Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps 2012-13 Weather and Skiing Discussion Thread

J10

Time for the updates just before the new year.

Wengen (Switzerland) 30cm/164cm [60cm/110cm], 10 cm on 28 Dec, 25cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (31 Dec)
Avoriaz (France) 170cm/210cm [180/200cm], 1cm on 29 Dec, 38cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (31 Dec)
Filzmoos (Austria)* 80cm/90cm [65cm/85cm], 10 cm on 28 Dec, 10cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (31 Dec)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40cm/115cm [50cm/80cm, 10 cm on 28 Dec, 10cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (31 Dec)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 40cm/90cm [35cm/55cm, 15 cm on 22 Dec, 0cm (L7), Good, Varied (31 Dec)
Couchavel (France) 104cm/175cm [106cm/185cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Grommed (31 Dec)

Latest Ski Depths

Time for the updates after the new year.

Wengen (Switzerland) 35cm/105cm [30cm/164cm], 10 cm on 2 Jan, 10cm (L7), Hard Varied (4 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 189cm/220cm [170cm/210cm], 7cm on 1 Jan, 27cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (4 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40ccm/ 10cm [40cm/115cm], 5 cm on 2 Jan, 5cm (L7), Excellent, Fresh (4 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 40cm/90cm [40cm/90cm], 15 cm on 22 Dec, 0cm (L7), Good, Varied (4 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 101cm/167cm [104cm/175cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (5 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 51/171cm [n/a], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (5 Jan)

http://www.snow-fore...views/tips_full latest ski conditions.

As for Trento which resort in the area are you going to.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Just to say thanks for the various snow info for my Christmas trip to Russbach (Dachstein West), Austria.

I can confirm, that although relatively mild for the time of year we had plenty of snow....enough to ski on and enough to make our driveway as challenging as an icy black run!(steep although doesn't show on photo)

post-1808-0-08633700-1357464264_thumb.jp

Christmas eve....from what I've been told ...a bit brighter than back in blighty!

post-1808-0-13715100-1357464413_thumb.jp

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

Preparations for the Lauberhorn are beginning by the looks of things, you can see that the start hut and the run itself has already been closed off with netting, the same at the finish. Race is a week next Saturday with Combined before and the Slalom on the Sunday.

http://panocam.panomax.at/lauberhorn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Just back from road trip around the Haute Savoie. Generally speaking the snow was still excellent above about 1500m. Below this level, however, the numerous freeze/thaw cycles + some rain on New Year's day meant that conditions were hard and icy. Natural skiable snowline on north facing slopes about 1000m and this rule could be applied to most of the northern french and western Swiss Alps. Beginning to turn colder tomorrow with snow for some over the next few days but as we all know, very difficult to know what will happen next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

With all eyes on the UK, it is of course turning more wintry in the Alps too! Snow has reached the north-western Alps this afternoon with 20cm+ likely by tomorrow lunch in Wengen (John)!

Posted

With all eyes on the UK, it is of course turning more wintry in the Alps too! Snow has reached the north-western Alps this afternoon with 20cm+ likely by tomorrow lunch in Wengen (John)!

yep watching this closely, both model outputs and the ski web cams-thanks

Posted

how about a snow fix thread?

In this area but with photos, videos from those areas that many of us know in the Alps or elsewhere, even the Scottish ski resorts should be all over white in a day or two.

I'll start the ball rolling with guess where?

how about a snow fix thread?

In this area but with photos, videos from those areas that many of us know in the Alps or elsewhere, even the Scottish ski resorts should be all over white in a day or two.

I'll start the ball rolling with guess where?

Seems good to me.

Time for me to update the Snow Depths at Various Resorts.

Latest Ski Depths

Wengen (Switzerland) 35cm/105cm [30cm/164cm], 10 cm on 2 Jan, 10cm (L7), Hard Varied (4 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 189cm/220cm [170cm/210cm], 7cm on 1 Jan, 27cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (4 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40ccm/ 10cm [40cm/115cm], 5 cm on 2 Jan, 5cm (L7), Excellent, Fresh (4 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 40cm/90cm [40cm/90cm], 15 cm on 22 Dec, 0cm (L7), Good, Varied (4 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 101cm/167cm [104cm/175cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (5 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 51/171cm [n/a], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (5 Jan)

