Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion: 12Z (02/12/12) And On...

Methuselah

Posted

Great for norhern scotland/northern ireland and coastel fringes but not every where else at this stage, but general trend looking good.

Rtavn1861.png

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The current modelling situation reminds me very much of 2010. Not in the final evolution of synoptics but more in the way we get there.

It is like one of those word games where we know the starting word and end word but they need changing letter by letter in between. Well, we know the start position and we can guess the end position ( Scandi high) but the transition from A to B has yet to be decided yet - with numerous solutions offered.

We will get there in the end!

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

It's very similar to this morning's ECM at that time range.

Its worse, at least with this morning's ECM there was a decent mid-atlantic ridge and the LP in the Atlantic was a good deal further south, on the UKMO thats just going to cut through any HP that is trying to form, much like we saw with this cold set-up which prevented the gangbuster synoptics some models painted from happening.

UKMO has just about the worst case for future cold we could get from the current evolution.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

UKMO 12z looking much closer to the GFS 06z than the 12z (at 144h that is).

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think the lack of comment on the 144hrs UKMO says it all

A poor run imo, let's hope the gfs has spotted a new trend

In general I think the gfs is leading the charge this Winter and the UKMO has temporarily reached the cannon fodder!

One can only wonder at what you would call a 'good run', JS?

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

I think the lack of comment on the 144hrs UKMO says it all

A poor run imo, let's hope the gfs has spotted a new trend

In general I think the gfs is leading the charge this Winter and the UKMO has temporarily reached the cannon fodder!

You have got to be joking?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

at 144 hours:

UN144-21.GIF?02-17

UKMO would probably end up with a scandi high

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

GFS would have us lead to a Greenland high. take your pic!!

I would personally prefer a scandi high. not from a IMBY perspective

but because the residual energy will put up a fight against a Greenland high formation.

Note on the GFS 12z how the low heights desperately cling to Northern Greenland. Despite strong ridging, A "proper" Greenland high does not form

IMO, we need the Azores to link up with the Siberian high. This is the route to sustained and significant cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

If I was to be critical about this run I would say this low pressure (over UK) needs to head further south and east, but this is just retrospective at this very early stage

Rtavn1621.png

Chances are the GFS is over strengthening the low, if the system was weaker we'd see it further East. Not a bad run by the GFS bar that small detail, UKMO doesn't look ideal, though! A lot flatter than the GFS.

I wonder what the ECM will bring!

Posted

Its worse, at least with this morning's ECM there was a decent mid-atlantic ridge and the LP in the Atlantic was a good deal further south, on the UKMO thats just going to cut through any HP that is trying to form, much like we saw with this cold set-up which prevented the gangbuster synoptics some models painted from happening.

You may be right - my thinking is it's between this morning's 144 and 168 charts from the ECM - as I would envisage that low around iceland heading SE and ridging behind it - but we'll never know due to there being no 168 hour chart! diablo.gifsmile.png

Edited by beng

Posted

The current modelling situation reminds me very much of 2010. Not in the final evolution of synoptics but more in the way we get there.

It is like one of those word games where we know the starting word and end word but they need changing letter by letter in between. Well, we know the start position and we can guess the end position ( Scandi high) but the transition from A to B has yet to be decided yet - with numerous solution offered.

And I think this is a great example of that:

gfsnh-0-288.png?12

gfsnh-0-300.png?6

Despite all the differences between the 6z and 12z inbetween, they still end up at an almost identical position by +300

SK

Posted

This run clearly went wrong around 168h when those shortwaves in the svalbard region where just too prevalant, we need a pressure rise in this area to have a real shot at a good easterly/northeasterly.

Rtavn1681.png

End result

Rtavn3001.png

In my oppinion better run <144h, poor after. I think we may have just seen one of the worst possible endings there, expect some crackers in the esembles me thinks smile.png

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

It is like one of those word games where we know the starting word and end word but they need changing letter by letter in between. Well, we know the start position and we can guess the end position ( Scandi high) but the transition from A to B has yet to be decided yet - with numerous solution offered.

As you say Scandi high looking more probable although its FI,many runs have suggested this....for example at 312hrs:

post-17320-0-97871700-1354466407_thumb.p

Edited by panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

at 144 hours:

UKMO would probably end up with a scandi high

GFS would have us lead to a Greenland high. take your pic!!

I would personally prefer a scandi high. not from a IMBY perspective

but because the residual energy will put up a fight against a Greenland high formation.

Note on the GFS 12z how the low heights desperately cling to Northern Greenland. Despite strong ridging, A "proper" Greenland high does not form

IMO, we need the Azores to link up with the Siberian high. This is the route to sustained and significant cold.

Yes, the 12z attempt to raise heights over Greenland just confuses matters, hopefully it's on its own as it sits in the ensembles. In the near time frame the path of the low is very much up for grabs, most models are keeping it as far North as the 12z, even further so in fact.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

He is right, there will be no cold spell later on if that 12z UKMO comes off, its NOT good at all...

That doesn't sound good Kold, do you think the cold spell is over and a return to mild conditions is the form horse?

Posted

He is right, there will be no cold spell later on if that 12z UKMO comes off, its NOT good at all...

Okay...My apologies JS.good.gif

And I was even looking at the wrong model!fool.gif

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

12z GFS is fine, its not the super cold set-up some runs in recent days have had, but its certainly cold enough and we keep blocking nearby or to our north throughout.

Compared to that HORROR show of a UKMO run, this is light years better...

Posted

It's only one run, chill. UKMO has performed poorly start of this winter anyways.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

At the end of the day, no models will make one iota of difference to the eventual outcome. The weather's gonna do what the weather's gonna do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Whats peoples thought's on the snow for tomorrow after tonight's updated models? still the same areas in for the snow?

Posted

12z GFS is fine, its not the super cold set-up some runs in recent days have had, but its certainly cold enough and we keep blocking nearby or to our north throughout.

Compared to that HORROR show of a UKMO run, this is light years better...

You know it's going to be a cold winter when charts like these: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?carte=1021&ech=144&nh=1&archive=0

are being called a horror show.