Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps 2012-13 Weather and Skiing Discussion Thread

J10

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

watch the first skiing above Kleinne Scheidegg, from the start area of the Lauberhorn, 3 lifts at the top open this weekend.

What an amazing webcam! Absolutely stunning.

Posted

Grand Tourmalet (Bareges-le mongie) high in the pyrenees has had lots and lots of snow, and it's a good ski resort virtually empty during the week but full of spaniards at the weekend!

http://www.n-py.com/fr/hiver/grand-tourmalet/domaine-skiable/webcams.html

I recommend it highly if you want good skiing without the queues.

Posted

Nice photo. Bet you are excited for your trip.? Not long now. Our season official starts next weekend, however our latest forecast is for a storm over Friday night and into Saturday morning with -26c windchill on the mountain. So skis may have to stay in storeage for a while longer but snow mobile in working operation

Looking good for further widespread snowfall in many Alpine Resorts, even to lower levels.

C

Hi Carinthian,

How did the opening day of the season pan out for you??

Yes really looking forward to a white Christmas in Russbach! and very very envious re the snow mobile!!....although it looks like we won't be needing one here in the UK this week ( it's nice to get away from all the sniping and bitterness in the model thread!)

As our local snow hound I was wondering if you had a view as to what the big change in the GFS outlook means for central Austria? I've looked at the ski forecast and was suprise that you're predicted to hang on to sub zero temps, even at low altitude (850m). I wondered what the local forecasters are saying? And will this change bring more/less precip? What will the new outlook mean for others further west?

Posted

MT8_Genf_ens.png

Some large spikes in precipitation for Geneva there. If this goes down the December 2011 route then it will be brilliant for the season as a whole but unlucky for those who suffer from a second week of zero sunshine, flat light and constant snowfall in two years. Of course, the latter is what you want before you arrive. Why can't I be going this week?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Hello everyone. I haven't posted here before but I have studied and written about alpine weather and snowfall patterns all my life and now run a website www.weathertoski.co.uk

I deliberately avoid automated feeds and personally update the site daily. Would be glad to throw in a few comments and opinions in here this winter...

Posted

Well, today was almost as perfect a day as you could wish for in the Alps - if you don't mind the cold! (Almost) wall to wall sunshine, frigid temperatures and an exceptionally deep snow pack in the north-western Alps (2-4 times deeper than average for the time of year). Starting to turn milder tomorrow, with more snow for some over the next few days, but at higher altitude than we have seen recently. More thoughts on how good an early season this is in my blog http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/blog-is-this-the-best-ever-start-to-the-ski-season/

Well, today was almost as perfect a day as you could wish for in the Alps - if you don't mind the cold! (Almost) wall to wall sunshine, frigid temperatures and an exceptionally deep snow pack in the north-western Alps (2-4 times deeper than average for the time of year). Starting to turn milder tomorrow, with more snow for some over the next few days, but at higher altitude than we have seen recently. More thoughts on how good an early season this is in my blog http://www.weatherto...the-ski-season/

Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing your contributions

http://forum.netweat...-december-2012/

The latest Alps forecast has now been released, and the summary is below.

Alps / Europe Past week

The forecast last week suggested a mostly dry week over the Alps and cold or very cold. As ever the following link gives the latest conditions http://www.snow-fore...views/tips_full this seems to suggest that the bas forecast was right at least until Thursday. However much milder weather has swept across the Alps today or tomorrow for much of the Alps.

This week for the Alps in Summary - Some forecasts are quite easy, when it is turning much colder or when turning much milder, but this week is much trickier to pinpoint, turning milder, but with carting snow levels, and no 2 days re the same, with some rain and snow likely to most resorts. The heaviest of the precipitation in the west, and at this stage, most resorts over 1500m are likely to see snow depths rise this week, but snow depths are likely to fall below this due to thaw and more rain than snow.

Edited by Jackone

Now that some resorts are open I'll start doing a regular look at snow depths at various resorts. Taken from http://www.skiclub.c...ts/default.aspx

Resort (Country), Lower/Upper Slopes, Last Snow, Snow last 7 days, Piste, Off Piste

Wengen (Switzerland) 55/110cm, 15 cm on 11 Dec, 15cm (Last 7 days) Excellent, Varied

Avoriaz (France) 130/160cm, 10 cm on 11 Dec, 20cm (Last 7 days) Closed (yesterday), Powder

Bareges-le mongie (France) 80/120cm, 10 cm on 5 Dec, 0cm, Excellent, Packed

Fitzmoos, (Austria)* 70/90cm, 20 cm on 12 Dec, 45cm, Excellent, Packed

Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40/90cm, 20 cm on 11 Dec, 25cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked

Borovets (Bulgaria) 40/55cm, 5 cm on 10 Dec, 25cm (L7) Resort not yet open for season

*10 miles from Russbach

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Now that some resorts are open I'll start doing a regular look at snow depths at various resorts. Taken from http://www.skiclub.c...ts/default.aspx

Fitzmoos, (Austria)* 70/90cm, 20 cm on 12 Dec, 45cm, Excellent, Packed

*10 miles from Russbach

Thanks Jackone.

