Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

snow vs weather lovers...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters

interested to know how much of a traffic spike there is on here in the autumn/winter months vs spring/summer?

personally, i am a snow freak and therefore only tend to log in from the point that 'serious' winter forecasts get posted.

what about the rest of you?

Posted

I think there are quite a few of us in the summer still (being a storm lovers aswell), however snow is the overwhellming favorite weather type, this is probably because it isnt common. but year the are still some of us on in summer maybe a third of the traffic than december/january time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I post year-round as my interest in weather spreads well beyond snow. In fact, it was the experience of thunderstorms as a child that sparked my interest in meteorology.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

I only found this website in August but I think I will be logging on all year round as there is always someting interesting to read and I love the summer as well as winter. Who needs Facebook when you have Net Weather, much more interesting on heregood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think of myself as a "weather lover" as I enjoy quite a wide range of weather types and can find something of interest in most types of weather, bar sheets of stratus/stratocumulus. However I do have two main "passions"- convective events and snow events- and thus you'll often find me joining in with the excitement over snow events in the winter, though I sometimes find myself wishing that there was more overall interest in other types of weather as well.

In the summer half-year the cold/snow lovers largely vanish and we get a lot of convective/storm lovers populating the convective discussion threads, while the model output thread tends to reflect a strong desire for persistent high pressure, so in effect a split between desire for two different kinds of "summery" weather, but in general there is less interest in either of those than there is re. snow in winter.

Often the transition between the two takes the form of an abrupt switch which happens around early to mid March and again around early to mid October, when the level of contributions changes and so does the prevailing desired type of weather, although I recall that this year's spring saw more of a gradual transition.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm mostly with TWS, in that I find an interest in most weather types except the days of drab greyness that can be associated with stratus / stratocumulus, especially being near the North Sea coast.

My favourite weather type is probably severe gales though, even though I now fear the loss of roof tiles etc. My whole weather interest was possibly started as a young child, by a very severe gale on the night of 2nd January 1976 - lots of trees down and my neighbour's greenhouse blitzed. I can't be too sure of this though, as I can remember several thunderstorms from before before this and I'm fairly sure I can remember a radio report on the 'Super Outbreak' of tornadoes in the US, on 3-4 April 1974 - I was six years old then.smile.png

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm here all year.

I'm not quite as interested in some types of weather however during the summer and Autumn i frequent the hurricane section of the forum and also in every season i am a fan of extremes but in particular outside of winter.. sunshine (last March was brilliant here). In winter i am obviously gung ho for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i post all year round too..im not fussed about snow cold or storms because i get more of those weather types than you can shake a stick at..i live in an area that has a continental weather type..rather than maritime..i do miss those breezy sunshine and showers type weather you get back home..i dont get that here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I'll be an all year round poster, I am always looking for extreme weather events, in Summer I'll be hoping we get extreme heat good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I of course am here all year and have been for almost a decade now.

Overall we're busiest Nov-Jan and quietest after the cold stops in Feb/March.

Personally my interest is strongest in summer as the weather has more of an affect on daily life than it does in winter. In winter interest steps up if its going to be _really_ cold or snowy but otherwise I'm not that thrilled as average winter weather is just cold but not interesting cold... Overall I fail to understand the winter obsession - snow is indeed great but its such a small part of the UK winter that its hard to look forward to it as a period of time that for the most part is an expensive pain in the backside. But that's me! (and plenty of other people I know).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I wouldnt really say i am an extreme weather fan, rather a pleasant weather fan, but i do like the odd extreme event providing it occurs at the right time, e.g. thunderstorms from Spanish plumes. What interests me more is the forecasting and model watching side of things.

Posted

I'm here all year 'round. That's 365 days too much I think for some :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'm on here all year too and, irrespective of my personal preferences, I find all weather interesting to some degree, if only to see how the more boring spells fit in with the weather patterns as a whole.

I'm also addicted to recording it and have detailed daily records going back 50 years; and not a day missed.

Posted

Hi Guys I'm new here love reading your comments I'm a big snow fan and I was wondering when it will snow in London maybe in the east part of London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

0n here all year, but miles more interesting in winter in the evenings, especially with cold on the way, website quiet and boring in summer

I am a snow fan, and general cold, but if no snow, I want it dry, I would rather have dry mild bartlett 14C type stuff than rain at 2C (or any temp)

Posted

Hi Guys I'm new here love reading your comments I'm a big snow fan and I was wondering when it will snow in London maybe in the east part of London.

Not for ages.

I'm on here all year too and, irrespective of my personal preferences, I find all weather interesting to some degree, if only to see how the more boring spells fit in with the weather patterns as a whole.

I'm also addicted to recording it and have detailed daily records going back 50 years; and not a day missed.

I'm the same re finding all weather interesting to some degree. I dislike heat but like the odd heatwave, mostly so I can collect interesting statistics.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think I'm a weather lover, if it's interesting then I'm interested, that covers just about all type of weather.. however I'm interested in the small bits too, like temperature differences at a local level, the effect of sea vs the effect of the loss of heat of land during radiation frost, things like that (I am in the perfect position to find that interesting).

I'm not a winter lover as such, but I appreciate interesting weather, which, includes snow.

I don't like cold weather but I find it interesting to see how cold it can get both in Europe and UK.. I even found myself egging on the lowest temperatures possible in Europe last year.

Posted

What do you mean not for ages?... Like how long till it snows?

yes! Nobody knows when it will snow in east London, might not be until February, might be next week, just wait and see and keep on checking on this forum for updates.

Posted

yes! Nobody knows when it will snow in east London, might not be until February, might be next week, just wait and see and keep on checking on this forum for updates.

Thank you. I really do hope It snows!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Although I am a posting newbie on this forum, I have read most days, all year round for the past couple of years. The child in me likes snow and my children and dogs love it but I am interested in the weather all year round. It is more the model and forecasting side of things because I like to plan ahead a bit because of my lifestyle.

Living on a farm, the weather is important and so we rely on forecasting and I look at the models to see if I can pick up on trends etc. In the spring and summer I look for dry, warm spells to plan when to go off butterfly hunting or just general wildlife photography and its also useful to see if I can hang my washing out!

I am interested in the extremes but am also wary of the dangers they bring. My great gran was killed by lightening and I have had a very close near miss and have been indirectly hit. But I remember the fascination thunderstorms bought me as a child, we had some absolute crackers in the valley i lived as child. I remember one lasting 12 hours as it seemed to go around and around like it was stuck in the valley. It contained flooding, lightening strikes, massive thunder cracks and a lightening ball rolling along the school playground. Scary but exciting to a 7/8 year old.

Edited by Cirrostratus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

im here all year round though i have my weather pref i like looking at all types of weather here at home and around the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

About double the normal amount of traffic during the winter I think, can be very quiet during the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

About double the normal amount of traffic during the winter I think, can be very quiet during the summer.

Amazing how many more 'experts' start filling up the output model discussion in winter v summer. You can have 30 pages in a day v 30 pages in 3 weeks for the summer.

I think the fast majority on here prefer cold/snow in the winter but not all.