Wengen (Switzerland) 50cm/125cm [35cm/105cm], 25cm on 11 Jan, 26cm (L7), Powder, Powder (11 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 205cm/215cm [189cm/220cm], 10cm on 11 Jan, 12cm (L7), Heavy, Heavy (11 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 35cm/ 135cm [40cm/110cm], 15 cm on 6 Jan, 15cm (L7), Good, Varied (11 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 70cm/120cm [40cm/90cm], 5 cm on 6 Jan, 5cm (L7), Good, Varied (11 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 120cm/151cm [101cm/167cm], 10cm [L3], Snow Type : Packed Powder (12 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 45cm/166cm [51/171cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : n/a (12 Jan)

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We're going to Westendorf in the Ski Welt area of Austria at the start of March.. hoping the depths improve a little! Its the lowest resort I've ever been to so a little nervous about how much snow there'll be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

We're going to Westendorf in the Ski Welt area of Austria at the start of March.. hoping the depths improve a little! Its the lowest resort I've ever been to so a little nervous about how much snow there'll be.

Low resorts can suffer but I went to Soll a few years back and skiid over to Westendorf. I remember being told by locals that it has a localised climate inasmuch that it is a snowtrap and depths there are generally greater than other parts of the Ski Welt.

BFTP

Posted

superb day for the combined with about 15 mins to go to the start-this picc from where they start the downhill. Apparently someone clocked over 96mph in one of the training runs earlier this week! Be lucky if I ever get to much more than half that speed!

link

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Livecam

picc

post-847-0-15140900-1358504141_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Low resorts can suffer but I went to Soll a few years back and skiid over to Westendorf. I remember being told by locals that it has a localised climate inasmuch that it is a snowtrap and depths there are generally greater than other parts of the Ski Welt.

BFTP

Yes I'd heard it seems to do well despite its low level so fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

A while since I posted on Netweather, but seeing as I am touring the Alps this winter, thought I may as well chip in.

Snow overall this season has been great - currently in Lermoos and just enjoyed a nice powder day with clear blue skies good.gif

Off to Matrei in the morning for a week.

Anyway, to view current conditions of wherever I am you can see my posts on my YouTube channel:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/NoProSkiChannel?feature=mhee

Happy skiing people

Posted

sad the web site went down as the Lauberhorn was run but at least it was run and preparations well under way, see link below, for the slalom tomorrow, probably run in falling snow but that is no problem. Highly dangerous on the downhill though with cloud and poor visibility

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Livecam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Wow, what a cold week this has been. -14C this morning at Salzburg Airport .A bit too cold for me on the slopes. However, the cloud and snow has given a break for those to ski in winter wonderland scenes for the past 2 days. Just had a week in Saalbach and returned to a snowy Sussex coast this afternoon. Back in Katschberg in a few weeks time, via a weeks ski-ing in Lech. Going for a pint of Harveys tonight, makes a change from Muhr lager !

c

Seems good to me.

Time for me to update the Snow Depths at Various Resorts.

Wengen (Switzerland) 50cm/125cm [35cm/105cm], 25cm on 11 Jan, 26cm (L7), Powder, Powder (11 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 205cm/215cm [189cm/220cm], 10cm on 11 Jan, 12cm (L7), Heavy, Heavy (11 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 35cm/ 135cm [40cm/110cm], 15 cm on 6 Jan, 15cm (L7), Good, Varied (11 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 70cm/120cm [40cm/90cm], 5 cm on 6 Jan, 5cm (L7), Good, Varied (11 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 120cm/151cm [101cm/167cm], 10cm [L3], Snow Type : Packed Powder (12 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 45cm/166cm [51/171cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : n/a (12 Jan)

Time to update those snow depths.

Wengen (Switzerland) 45cm/125cm [50cm/125cm], 9cm on 17 Jan, 22cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (19 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 220cm/260cm [205cm/215cm], 15cm on 16 Jan, 25cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (19 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40cm/ 145cm [35cm/135cm], 10 cm on 17 Jan, 23cm (L7), Excellent, Powder (19 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 70cm/120cm [70cm/120cm], 2 cm on 18 Jan, 2cm (L7), Good, Fresh (18 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 127cm/168cm [120cm/151cm], 10cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed, Moderately Good (20 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 58cm/188cm [45cm/166cm], 6cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed, Excellent(20 Jan)
Westendorf (Austria) 55cm/135cm [n/a], 0cm [L3], Snow Type Powder/Packed Powder (20 Jan)

Edited by Jackone