Not looking to be a great week ahead with, as you said earlier, temps up and down bringing both rain and snow.

Outside the reliable I know, but GFS seems keen to throw some particularly warm air at the alps for Christmas eve. Yuk!!

I'll not be happy to be skiing in the rain on Christmas day!!...that's why I abandoned Scottish skiing years ago.

If Russbach lets me down I'll have to head higher next year ....and no doubt we'd then have record low temps!

Posted

It's called sods law Kiwi!

Anyway IF GFS is correct it turns much colder at 850mb by Boxing Day and the latter end of its run you will need your thermals!

oh to be in 'my' area now

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I always thought a freeze thaw cycle was good for the snow pack???.

I think you're right in that it stabilises the snow pack, although cold temps and snow for me thanks.

... but I'm rather concerned about too much thaw and the lack of freezing for many of the lower level runs!!

Cold temps, light snow showers and sunshine for Christmas please.

.... GFS 12 z forecast showing base +1.7 and top -3.6 with light snow for me on 25th, so with a bit of movement in the right direction as we move out of FI ....and she'll be right mate!

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl

Hopefully the conditions in Val d'Isere will be up to scratch for my visit from 30th Dec to 7th Jan ... although knowing me it will be just my luck for me to be in the Alpes whilst the UK is in severe cold and snow :p

Posted

Evening all. I'm in the Tirol (Hochfugen) right now and can confirm that there has been a massive rise in temp in the last couple of days. Rained a bit up to 1500m today with a few cm of fresh higher up. No need to worry though, cover is still good all the way down to the Inn Valley at 500m. So much going on in the Alps right now, but the most the most eye-catching story for me is the 1m + that Serre Chevalier in the southern French Alps has received in the last 48hrs. Here, the avalanche risk was 5/5 today, very unsual indeed in this particular area...

Edited by weathertoski

Posted

Absolutely stunning

By the way John did you see that European railway show which featured the Jungfrau railawy.

no I missed that-was it good?

Posted

thanks Julian I hope to be able to renew hundreds of hours on the Jungfrau part in time, stiunning winter and summer. I would also hope some day to do some of the other journeys commented on.

thanks for telling me about this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Thanks for the Borovets mention Julian!

Comparing to recent years, they seem to have gotten off to a good start.

Cold and snowy there this week - great to see a decent base getting put down!

:)

Thanks for the nice comments, seeing as I am doing these forecasts, and snow reports it makes sense to focus them on places people are going to, if you are going on holiday and want your resort added, just mention it in this thread.

Latest Resort Updates

Taken from http://www.skiclub.c...ts/default.aspx on 18 Dec. Previous Update 15 Dec

Resort (Country), Lower/Upper Slopes, Last Snow, Snow last 7 days, Piste, Off Piste

Wengen (Switzerland) 40cm/100cm [ 55/110cm], 10 cm on 17 Dec, 20cm (L7), Excellent, Powder
Avoriaz (France) 160cm/200cm [ 130/ 160cm], 34 cm on 18 Dec, 69cm (L7), Powder, Powder
Bareges-le mongie (Fra) 80/120cm [80/120cm], 10 cm on 5 Dec, 0cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked
Fitzmoos (Austria)* 65cm/75cm [ 70 / 90 cm], 5 cm on 18 Dec, 25cm (L7), Fresh, Fresh
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 50cm/80cm [ 40 / 90 cm], 10 cm on 18 Dec, 10cm (L7), Fresh, Fresh
Borovets (Bulgaria) 35cm/55cm [ 40 / 55 cm], 2 cm on 15 Dec, 2cm (L7), Good, Varied

*10 miles from Russbach

Most resorts seem to have fresh snow over the past couple of days, replenishing snow amounts, after a thaw over the weekend.

Looking at freezing level forecasts this rising towards the end of this week reaching 1500m-1800m in west, always much colder in east, Although chance at weekend of rising to 2000-3000m across the Alps, which would have thawing implications.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Quiet on here.

GFS seems to have firmed up on a spell of very mild air and some very heavy rain (anywhere below 2000m) across the Alps from Sunday 23rd through until Christmas day.

I'm not overly happy with this....but being Christmas .....if it's raining I'll be putting my feet up with copious amounts of gluhwein and Jagermeister! Temps start to fall a bit later on Christmas day so I'm hopeful of some decent skiing on the higher pistes in the latter part of the week.

Can the lower pistes (currently 50cm) stand up to the torrential rain forecast for Sunday ?.....100mm !! and temps of 5c??

Edited by Kiwi