Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps 2012-13 Weather and Skiing Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

I'll let you know first hand for 2 weeks Julian, about to set off for Manchester, fingers crossed that I arrive on time at Geneva tomorrow!

remember to watch the downhill, some nut case did over the ton on it (Frenchman I think), gawd be lucky if I exceed 45mph!

I'll let you know first hand for 2 weeks Julian, about to set off for Manchester, fingers crossed that I arrive on time at Geneva tomorrow!

remember to watch the downhill, some nut case did over the ton on it (Frenchman I think), gawd be lucky if I exceed 45mph!

Have a good time ,John.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Some extraordinary weather in the Pyrenees recently. Cauterets now has an upper base of 475cm! The highest in Europe (by a mile).

Posted

Yeah the Pyrenees seems to get ignored a bit, Bareges/La Mongie has had incredible amounts of snow, metre after metre.

Yeah the Pyrenees seems to get ignored a bit, Bareges/La Mongie has had incredible amounts of snow, metre after metre.

I can certainly add that resort to the roster. The forecasts used to include the Pyrenees, but generally there wasn't that much call for them and with the weather there often to being quite different to the Alps, meant you either put a lot of work in to deal with the area correctly or not do it all. So currently the forecasts do indeed ignore the Pyrenees as mentioned.

Would people like it if the Pyreness were added to the forecast.

Posted

I'd love it, i'm in touch with some people there and i had a great holiday there, a different type of french ski resort but good non the less!

Posted

Cauterets my nearest resort has an incredible 475cms on the upper slopes! 395cms on the lower ones.

Expected to turn milder over the next few days but the freezing level should still see those upper slopes hit the 500cm mark!

Time to update those snow depths.

Wengen (Switzerland) 45cm/125cm [50cm/125cm], 9cm on 17 Jan, 22cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (19 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 220cm/260cm [205cm/215cm], 15cm on 16 Jan, 25cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (19 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40cm/ 145cm [35cm/135cm], 10 cm on 17 Jan, 23cm (L7), Excellent, Powder (19 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 70cm/120cm [70cm/120cm], 2 cm on 18 Jan, 2cm (L7), Good, Fresh (18 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 127cm/168cm [120cm/151cm], 10cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed, Moderately Good (20 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 58cm/188cm [45cm/166cm], 6cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed, Excellent(20 Jan)
Westendorf (Austria) 55cm/135cm [n/a], 0cm [L3], Snow Type Powder/Packed Powder (20 Jan)

Wengen (Switzerland) 40cm/120cm [45cm/125cm], 5cm on 21 Jan, 5cm (L7), Hard, Tracked (26 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 210cm/c50cm [220cm/260cm], 10cm on 22 Jan, 20cm (L7), Good, Tracked (26 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40cm/140cm [40cm/145cm], 3 cm on 25 Jan, 3cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (26 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 60cm/120cm [70cm/120cm], 4 cm on 24 Jan, 4cm (L7), Fresh , Fresh (25 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 116cm/155cm [127cm/168cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (27 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 63cm/198cm [58cm/188cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (27 Jan)
Westendorf (Austria) 55cm/135cm [55cm/135cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type Powder/Powder (27 Jan)

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Excellent snow conditions in most Austrian Resorts. Damn cold the past couple of weeks with a lot of cloud but sun out this weekend . Should be enough snow to withstand this weeks gradual warm up. Prospects look good again for substantial snowfall next weekend and into the following week with the excellent ski-ing season reachings its peak period.

c

Excellent snow conditions in most Austrian Resorts. Damn cold the past couple of weeks with a lot of cloud but sun out this weekend . Should be enough snow to withstand this weeks gradual warm up. Prospects look good again for substantial snowfall next weekend and into the following week with the excellent ski-ing season reachings its peak period.

c

Always good to have your input, on the spot reports are always more informative than plain figures.

Posted

Cauterets my nearest resort has an incredible 475cms on the upper slopes! 395cms on the lower ones.

Expected to turn milder over the next few days but the freezing level should still see those upper slopes hit the 500cm mark!

Hi Nick - yes I was in the Haute-Pyrenees last weekend on what was supposed to be a multi-centre press trip, but there was so much snow, many of the resorts (eg La Mongie) were cut off! It then rained for 36hrs (to 2200m) before dumping it again on the Saturday night. There were some disgruntled journos but meteorologically speaking it was quite a trip! Pretty sure I have never seen any Pyreneen resort hit the 500cm base mark - or even close!

Posted

Well just over a week to go until I depart for Livigno and conditions seem to be half decent with snow to come this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed they have a snowy week coming up, followed by sun when I get out there. However, this is often wishful thinking!!

Wengen (Switzerland) 40cm/120cm [45cm/125cm], 5cm on 21 Jan, 5cm (L7), Hard, Tracked (26 Jan)
Avoriaz (France) 210cm/c50cm [220cm/260cm], 10cm on 22 Jan, 20cm (L7), Good, Tracked (26 Jan)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40cm/140cm [40cm/145cm], 3 cm on 25 Jan, 3cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (26 Jan)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 60cm/120cm [70cm/120cm], 4 cm on 24 Jan, 4cm (L7), Fresh , Fresh (25 Jan)
Couchavel (France) 116cm/155cm [127cm/168cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (27 Jan)
Livigno (Italy) 63cm/198cm [58cm/188cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (27 Jan)
Westendorf (Austria) 55cm/135cm [55cm/135cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type Powder/Powder (27 Jan)

It is time for the weekly update to snow depths in different resorts.

Wengen (Switzerland) 65cm/160cm [40cm/120cm], 30cm on 2 Feb, 38cm (L7), Excellent, Powder (3 Feb)
Avoriaz (France) 230/270cm [210cm/250cm], 10cm on 3 Feb, 81cm (L7), Powder, Tracked (3 Feb)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 40cm/145cm [40cm/140cm], 25cm on 3 Feb, 38cm (L7), Powder, Powder (3 Feb)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 110cm/160cm [60cm/120cm], 4 cm on 24 Jan, 0cm (L7), Good, Varied (1 Feb)
Couchavel (France) 130cm/220cm [116cm/155cm], 10cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (3 Feb)
Livigno (Italy) 65cm/192cm [63cm/198cm], 5cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (3 Feb)
Westendorf (Austria) 55cm/135cm [55cm/135cm], 15cm [L3], Snow Type Powder/Powder (3 Feb)

Edited by Jackone

Posted

A lot more snow to come for the northern Alps this week, particularly the north-western Alps. Somewhere like Avoriaz could easily clock another meter of fresh in the next 72hrs. Less snow, generally speaking, for the southern Alps but conditions here are still very good.

Posted

Is it me, or does it look like being really cold this week (and maybe next week) in the Alps. I'm seeing top temperatures of -15 on Friday/Saturday for Livigno and a good chance of snow most days. Better take my thermals!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good covering of snow in resort. The cold continues, however lack of sunshine the past few weeks makes difficult at times.

C

Posted

Is it me, or does it look like being really cold this week (and maybe next week) in the Alps. I'm seeing top temperatures of -15 on Friday/Saturday for Livigno and a good chance of snow most days. Better take my thermals!!

Def staying cold for a good while yet. Can't see a huge amount of new snow for Livigno though. Most of it over the next few days will be on the north side (particularly NW side) of the Alps. Generally speaking just a few dustings on the Italian side - though things could change next week...

Posted

Def staying cold for a good while yet. Can't see a huge amount of new snow for Livigno though. Most of it over the next few days will be on the north side (particularly NW side) of the Alps. Generally speaking just a few dustings on the Italian side - though things could change next week...

Well, there you go! Latest ECM now has the low in a prime spot in the Med to deliver snow to the southern side of the Alps on Monday- including Livigno! I'm actually off to Madesimo next week, which isn't far away, so will be following with particular interest.

post-18264-0-35516500-1360093735_thumb.g

Posted

Well, there you go! Latest ECM now has the low in a prime spot in the Med to deliver snow to the southern side of the Alps on Monday- including Livigno! I'm actually off to Madesimo next week, which isn't far away, so will be following with particular interest.

great stuff, cant wait to get out there

Posted

Reports of thundersnow in northern French Alps this evening as active cold front moves through!

Posted

Well I hope the ECM verifies! Still a few days away though. Also, I don't fancy snowboarding through blizzards all week, not nice! It's a tough one, I love the snow but want a nice holiday too....ah one day of epic snow won't hurt will it?!

Posted

Any updates on how it's looking next week? I've seen heavy snow Monday into Tuesday for Italy maybe. Is this the case? I hope the ECM above is close to reality, I must admit to not looking too much into the Model thread recently, as of course it's focused so much on the UK and snow prospects here!

Edited by stuboy

Latest Alps forecast. http://forum.netweat...-february-2013/

Some really good conditions over the Alps over recent day and these not changing for next week.

Some heavy snow in parts of Italy for Monday. but perhaps missing Livigno in the main.

By the way I did download an incredible video of accumulating snow in Livigno in the 2000-2001 winter, but cannot seem to find it.

Edited by Jackone