torential rain an hour of that would cause issues and few hours would cause national news issues. Lets hope its just short duration downpour and not sustained

It's eased a bit now (thank goodness!), although judging by the rainfall radar the West Midlands is still set for at least another couple of hours of the heavier stuff.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We had 18mm of rain from 9:35am-10:30am. Proper belted it down, had over 44mm now in the last 24hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Rain's easing up here now but the wind is picking up in its place.

Posted

Raining steadily here in Belfast and has been for a few hours. Although the precipitation isn't particularly heavy I can see that 24 hours more of this is going to produce some interesting results.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Picked up only 7.3mm rain at 10BST. Plenty of steady rain since then and rough wind.

Please can someone give me the link to the website which shows the "naming" of European low pressures. Local primary school class. midtst weather study, are asking about KARIN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Wind pickign up pretty gusty in Littleborough now!

rained all morning, cant see it letting up either!

Posted

Surface wind has changed from Easterly to now a Westerly and the wind starting to pick up slightly at moment, setting the way for a very windy afternoon for southern areas it seems.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Quite a nice squall line has formed stretching from Staffs southeastwards down to the Oxford area, very intense ehoes, and I can confirm that that radar is bang on as it's absolutely torrential rain here now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Steady rain without wind suddenly changed to torrential with trees thrashing around, as though someone just flicked a switch. Pressure 985 and still falling.

Posted

Picked up only 7.3mm rain at 10BST. Plenty of steady rain since then and rough wind.

Please can someone give me the link to the website which shows the "naming" of European low pressures. Local primary school class. midtst weather study, are asking about KARIN.

Any weather site could start naming these systems, it unofficial naming.

This is a split of tropical storm Nadine, named nadine by NHC official. It is just a area of tropical moist air interacting with jet stream and different temperatures, much like many Autumnal storms do.

On here for fun we call it Child of Nadine which is a little more accurate than Karin.

I would not make too much of the name Karin, Honestly my website floodwarn or here on Netweather they could name every system from now till xmas, and probably the media would pick up on it.

actually for a scientific experiment with the media perhaps Netweather should name them, i will use same names on my floodwarn site and see if daily telegraph et al picks up on it, now that would be fun........... shall we indulge

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a nice squall line has formed stretching from Staffs southeastwards down to the Oxford area, very intense ehoes, and I can confirm that that radar is bang on as it's absolutely torrential rain here now

Yep has been tipping it down again here, certainly a line across Staffordshire down to these parts. Just going to add to the already saturated ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Wet and windy here in Darlington but as yet the rain isn't overly heavy

Latest so far

7.1mm of rain has fallen since midnight

Pressure is 991.8hPa

Temperature is 10.2°C

In the 2 and a bit hours since my last post the latest is

The rain continues to fall light up to 9.1mm now

Pressure is falling down to 988.7hPa now

Temperature is rising slightly at 10.8°C now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest NMM 36 hour rain total forecast is out & it's Nth Wales, Nth England and E Scotland bearing the brunt with 60-80mm+ totals here...

post-2-0-93519100-1348483538_thumb.png

The rain is going to have to go some to reach those totals of 50mm to 70mm in the north east by 18:00 tomorrow unless we get an almighty downpour we've had just 9.1mm in 12 hours here so far It seems as if all the heavy stuff has moved further west then first predicted

Posted

I would not make too much of the name Karin, Honestly my website floodwarn or here on Netweather they could name every system from now till xmas, and probably the media would pick up on it.

actually for a scientific experiment with the media perhaps Netweather should name them, i will use same names on my floodwarn site and see if daily telegraph et al picks up on it, now that would be fun........... shall we indulge

That sounds like a good idea..

Can we name the next one Lucy?

Posted

The rain is going to have to go some to reach those totals of 50mm to 70mm in the north east by 18:00 tomorrow unless we get an almighty downpour we've had just 9.1mm in 12 hours here so far It seems as if all the heavy stuff has moved further west then first predicted

Have you looked at the radar Gavin???!!!

Posted

Have you looked at the radar Gavin???!!!

The embedded squall line thats passing through the West Midlands heading NE looks ominous.

Posted

Posted

Any weather site could start naming these systems, it unofficial naming.

This is a split of tropical storm Nadine, named nadine by NHC official. It is just a area of tropical moist air interacting with jet stream and different temperatures, much like many Autumnal storms do.

On here for fun we call it Child of Nadine which is a little more accurate than Karin.

Thanks for this --. I thouht I saw a list on yesterdays thread. Just a bit of fun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I am in Sileby , North of Leicester today, and it has been raining here now for 24 hours.

Just to the west of me I can see a very heavy precipitaion band (you can see it on the radar going NW to SE between Nottingham and Birmingham.

I drove through it half an hour ago and it is VERY heavy. This line seems to be the pivot point.