Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sky at Night and Patrick Moore

Posted

Anyone saddened by the recent extended edition of November's Sky at Night? Patrick Moore introduced and signed off at the end of the programme but that was it. It's sad that Patrick's involvement in the programme is becoming less and less for obvious reasons, he's 89.

I hope we see a bit more of Patrick in the next month's edition and he's not reduced to introducing and saying goodbye now.

Posted

He's been fantastic but I think there's no need to have him wheeled on like this, it almost hints that when he can't do it the programme will end?

It must be stressful travelling to London and spending most of a day at least doing it.

Posted

I understand that most of the programme's studio-discussion element is filmed in Sir Patrick's house. But he has been increasingly hard to understand, and perhaps it is for that reason that his contribution has become less and less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yes, I agree with all the comments above. I saw him live in Felixstowe, maybe 12 -14 years ago. He has declined an awful lot in the meantime, even if he was still quite elderly then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Bearing in mind he was the one who started this program, and of course he loves doing it, so he will film to the bitter end.

Posted

Yes I saw Patrick do a live show about 8 years ago - despite his age he was very with it back then. I remember someone asked about the Apollo moon missions being a hoax and he really steamed into them!!!

Steve M

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I often end up missing the show because its not on regularly but i do love it and could see Prof Brian Coz taking the reigns and injecting some new life into it.

I suspect if that happened and they gave it half an hour after the 10pm news for example we could eventually see an 8 or 9pm hourly show.

Posted

I understand that most of the programme's studio-discussion element is filmed in Sir Patrick's house. But he has been increasingly hard to understand, and perhaps it is for that reason that his contribution has become less and less.

Yes, he has a lovely house and garden down in Selsey.(We visited a number of years ago)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Noticed this also, he definitely contributes less every month now. However, I do wonder if Brian Cox will be taking over.

Posted

Given that they seem to be giving a large amount of the programme over to amateur, observational astronomy and that Chris Lintott has been on there for years as the resident professional astronomer, I doubt the BBC would want to spend extra cash on getting Brian Cox. I certainly can't see them turning it into an hour-long mid-evening show.

Posted

I certainly can't see them turning it into an hour-long mid-evening show.

Given the need to get kids interested in science I think it would be a programme that could very much fill that kind of slot. It needs the same treatment as Countryfile had. It doesn't need dumbing down, just made more interesting to the younger end. Science can be exciting and astronomy is certainly that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

He is a true legend, got me into astronomy and speding my money! However, I have noticed this too, sometimes I don't understand what he says, but nevertheless a great tv programme.

Posted

Given the need to get kids interested in science I think it would be a programme that could very much fill that kind of slot. It needs the same treatment as Countryfile had. It doesn't need dumbing down, just made more interesting to the younger end. Science can be exciting and astronomy is certainly that.

I wish it would happen; I just can't see the BBC doing it. I hope I'm wrong.