Cold Weather Chat and Ramping Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Just off to work now:

post-12721-0-45018500-1350722272_thumb.j

rofl.gifgood.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

Loving the aka Dec 2010 wall of High pressure wanting to build in the Atlantic , but in reality come on guys we will need a lot Colder uppers to get lowland Snow into the UK. Although if the situation can sustain it can build fairly quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Lincs got plastered in Dec 10, got a supercell in June and they want more!?!? Get lost. diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Calling all SACRA members please pass on this important information to anyone who you know that isn't a cold lover.....

Three top tips for warm lovers on how to prepare for the winter season…..

Step 1 - Cry

Crying is a useful first step, not only because it releases anguish and dread for the upcoming winter season, but it also gets rid of excess tears which would no doubt freeze in your body otherwise. It is important to note that when wiping away your tears, you should NOT use tissues that have been layered with any type of moisturising lotion, as that will only add to the potential icing danger.

Step 2 – Book a Trip South

While the Gods have cursed you with a yearly mini ice age, they have also bestowed upon mankind the gift of flight. From any major city across the land, air planes leave each day to exotic tropic locations where the only ice that can be found is the type that floats tranquilly in a refreshing alcoholic beverage.

Step 3 – Fake an Injury At Work

A wonderful extended vacation can get very expensive. In addition, as employment law and human rights tribunals have not yet recognized the inalienable right to ‘tan and keep warm’, employers are often reluctant to let workers depart for months on end. The only rational solution is to fake an injury at work and then claim long term disability benefits. For those who might be adverse to such a technically ‘illegal’ activity, please keep in mind that you may also choose to sustain a real injury. Heavy equipment can be found at most workplaces, and with a little the help from gravity, you could be well on your way to some sun and fun.

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Any chance of a definition of "ramping"?.. i think i get the gist but want to be sure. Not a term i've heard before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Any chance of a definition of "ramping"?.. i think i get the gist but want to be sure. Not a term i've heard before

ramp

noun

a sloping surface connecting two levels; incline. for sledging down after a snowstorm

a short concave slope or bend, as one connecting the higher and lower parts of a staircase railing at a landing. after a lot of heavy snow

any extensive sloping walk or passageway. be very careful when it's thick with ice and a snowstorm is blowing

the act of ramping. up the propects of snow

Also called boarding ramp. a movable staircase for entering or leaving a cabin door of an airplane. more difficult to move in a blizzard

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

To be honest, all I'm looking for this Winter is enough to stop me getting off the drive...

106338.jpg

car-buried-deep-under-snow.jpg

snow-car_1573943i.jpg

romania-cars-burie_1574361i.jpg

ZeroSilence3_100_4285-sm.jpg

harris-czech-republic-cars-in-snow.jpg

IMG_4865.JPG

Posted

Coast,

sadly for me that isnt an option of getting snowed in as my wheels for the winter are........ !!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Coast,

sadly for me that isnt an option of getting snowed in as my wheels for the winter are........ !!

Is this Glutton Bridge area..?

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Struggling with the de-icer today..

post-7292-0-06597500-1350809337_thumb.jp

Shot from 01/12/10 in the throws of a Beasterly..

post-7292-0-46209600-1350809414_thumb.jp

then the following cold froze the River Ayr.

post-7292-0-44959800-1350809656_thumb.jp

Oh, and this horrible stuff.. who can forget..

post-7292-0-68694900-1350809822_thumb.jp

Favourite pic of a streamer dumping on Auld Reekie. boom.

post-7292-0-62165500-1350809721_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

oops.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

It is PM yes !!

Just a few miles from me...good.gif

I want a Hugglund, would of come in very handy the last few winters. And hopefully this one !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow !

Just a few miles from me...good.gif

I want a Hugglund, would of come in very handy the last few winters. And hopefully this one !

Hi PM

Just joined the other day, and I notice we may live in the same village....

I tend to read these forums during winter as the weather tends to affect my daily commute to Stockport somewhat - if we do live in the same village I expect you understand my issues :) Despite that, I always wish for lots of snow!

I don't have much weather knowledge, just find this all interesting.

Posted

Hi PM

Just joined the other day, and I notice we may live in the same village....

I tend to read these forums during winter as the weather tends to affect my daily commute to Stockport somewhat - if we do live in the same village I expect you understand my issues smile.png Despite that, I always wish for lots of snow!

I don't have much weather knowledge, just find this all interesting.

Hi MM,

The nearest village to me is Middleton By Youlgrave which is around half a mile away. Yes i understand your commute to Stockport can be very tricky in winter, from around these part's for sure !

NetW is certainly the right place to keep up to date on the weather prospects over winter in detail. Keep checking the MOD thread for long range trends, you will soon pick things up.

Welcome aboard.

Posted

Hi MM,

The nearest village to me is Middleton By Youlgrave which is around half a mile away. Yes i understand your commute to Stockport can be very tricky in winter, from around these part's for sure !

NetW is certainly the right place to keep up to date on the weather prospects over winter in detail. Keep checking the MOD thread for long range trends, you will soon pick things up.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks.

Middleton by Wirksworth for me smile.png

OK, newbie here, but I thought I'd add a short video clip I took in April this year...was stuck there along with many other for best part of 2 hours as visibility was zero.

Edited by muddymickey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

ramp

noun

a sloping surface connecting two levels; incline. for sledging down after a snowstorm

a short concave slope or bend, as one connecting the higher and lower parts of a staircase railing at a landing. after a lot of heavy snow

any extensive sloping walk or passageway. be very careful when it's thick with ice and a snowstorm is blowing

the act of ramping. up the propects of snow

Also called boarding ramp. a movable staircase for entering or leaving a cabin door of an airplane. more difficult to move in a blizzard

lol.. Basically it's going to snow and I won't hear anything to the contrary.. thanks ESS

Posted

I'm hoping for another commute to work like this one, a couple of years ago :)

...but am hoping not to repeat this stupidity: